Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blizzard of 2009: accumulation map up; schools/fed gov't closed Monday

Sticksboi05

Love the NAM

:)

That looks a little more promising for Long Island on the northern fringes of some heavier snow than they are saying right now.

But it is going to be a mess around the nation's capital. It is a good thing this is happening on the weekend. Wait, it is happening on the weekend for you guys in the heavy target zone right? Or is it starting during the day on Friday?

As of right now you would be getting 10-16 inches BUT since the NAM is trending east slightly that could put you in the 12-18" range.

The weird thing is, there is no talk of anything right now. They are saying maybe an inch or two. Long Island may wake up tomorrow morning to a winter storm watch and talk of a foot of snow. There will be major panic with only a days notice of this.

;7124531']The weird thing is' date=' there is no talk of anything right now. They are saying maybe an inch or two. Long Island may wake up tomorrow morning to a winter storm watch and talk of a foot of snow. There will be major panic with only a days notice of this.[/quote']

Not weird. They want to be sure of it. If the 0Z EURO tonight backs up the NAM, you will be put under a watch. NWS Upton is very conservative.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42629&stc=1&d=1261105528

I still think it is over doing the QPF amounts. If the low is pulling in that much moisture to produce those vaules you are going to have mixing issues.

That is why these early storms suck sometimes. Still a warm ocean out there which could change precip from snow to other.

Although, I would think that would add fuel to the fire as well.

;7124542']That is why these early storms suck sometimes. Still a warm ocean out there which could change precip from snow to other.

Although' date=' I would think that would add fuel to the fire as well.[/quote']

The mixing would still mainly be along the coast, which I guess is bad for you but for us here in DC would be a south and east of I-95 issue. As this thing bombs, it'll pull cold air into it and any mix will eventually return to all snow.

I saw a weather.com map that showed the bullseye of this storm as west of Richmond, into southwest Virginia/Roanoke area, and into the mountains of North Carolina. That area showed getting 12+", with 6-12" closer to DC.

Is that what you guys are seeing?

I saw a weather.com map that showed the bullseye of this storm as west of Richmond, into southwest Virginia/Roanoke area, and into the mountains of North Carolina. That area showed getting 12+", with 6-12" closer to DC.

Is that what you guys are seeing?

They would be wrong. Looks like they are working off of models from this morning.

Archived