Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsweek: Why the Redskins Still Win Despite Losing

Awesome

I stopped reading when they said Snyder "fired" Cerrato.

Please get your facts straight if you get paid to write professionally.

Sure it was in the press release that Cerrato resigned but everyone with half a brain really knows what happened behind closed doors.

"Snyder took a very under-marketed asset and squeezed every last cent out of it," says Dan Kaplan, finance editor at The Sports Business Journal. "He's turned the Redskins into a cash machine. And the result is a completely soulless, corporate product."

That's the quote that spoke to me, it's so true. Thanks, Dan! You took a great team and ruined it.

"He's bought radio stations, charged fans to watch players sweat through training camp, and opened 14 Redskins retail stores to sell as many jerseys, hats, and Redskins' paraphernalia as possible."

- What? Since when does he charge us to watch training camp? I've gone multiple times and have yet to pay a single penny. This is the worst reporting I've seen since JLa, but I guess I should expect no less from the Post (Newsweek is owned by the Post).

- What's wrong w/opening stores to sell your product more? While we're at it, let's talk crap about the Post for DOING THE SAME THINGS (buying different forms of media, putting their brand out there more, etc); heck, any company who tries to make money. They need to get over it. If you own a business, the number one goal is to make more profit. If not, you shouldn't be in a business.

"Snyder took a very under-marketed asset and squeezed every last cent out of it," says Dan Kaplan, finance editor at The Sports Business Journal. "He's turned the Redskins into a cash machine. And the result is a completely soulless, corporate product."

That's the quote that spoke to me, it's so true. Thanks, Dan! You took a great team and ruined it.

Isn't that the truth. This author hit the nail on the head. Synder has been successful so far in squeezing $ out of this franchise. But that wouldn't have lasted if he kept Vinny, so he brought in Allen. Dan makes decisions based on dollars and cents. Otherwise, he would have fired Cerrato years earlier.

Vinney!! What are you doing here?

If you look at my post history, you will know that I don't support Vinny in any way.

You think Cerrato actually resigned? He was fired by a close friend who didn't want damage his buddies' reputation any further.
Sure it was in the press release that Cerrato resigned but everyone with half a brain really knows what happened behind closed doors.
Are you kidding me? Cerrato was given the option to save face and resign instead of be fired. But everybody knows he was fired.

I personally believe Snyder forced him out the door too. However, that's pure speculation. This isn't a gossip column.

What? Since when does he charge us to watch training camp? I've gone multiple times and have yet to pay a single penny. This is the worst reporting I've seen since JLa, but I guess I should expect no less from the Post (Newsweek is owned by the Post).

He charged for training camp one offseason. The only reason he stopped was that per NFL rules charging for training camp allowed other teams' scouts to come watch as well.

That stuck out to me too and I totally agree - like calling it Fedex field to make $7.6 million a year is just a minute piece of soul being sucked out of the franchise. I know it's the trend, but you know some teams have avoided it, like the Packers for example.

That stuck out to me too and I totally agree - like calling it Fedex field to make $7.6 million a year is just a minute piece of soul being sucked out of the franchise. I know it's the trend, but you know some teams have avoided it, like the Packers for example.

The Packers don't have a single owner, it's owned by the people. So it's totally different. Almost every major sports franchise has it's stadium named by a big corporate company.

Just be glad the team names aren't sponsored like they are for most professional soccer teams.

If you look at my post history, you will know that I don't support Vinny in any way.

I personally believe Snyder forced him out the door too. However, that's pure speculation. This isn't a gossip column.

It's speculation, sure, but it's hard to argue that Cerrato wasn't forced out since his replacement was announced about 90 minutes after his resignation. And he was on hand to conduct a press conference just a few hours after Cerrato's resignation.

IF all this noise the fans made hit Snyder and his wallet, then made him change his philosophy about running the team. Let us all hope next season the redskins win big. If the redskins can manage to win the division next season and the passion returns to the fans with a home playoff game, I bet that is all Snyder needs to stick with letting football people run his team instead of playing madden with the franchise.

You really think Vinny resigned voluntarily? Please. And Snyder just happened to hire Bruce Allen two hours later? It's semantics people. Point is, Vinny was forced out.

And more to the article's point: last night was another example of Snyder fleecing the fans. For all the faithful who actually braved the elemenns and busted their butts getting to FedEx last night, for that... well, clearly we've reached a breaking point, and Snyder knows it. Sooner rather than later his bottom line is going to be hurt.

The reality is that he *DID* fire Cerrato. The fact that Allen was already lined up when Vinny "resigned" makes that perfectly clear. Don't be confused by the fact that Snyder allowed Vinny to exit with grace.

Archived