Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best of the 00's Thread

SIXX99

:shot:

No kidding. If Coldplay is the defining group, then Brokeback Mountain is the defining movie, Will and Grace the defining show, His and His bath towels the defining product, and legalizing same sex marriages is the defining moment.

What I'm saying is, the 00's were not ghey. Ghey moments maybe, but not a ghey decade.

Movie: The Departed

Music Group/Solo artist: Coldplay

T.V. Show: 24

Invention: WiFi

Product: iPhone

Song: Coldplay - Clocks

Defining moment of the decade: You could make a good argument for other things, but the most defining moment has to be 9/11.

Other memories, fond and not so fond of the 00's...

Beltway sniper. Blizzard of 2002. Death of Sean Taylor. Invasion of Iraq and the TV coverage that ensued. Big O and Dukes on the radio. Hurricane Katrina. Hurricane Isabel (which effected the NoVA area more).

No kidding. If Coldplay is the defining group, then Brokeback Mountain is the defining movie, Will and Grace the defining show, His and His bath towels the defining product, and legalizing same sex marriages is the defining moment.

What I'm saying is, the 00's were not ghey. Ghey moments maybe, but not a ghey decade.

So what exactly makes Coldplay gay? Just wondering.

Seems that the other examples that you cited were subjects that had everything to do with the homosexual community. Coldplay hasn't ever made a song that comes close to approaching the subject.

It's OK to hate, but there is nothing gay about their music. To say so is to rip off an overused comment made in a movie (that was very funny at the time)

Seems that the other examples that you cited were subjects that had everything to do with the homosexual community. Coldplay hasn't ever made a song that comes close to approaching the subject.

It's OK to hate, but there is nothing gay about their music. To say so is to rip off an overused comment made in a movie (that was very funny at the time)

He's a Earnhardt Jr. fan. He doesn't know much about talent.:evilg:

I'll take a whack at this. "Best" is pretty hard to define, but I'll try to combine critical reception/influence/mainstream success.

Movie

1. The Dark Knight (representative of many great Super Hero movies this decade: Spiderman, X-Men, Ironman, etc.)

2. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

3. Finding Nemo (representative of Pixar's dominance this decade: Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up!)

T.V. Show (It's been a GREAT decade for TV)

1. The Wire

2. Arrested Development

3. LOST

The music category is what really interests be in respect to this decade...

Music Group/Solo artist

1. Radiohead (The Bends and OK Computer were the 90s, but they've also come out with four really strong albums in the 00s)

2. Eminem (Slim Shady LP was 1999, but Eminem dominated the rap scene in the early 00s... and his influence has definitely been felt throughout the decade)

3. Animal Collective - (The underground/critical darling of the decade)

Song (3 songs from respected artists that had some mainstream success/influence)

1. "Hey Ya!" - Outkast

2. "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes

3. "Float On" - Modest Mouse

But in all honesty this decade of music was characterized by the dominance of pop music and American Idol, and the death of mainstream rock music. Then again, I think indie/underground music is rising faster than ever thanks to the internet (even though some blame the internet for the so-called "death" of modern music in the first place)... I'll be curious to see where the music industry goes from here.

Invention/Product (technology may be the real defining area for this decade)

1. iPod/iTunes/online file sharing

2. Smartphones

3. Tivo/DVR

4. HDTV

5. Popularization of laptops/wi-fi

Defining moment of the decade

1. September 11th (obviously)

2. Hurricane Katrina

3. First Black President elected

Well, everytime I hear the start of one of their crappy songs, I feal like I should be marching in a parade waving a rainbow flag. Seriously, everytime I hear the first few notes, I change the station, but it's too late. I want to shove an icepick in my ears to unhear the garbage I just heard.

It may be a line from a movie, but it described exactly how I already felt before I even saw the movie. Their lyrics may not be homosexually suggestive, but the la-de-dah tones of their songs are nothing but pure **** to me.

I'll take a whack at this. "Best" is pretty hard to define, but I'll try to combine critical reception/influence/mainstream success.

Movie

1. The Dark Knight (representative of many great Super Hero movies this decade: Spiderman, X-Men, Ironman, etc.)

2. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

3. Finding Nemo (representative of Pixar's dominance this decade: Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up!)

T.V. Show (It's been a GREAT decade for TV)

1. The Wire

2. Arrested Development

3. LOST

The music category is what really interests be in respect to this decade...

Music Group/Solo artist

1. Radiohead (The Bends and OK Computer were the 90s, but they've also come out with four really strong albums in the 00s)

2. Eminem (Slim Shady LP was 1999, but Eminem dominated the rap scene in the early 00s... and his influence has definitely been felt throughout the decade)

3. Animal Collective - (The underground/critical darling of the decade)

Song (3 songs from respected artists that had some mainstream success/influence)

1. "Hey Ya!" - Outkast

2. "Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes

3. "Float On" - Modest Mouse

But in all honesty this decade of music was characterized by the dominance of pop music and American Idol, and the death of mainstream rock music. Then again, I think indie/underground music is rising faster than ever thanks to the internet (even though some blame the internet for the so-called "death" of modern music in the first place)... I'll be curious to see where the music industry goes from here.

Invention/Product (technology may be the real defining area for this decade)

1. iPod/iTunes/online file sharing

2. Smartphones

3. Tivo/DVR

4. HDTV

5. Popularization of laptops/wi-fi

Defining moment of the decade

1. September 11th (obviously)

2. Hurricane Katrina

3. First Black President elected

It has been a great decade for TV except sitcoms. Awful awful awful.

Defining moments, I'd argue the 2004 Tsunami over Katrina. And can't forget Michael Jackson's death. I cannot think of the death of one person that created such a worldwide shock in my lifetime other than Princess Diana.

Also, it's weird to think how big Britney Spears, NSYNC and Backstreet Boys were at the absolute beginning of the decade.

And for product, how can one go against the iPod.

It has been a great decade for TV except sitcoms. Awful awful awful.

I would disagree strongly with this unless you have a different definition of "sit-com" than I do.

Arrested Development

The Office

30 Rock

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

How I Met Your Mother

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Scrubs

Weeds

Plus I think Modern Family and Community are two very strong additions for this season.

Movie - I'd have to go with either LOTR trilogy or maybe Dark Knight.

Music - I really have no idea who or what to put here. There just hasn't been any amazing songs or artists in the 00s IMO. If I h

TV Show - I know it started in the late 90s but South Park is still my favorite.

Invention - Social networking sites (Myspace, FB, etc.)

Product - I asked my friend this question, and to my bewilderment he said "Tiger ****ing 100 girls" so in lieu of my own answer, I'll go with this.

Song - N/A

Moment - 9/11

Sports Moment - I'd have to go with the Red Sox coming back from 3-0.

Video Game - Halo series or WoW

But I think The Real Slim Shady was the song that people remember most because, for a lot of them, it was the first time they heard of Emimem.

Agreed, though I'm not a fan anymore, this song got me into rap.

I would disagree strongly with this unless you have a different definition of "sit-com" than I do.

Arrested Development

The Office

30 Rock

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

How I Met Your Mother

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Scrubs

Weeds

Plus I think Modern Family and Community are two very strong additions for this season.

I guess what I mean is traditional sitcoms. But come on How I Met Your Mother is not funny.

I guess what I mean is traditional sitcoms. But come on How I Met Your Mother is not funny.
I'm not so big on How I Met Your Mother myself, but it's a decent show.

His point still stands though. It's been a great decade for sitcoms, the difference you're seeing though is that most sitcoms today involve characters more self absorbed and cynical, compared to the cheery family dynamic sitcoms of the 90s. Different formula compared to the past, but it's produced some hilarious and already classic shows.

Can't believe it took til the 3rd page of the thread to get to this.

Pixar's been one of the biggest stories of this decade in terms of film making. They've made about 5.5 billion dollars worldwide, with their lowest grossing film ever being Toy Story, which is in itself a modern Disney classic and made 360 million worldwide. Disney had to fork over 7.5 billion just to keep them under the Disney brand. They've revolutionized animated films and make ridiculously good films in the process.

Archived