Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blizzard of 2009: accumulation map up; schools/fed gov't closed Monday

Sticksboi05

So just like last year, we made a separate thread for the March 1, 2009 storm for better organization so now that we have the first official Winter Storm Warnings up, here we go again. Heck of a way to start the winter.

STORM FORECAST:

Roanoke and southwestern VA: 12-18 inches

Washington DC/Baltimore: 12-24 inches

There will be times tomorrow where you won't be able to see out of your house more than a couple feet. High winds and it's gonna be cooold. This is the real deal folks. This thing is producing flooding rains in Florida.

If you are in the mid atlantic and not near VA beach, over a foot is likely.

Also, expect thundersnow!!! Ain't seen that since '03.

--------------------

So like last year, we'll keep you updated and once the white stuff starts falling, we'll take observations and pictures to look back on. As of now, this looks like a SECS to MECS and it's not even actually winter yet! Excited?!

If you can travel in snow coming down over an inch per hour, good luck.

Nah, I'm pretty much screwed. I have my last exam at Mason on Saturday morning, so I was hoping to leave right after that. There's a pretty good chance the exam will be postponed until Monday, so I'm gonna be stuck here regardless.

so southern MD can get anywhere between 8-18 inches? I can't read these things, ugggh this is soo frustrating, the one time I DON'T want it to snow and it seems like it's gonna dump on us.

My prediction for Southern MD: Freezing rain then 2 inches

so southern MD can get anywhere between 8-18 inches? I can't read these things, ugggh this is soo frustrating, the one time I DON'T want it to snow and it seems like it's gonna dump on us.

My prediction for Southern MD: Freezing rain then 2 inches

Freezing rain out of the question because that implies that the warm air would penetrate the upper atmosphere. If it isn't snow, it'll be plain rain but that's only an issue at this point for very eastern areas near the coast.

After tonight's 0Z runs, we should have the storm pretty figured out. The 0Z runs begin at 8:30, then 10:30 then 1 AM.

Freezing rain out of the question because that implies that the warm air would penetrate the upper atmosphere. If it isn't snow, it'll be plain rain but that's only an issue at this point for very eastern areas near the coast.

After tonight's 0Z runs, we should have the storm pretty figured out. The 0Z runs begin at 8:30, then 10:30 then 1 AM.

SO what did the 830 OZ run say?

Archived