Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think if we hire MS will we become Gibbs 2 again?

skinnyles

I can see us becoming what we were with Gibbs 2 with ALL the high priced coaches vying for their place in the coaching heirarchy. Remember... All these big named coaches and they weren't even talking to each other! I hope Bruce is strong enough to hold his ground when hiring the next Head Coach and not letting them run over him and try to bring all their own baggage.

That senario is what I feel would happen with MS. He won a superbowl too... so he thinks he is God also!!!! Thoughts before kickoff!!

Man, we just got rid of Vinney and you are already trouncing BA and a coach that is NOT EVEN HERE YET!

Holy crap, get a life. Let this come together first. We got one Christmas wish already, lets wait on the new years gift and then WAIT until they do something dumb before starting these hate threads.

The only thing that concerns me is that he might be doing this for his son.

And I hate nepotism.

He certainly isn't doing this for money.

Really? Kyle Shanahan is a successful OC and will probably get a HC opportunity within the next few years in spite of his surname or any machinations from his father.

Now if The Rat wants his son to be the OC, that's fine. This is someone who's been successful on his own and knows the offense that he wants to run to a T. It isn't like Kyle would be a Raph Wiggum clone eating paste on the sideline while daddy keeps him on the payroll....

I don't think Gibbs thought he was God. He made it a point of putting away his rings when he came back, knowing he would have to prove himself all over.

Gibbs was 62 when he came back and I think the problem was that it was difficult to imagine him lasting beyond the five years he signed up for. And despite making the playoffs twice in his four years here, you have to wonder if Joe felt like he was on course to make a legit SB run the next year......one unfortunately where he'd be without the services of the team's best player the previous year due to ST's tragic death. Coupled with the probable ill-advised course change in 2006 to Saunders as the OC, off a year where we hadn't done terrible offensively (although I'll grant we didn't set the world on fire in the playoffs).

Shanahan will be 58 next year and if he does land here, I can see him giving the team a good 8-10 years. If it does happen, lets hope its successful.

And I hate nepotism.

People said the same thing about Gibbs when he came back the first time, that it was for his son(Coy I think?).

I don't know if Shanahan is quite the leader Gibbs is/was, but he should be a better X's and O's guy. Gibbs worked magic with these guys that I don't think any other coach could duplicate.

Really? Kyle Shanahan is a successful OC and will probably get a HC opportunity within the next few years in spite of his surname or any machinations from his father.

Now if The Rat wants his son to be the OC, that's fine. This is someone who's been successful on his own and knows the offense that he wants to run to a T. It isn't like Kyle would be a Raph Wiggum clone eating paste on the sideline while daddy keeps him on the payroll....

Agree.

A week ago I wasn't a fan of Kyle coming in with dad

But then I looked at his resume.

Yea his dad certainly helped in him getting an NFL job, but he has worked his way up, from a walk on at Texas, to a GA at UCLA to finally getting to the Texans

It isn't as if though he hasn't earned his stripes, but like anything, it isn't always what you know but who you know, and Kyle has taken advantage of it

And I hate nepotism.

Joe Gibbs did the same thing. I remember him giving the main reason he got back into coaching football was to give his son(s) an opportunity to coach.

It isn't as if though he hasn't earned his stripes, but like anything, it isn't always what you know but who you know, and Kyle has taken advantage of it

True. If Kyle wasn't a talented coach, he'd still be doing QC for a team rather than being the youngest coordinator in the league.

Agree.

A week ago I wasn't a fan of Kyle coming in with dad

But then I looked at his resume.

Yea his dad certainly helped in him getting an NFL job, but he has worked his way up, from a walk on at Texas, to a GA at UCLA to finally getting to the Texans

I've watched a lot of Texans games this year - since I live in Houston now. They have a very good, well-balanced offense. The fact that they have been able to piece together a running game after Slaton's early season implosion is remarkable.

You rarely watch them and think, "Well...that play had NO chance of success." Which happens with the Skins 10 to 15 times a game.

The only problem is that he and Kubiak have a tendency to out-smart themselves sometimes. "We've run that ten yard comeback to Andre Johnson ten times this game. They have no chance of stopping it. We should therefore stop calling it."

The only problem is that he and Kubiak have a tendency to out-smart themselves sometimes. "We've run that ten yard comeback to Andre Johnson ten times this game. They have no chance of stopping it. We should therefore stop calling it."

OLS

Yea, some coaches tend to have that habit.

I do think Kyle has shown that he can coach a pro football team. His dad's name got him on the fast track but he has stepped up the challenge of being the OC with a pretty quality offense

It does help that he has a super stud WR in AJ

This will be different because Gibbs brought with him a lot of coaches and a system that was successful 20 something years ago. He was outdated, and by the time he figured it out with Al Saunders, it was too late. Shanny has been in the league up until last year. He's very aware of today's NFL. Him bringing his young son from Houston as OC with an offense that's one of the best in the league makes me even more comfortable with him as HC. I just don't want us switching to 3-4. I hate 3-4.

OLS

Yea, some coaches tend to have that habit.

I do think Kyle has shown that he can coach a pro football team. His dad's name got him on the fast track but he has stepped up the challenge of being the OC with a pretty quality offense

It does help that he has a super stud WR in AJ

Johnson has a tendency to make the play-caller look like a genius.

If I could list the five best reasons to live in Houston, getting to experience Andre Johnson is one of them. I never realized how incredible he was until I got here. It's a shame the Texans are perenially 8-8. He deserves a bigger stage.

Do you think if we hire MS will we become Gibbs 2 again?

I don't think so. Gibbs was just out of football for so long, that he was trying to play catch up for most of his stay. MS hasn't been out of football long. He's also younger than Gibbs. I think Shanahan would be the most logical and least gimmick hire in the Snyder era.

Archived