Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: FBO: New era for Redskins

bubba9497

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=4757680

click link for entire article

FBO: New era for Redskins

The hiring of Bruce Allen signifies change in salary-cap management for Washington

As the Washington Redskins embark on the Bruce Allen era, after the surprising resignation of longtime team executive Vinny Cerrato, the team also approaches an offseason that is set to be without a salary cap. Given the high-spending and name-recognition signings of past offseasons, one would think that the prospects of an uncapped year would be a dream come true for owner Dan Snyder. However, not only does the hiring of Allen signify a potential change in player-acquisition strategy, but it also could signify a philosophical change in salary-cap management for the organization.

A former agent, Allen is well versed in player contracts and the salary cap. In Oakland and Tampa Bay, Allen was responsible for the negotiation of all player contracts. As a cap guy, Allen is known in league circles for not only his creativity in the mechanics of player contracts but also for his creativity in the naming of these mechanisms. For example, per league sources, the contract that he negotiated in Tampa for center Jeff Faine included what the contract called "The I-4 Off-Ramp," providing Faine the opportunity to void the final four seasons of his contract by paying back a significant amount of his signing bonus. This mechanism of explicitly paying back signing-bonus money in order to void years of a contract was a creative and novel idea, almost as creative as naming the clause after the interstate that connects Tampa to the rest of central Florida. As Allen makes the move to D.C., look for contract language such as the "Beltway Buyback" or the "Orakpo Filibuster."

In addition to creative contracts, Allen brings to Washington a salary-cap management philosophy that, in Tampa, allowed that organization to accrue a league-high salary cap of $154 million in 2009. This philosophy is rooted in building your team through the draft because the younger your team is, the cheaper your team is against the cap, and then the resulting salary-cap savings can be used on one-off veteran signings who may help put your team over the top.

To illustrate: In 2009, the baseline or unadjusted salary cap for every team is $128 million; however, this cap gets adjusted up if a team rolls over unused cap space from the previous season. Under the watch and guidance of Allen over the past two seasons, Tampa rolled over $13.3 million and $25.6 million, respectively, resulting in Tampa's $154 million cap in 2009.

As teams such as the Vikings and Eagles can attest, this philosophy of increasing your adjusted cap provides a certain competitive advantage in player acquisition. In the case of Minnesota, which has a 2009 adjusted cap of $139 million, the increased cap room opened up space to sign Brett Favre to a $12 million contract. Similarly, in Philadelphia, a $148 million cap number gave the team the opportunity to add Michael Vick to their collection of offensive weapons. Even in Tampa, after Allen's departure, the Bucs were able to sign Kellen Winslow to a lucrative extension.

Washington cap guru Eric Schaffer is recognized in league circles for his ability to keep the Redskins under the cap, despite a player-acquisition strategy that has long valued the signing of expensive veteran players. (In the interest of disclosure, I should mention I worked with Schaffer in the Redskins' front office for two years.) It remains to be seen how Allen and Schaffer will work together going forward, but from a cap management perspective, as the league enters the uncertainties of an uncapped year, Snyder's Redskins are in great hands. The challenge for Allen as he leads this front office is not the club's salary-cap management as much as it is the front office's ability to evaluate talent, particularly in the draft. The key to any roster-building philosophy that depends on young players is that your inexpensive young players have to become significant contributors on the field; that only occurs through outstanding scouting.

Will Allen and a possible new head coach (if a coaching change occurs) use the opportunity of an uncapped year to turn over the roster and fill it with players who match their philosophy both on the field and from a roster-building standpoint? For example, there is a decision to be made on running back Clinton Portis. If Portis is on the team in 2010, per league sources, his cap number is $10 million; if Portis is released, his cap number increases to $14 million. If there is no cap, then these figures are moot, and it is easier to make a decision to get younger at running back and part ways with Portis.

Another player whose future is uncertain is quarterback Jason Campbell. Campbell's road to unrestricted free agency is directly impacted by whether or not there is a salary cap in 2010. If there is a new collective bargaining agreement, and thus a salary cap, Campbell becomes an unrestricted free agent. If things continue as they are now, with an uncapped year, Campbell instead becomes a restricted free agent and the Redskins' front office can retain Campbell for a one-year contract of a little more than $3 million. That's a bargain for a starting-caliber NFL quarterback, and a reasonable price for a backup if a new administration decides to bring in another veteran quarterback and that player beats out Campbell for the starting job.

There's never a dull moment in Washington, from the in-season change to Sherman Lewis as playcaller to Cerrato's unexpected resignation to the hiring of Allen hours later. Now fans get to debate the future of the coaching staff and some of the club's marquee players. The Redskins may have a losing record, but they're never boring, and they're never forgotten in the NFL discussion. That's how Snyder likes it.

That is entirely untrue - the author needs to take a remedial math course.

There is apparently some loophole in the CBA that allows your "Adjusted cap" to rise or fall, depending on moves you made before.

I think its based on "likely to earn bonuses" and "unlikely to earn bonuses"

The difference in those amounts can raise a team's actual salary cap, which is why Tampa's cap is at 154 million, giving them lots of room to make a key signing (if they chose to)

how long til we know if 2010 is uncapped?what does everyone think will happen?i figure alot of big contracts will be terminated and and players traded.Randle El will be gone and portis also and old bloated contracts will be redone to fit under any new cap.i have a feeling there will be a cap but i hope not simply because the skins need it to fix the books.it will also make the blowing up and rebuilding of this team and faster thing to do.

how long til we know if 2010 is uncapped?what does everyone think will happen?i figure alot of big contracts will be terminated and and players traded.Randle El will be gone and portis also and old bloated contracts will be redone to fit under any new cap.i have a feeling there will be a cap but i hope not simply because the skins need it to fix the books.it will also make the blowing up and rebuilding of this team and faster thing to do.

Not till March, just like back in 2006.

I think at this point the chances of a new CBO being in place are very slim. Many owners are simply unhappy with the deal and willing to take the jump into an uncapped era

There has to be a set date for this sometime between the end of the 2009 season and the start of the 2010 season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80868b78&template=without-video&confirm=true

What does this mean to fans and games on the field?

Even without another agreement, NFL football will be played without threat of interruption for at least the next three seasons. The 2008 and 2009 seasons will be played with a salary cap. If there is no new agreement before the 2010 season, that season will be played without a salary cap under rules that also limit the free agency rights of the players. If not extended, the agreement would expire at the end of the 2010 league year.

There is apparently some loophole in the CBA that allows your "Adjusted cap" to rise or fall, depending on moves you made before.

I think its based on "likely to earn bonuses" and "unlikely to earn bonuses"

The difference in those amounts can raise a team's actual salary cap, which is why Tampa's cap is at 154 million, giving them lots of room to make a key signing (if they chose to)

Yes, you are able to defer some of your cap to future years. But it's a zero sum game, you have to give up cap space this year to gain it next year. What the Redskins do is much better - essentially they borrow future cap space from later years to use this year. Assuming the cap always goes up (not as safe an assumption as it once was), the Redskins have a larger cap to work with than other teams every year.

Yes, you are able to defer some of your cap to future years. But it's a zero sum game, you have to give up cap space this year to gain it next year. What the Redskins do is much better - essentially they borrow future cap space from later years to use this year. Assuming the cap always goes up (not as safe an assumption as it once was), the Redskins have a larger cap to work with than other teams every year.

Actually, I don't think its a zero sum game

Philly and Minny have consistantly this decade had "more cap" space then the actual cap number itself

Actually, I don't think its a zero sum game

Philly and Minny have consistantly this decade had "more cap" space then the actual cap number itself

That's because they never actually use the cap space they accumulate.

Edit: Imagine the cap is 100 million for three straight years. Minnesota only spends 80 million the first year, the second year, their cap is 120, but they only spend 100, so the third year they again have 120 million. The total they are able to spend is 300 million just like any other team, so even though their cap is 120 million the second and third year, they actually haven't been able to spend more money than other teams.

There not given up cap space it is a likely to earn bonus i think every owner does them some set them low we use unlikely to eaqrnbonuses wich count on the next season caps

The stupid thing is that if you were conservative enough in your spending to be able to roll over cap room, then you'll probably never need the extra space because you're ****ING CONSERVATIVE and it's not in your nature to splurge.

But glad we got this guy. His cap management ability will come in handy during the uncap -- oh, nevermind.

I completely agree on the uniforms. My favorite, yellow pants, burgandy jersey and some either the spear helmet, the current helmet or some combination of yellow with spear or current logo.

As for the topic, I can't wait to see how the Skins deal with an uncapped year. This team could look completely different and I'm excited to see the younger players step up. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marko and Kelly get playing time.

I'm excited about the possibility of keeping Jason Campbell - I can't believe I said that but also excited to see who the skins draft and if Colt still factors in things.

I think its time for new uniforms. The Gibbs era is long over.

That's crazy talk. We have the best uniforms in the NFL. Notice how we don't need those ridiculous arm pit stripes like Atlanta and Minnesota? Lame. Most of the new uniforms are really lame.

Ours is down right gorgeous.

That's crazy talk. We have the best uniforms in the NFL. Notice how we don't need those ridiculous arm pit stripes like Atlanta and Minnesota? Lame. Most of the new uniforms are really lame.

Ours is down right gorgeous.

One thing I definitely wouldn't mind seeing (maybe just one time) is the inverted uniform colors like some other teams (e.g., Miami, Denver). Reverse the burgundy and gold on the solid colored uniforms, so the primary color on the jersey is gold instead of burgundy.

Or...keep the uniforms the same, but replace the Redskins Gold with Metallic Gold (like the Gold color the Saints use).

Maybe try these just once, to see how they look. Danny could also sell a few more jerseys doing this.

I thought the reason Allen sucked in Tampa Bay was because they didn't want to spend any money?

Ugh.

Money hasn't bought us continuity or Super Bowl trophies. It has bought us "name players" who are overpaid to under-perform. Sometimes the unproven guys with the most to prove give you the best bang for your buck. Just take a look at Ganther.

There not given up cap space it is a likely to earn bonus i think every owner does them some set them low we use unlikely to eaqrnbonuses wich count on the next season caps

Yes, a LTBE (likely to be earned) incentive which doesn't get paid. So, you "spend" x mil on contracts one year, but it turns out that 5 mil in LTBE wasn't earned, so you get a credit for that 5 mil the next year.

He's right. It's a zero sum game. The only way these teams are "earning extra cap space" is by not actually spending it in the previous season.

Archived