Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst Half Of Skins Football Ever?

P'Oed

Nah, Pats game was way worse. Nothing new, different cast, same script...

Patriots game from a few years ago, SB vs. Raiders, maybe MNF against 49ers in the early 2000's, MNF vs. Packers in 2001, but I don't think we will EVER see anything like 1940 vs. Bears (73-0)...23 years before my time.

Can't believe no one has brought up the game at FedEx two years ago when the Skins dominated the Giants in the first half (up 17-3 at the break) only to fall asleep in the second half and lose 24-17.

That game was particulary galling because of the Giants goal-line stand at the end of the game to keep the Skins from tying it up. Washington wins that game, they are 3-0 and New York is 0-3 and in a huge hole. Instead New York wins, ends up squeaking into the playoffs and then won the freakin Super Bowl.

Can't believe no one has brought up the game at FedEx two years ago when the Skins dominated the Giants in the first half (up 17-3 at the break) only to fall asleep in the second half and lose 24-17.

That game was particulary galling because of the Giants goal-line stand at the end of the game to keep the Skins from tying it up. Washington wins that game, they are 3-0 and New York is 0-3 and in a huge hole. Instead New York wins, ends up squeaking into the playoffs and then won the freakin Super Bowl.

The follow up to that game was in NY. Todd Collins orchestrated the win.

Please don't take this as some BS joke thread. I'm being completely serious when I ask my fellow ESers: were the first 30 minutes of the December 21st' date=' 2009 edition of Monday Night Football the worst you've ever seen this team play? To me, this was the perfect concoction of awfulness. The constant hitting of our QBs, the inability to generate ANYTHING offensively, the defense spoon-feeding the Giants 24 points and the cherry on top; the unbelievably stupid special teams play to end the quarter.

Can you think of any half worse than this one? I honestly can't.[/quote']

The second half gave it a run for it's money. By then, they had flat out given up.

I don't remember the last time I heard them get RIPPED by the announcers as badly as they have tonight. But they deserve to be ripped. Awful! Just awful.

:anon:

it hurt to hear a pretty tame torico rip into us ...when dude called the swinging gate embarrasing, that really stung.

This was worse than the Pats game. The Pats were doing that to everyone at the time. They turned that game into a horse race and we didn't have the thorougbreds to keep up.

This was painful. The Giants out-schemed us. Out-hit us. Out-thought us. Out-executed us. And did it methodically. It was a slow motion torture in which they eventually exploited every single one of this teams' flaws.

Guys...I don't know what you are complaining about. We are on the right track. Let's just give Zorn and JC another season to figure things out. They are making so much progress. Also, the guys are just getting used to Blache's system. It takes time! Things have gotten so much better, let's just give it another season...championship!

No.

One of our worst halfs ever came during out best season ever. Our first game vs. the Giants in 1991 started out almost exactly like last night. The Giants had 3 long drives and we had 2 3-and-outs. (though I think we had a garbage drive to end the half to make the stats look better) The time of possession was big time lop sided and we went into the half down 13-0.

As for lack of effort, the first Eagles game of Gibbs II immediately comes to mind. That was the game where we refused to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage and would run sweeps on 3rd and long. (though I suppose that game was more confusing than lacking effort)

Only 1st halfs and dating back to 2001 here are a couple of contenders.

2001 vs. Chiefs

Score: 28-10 Chiefs (final 45-13)

Total Yards: 301 to 126 (final 546 to 218)

2002 vs. Eagles (MNF)

Score: 23-7 Eagles (final 37-7)

Total Yards: 243 to 105 (final 451 to 179)

2003 vs. Cowboys

Score: 14-0 Cowboys (final 27-0)

Total Yards: 132 to 124 (final 326 to 161)

2005: at Giants

Score: 19-0 Giants (final 36-0)

Total Yards: 261 to 34 (final 386 to 125)

2007: at Patriots

Score: 24-0 (final 52-7)

Total Yards: 258-113 (final 486 to 224)

Last night

2009: vs Giants

Score: 24-0 (final 45-12)

Total Yards: 232 to 78 (final 387 to 302)

So in terms of 1st halfs anyway, the leader in the clubhouse is still that 2005 debacle in the Meadowlands.

Archived