Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Williams returning to Washington.

x96bryan10

Seeing as this is the first time he wil be returning to washington since his dismissal i was really hoping some sort of news-outlet (or blog whoever is doing the interviewing these days) would do a piece on his return to Washington. I know how close he was to some of the players here S. Taylor included.

I really miss G. Williams and his style of defense. I believe not retaining him a d.c. at least was a huge mistake.

Any thoughts?

JimmiJo and Murf.....please pick up the white courtesy phone. You have a call waiting.

In all honesty, he would probably just say the pc things you would expect, and that nobody wants to read.

"I loved my time in Washington. I have great respect for them. I appreciate the opportunity they gave me." blah blah blah

I am not sure what you think he would say besides the above.

JimmiJo and Murf.....please pick up the white courtesy phone. You have a call waiting.

In all honesty, he would probably just say the pc things you would expect, and that nobody wants to read.

"I loved my time in Washington. I have great respect for them. I appreciate the opportunity they gave me." blah blah blah

I am not sure what you think he would say besides the above.

yeah your probably right maybe in the off-season someone could try to get back to it....when he may be more inclined to speak about past matters.

yeah your probably right maybe in the off-season someone could try to get back to it....when he may be more inclined to speak about past matters.

It was all about Dan going with Vinny instead of Gregg.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/25/AR2008082502867_2.html?sid=ST2008082503355

Snyder's choice to promote Cerrato to the top football position a few weeks after Gibbs's retirement signaled to many within Redskins Park the end of Williams's candidacy to become head coach. Several team sources said there was friction between the men. Williams, however, thanked Cerrato for taking an interest in his family, attending some of his son's high school football games, and wished him well in his new position.

"Every year that Vinny has been there Dan Snyder has given him more and more to do," Williams said, "and now it's his time to step up there and take the reigns and show the Redskins fans that he's able to handle every aspect of the organization. That's what his title says he's able to do there, and I appreciate the relationship I had with Vinny when I was there."

Seems there isn't much issue with Dan:

Should the right opportunity emerge, Williams would consider being a head coach again (he coached Buffalo from 2001 to 2003). And Williams said he would not hesitate to answer the phone should Snyder reach out to him.

"I'll always remember the time I had there, and who knows, maybe I'll be back there again one of these days to coach again," Williams said. "I have a very good relationship with Dan Snyder, and I really enjoyed my time there, and I wouldn't discount saying I could come back through there again. I've got a lot of good years left in the NFL, and I loved my experience there and loved the Redskins and loved the Redskins' fans. It was a great experience, and to see it unfold again, well, you never know what can happen in this league."

He will never publicly say anything regardless. Despite being upset with Blache this is what he said:

"It couldn't have gone to a better person," Williams said of Blache. "He's been very successful in that position before, and was a top person I identified when I came to Washington of wanting to have. I think the Redskins did a tremendous job of promoting continuity there. And I do take great pride in the fact my staff is still there, and they will do an outstanding job in all the things they are responsible for. That's something [Redskins Coach] Jim Zorn does not have to worry about."

Gregg Williams would by far be the best candidate to coach this team. More than Shanahan or anyone else. The guy has loyalty and gets production, even from guys signed off the street.

Not everyone agrees with the doghouse he keeps, but he produces.

why would williams even think of coming back to this abysmal franchise when hes sitting atop a super bowl caliber defense/team...?

wudnt mind having him back tho...

His family lives in the DC area. The fans love him. His defense would be in place.

GW should have been HC and Zorn should have been the OC PERIOD!!!! It was a shame when we let him go. I would not be surprised if he told the Redskins to kick rocks, but if he does come back I would be the first one smiling.

He wanted Saunders and Collins.

Vinny wanted to bet on Campbell and the WCO.

why would williams even think of coming back to this abysmal franchise when hes sitting atop a super bowl caliber defense/team...?

wudnt mind having him back tho...

The above post is what happens when members don't bother to read the OP. :doh:
Seeing as this is the first time he wil be returning to washington since his dismissal i was really hoping some sort of news-outlet (or blog whoever is doing the interviewing these days) would do a piece on his return to Washington. ...

Any thoughts?

I think the last thing GW wants right now is to talk to a media blogger. He's got a short work week and a road game.

Maybe i willl try and count the times the D's blitz. Bring 1, Bring 2, Bring 3, Etc.

I dont know why blitz stats are not tracked. All we get are QB "Under Pressure" stats.

I hope Blache learns a few more things from GW if we think we want his top ranked defense back here next year. Having the top ranked pass D yet being last in turnovers spell failure.

Its a shame Danny chose to promote Vinny over Williams. We will pay for that stunt a few more years.

Don't know if either report is actually accurate but two things I recall from the media about the Gregg situation always stuck in my head.

1. Someone posted an article about Zorn getting the job and Vinny was really pushing him in part because Vinny didn't feel as threatened by him. Gregg on the other hand is outspoken and already had clout within the clubhouse. On that one, pure speculation, we will never know.

2. I recall Vinny saying on the radio that they tried to gauge the chemistry between he, Gregg and Snyder by watching playoff football games together at the time, and he just didn't think they clicked.

Gregg Williams would by far be the best candidate to coach this team. More than Shanahan or anyone else. The guy has loyalty and gets production, even from guys signed off the street.

Not everyone agrees with the doghouse he keeps, but he produces.

that would be fantastic, but I was under the impression that they did not consider Williams b/c they knew he would not tolerate their bull**** style of running the team, and that was why they brought in Zorn, who was just happy to have the opportunity. Do you see that changing?

I think the best case scenario for the Skins long term health is if the Saints come in here, and Williams' D just crushes. I mean they score TDs on their own.

I think the truth of the matter is that like Zorn and Blatche....they can only work with the players they've got. The Saints D is better because they are better with their roster.

that would be fantastic, but I was under the impression that they did not consider Williams b/c they knew he would not tolerate their bull**** style of running the team, and that was why they brought in Zorn, who was just happy to have the opportunity. Do you see that changing?

That's the impression I have. If they insist on doing things their way, they need a coach that IMO is docile and goes with their program. Gregg seems like a guy with a very definite point of view.

To those who say we should hire Gregg as HC. I would love to have him back here, but I'm all for getting a REAL GM in here, and letting them hire whoever they feel is the best fit as HC. If that's GW, then great, but if not, I want this team to go back to being run like a real football operation, not some science experiment gone awry every year.

Don't know if either report is actually accurate but two things I recall from the media about the Gregg situation always stuck in my head.

1. Someone posted an article about Zorn getting the job and Vinny was really pushing him in part because Vinny didn't feel as threatened by him. Gregg on the other hand is outspoken and already had clout within the clubhouse. On that one, pure speculation, we will never know.

2. I recall Vinny saying on the radio that they tried to gauge the chemistry between he, Gregg and Snyder by watching playoff football games together at the time, and he just didn't think they clicked.

Yea that says it all....watching playoff games together I'm sure Greg scorched there knowledge of football and they could not take it!!!

Please get dumb and dumber out of the way!!!

Archived