Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Greg Blache Doing His Job Properly? (MET)

G1

You can't expect to use one play to erase all the ineptitude we see, and you also cannot use an overrated statistic to hang your hat on.

Bottom line, when the other team needs a score to win, they get it.

Period.

Yay, we're the top ranked pass D that can't stop the Jason Avants and Patrick Craytons of the world when we absolutely have to, nevermind that fact that the DeSean Jacksons and Brandon Marshalls always seem to find themselves completely alone behind the defense..

Yippee, we're a top five defense that gives up 6 yards a carry to rookies.

We can wrap ourselves in the statistics and ignore the reality.

~Bang

So why doesn't this thread say is Sherman Smith or Sherm Lewis Doing their job properly how many points did our offense score in the 4th.

So why doesn't this thread say is Sherman Smith or Sherm Lewis Doing their job properly how many points did our offense score in the 4th.

Because this thread is about the defense, Greg Blache specifically.

This isn't hard to follow.

If you'd like to discuss the offense's shortcomings,l there's plenty of threads already out there on them

frankly, I think everyone from Snyder's chin on down needs to get fired. i can't think of a single reason to retain a single coach.

~Bang

Instead of his cover 1/2 where Landry/Reed has to cover the opposition stud WR's deep, Blache should swap his corners and safeties. Leave Landry to press and cover the short zone, and then have the corners take the stud WR's that we keep passing off and getting burned for huge TD's.

I think Blache is conservative refusing to blitz even though teams are driving down the field about to win on us. Then I see him leaving Landry on an island having to choose which of the 2 stud WR's running down field he should cover. i was glad to hear the announcers busting on such a stupid scheme yesterday.

We can wrap ourselves in the statistics and ignore the reality.

Some seem to ignore the reality that the Eagles offense stepped up and made plays to win that game. Unfortunately, there isn't much a defense can do if the QB makes a perfect pass, which McNabb did a couple of times.

Let's give credit where credit is due: We didn't lose the game, the Eagles won the game. They might not have deserved it for most of the game, but they did at the end when it counted. Unfortunately, we aren't good enough to do the same right now, which is mainly because of all the injuries we have. Personally, I think it is a credit to the coaching staff that we are even able to keep pace with these teams.

As for the "too many men on the field", I wouldn't be shocked if it was because a young player didn't know his assignment but needed to be out there because of all the injuries. I know the first one was on Tryon because he was rushing to get off the field. (In that case, we might have been better off with the penalty rather than what they got on the play because he was rushing off.)

no, he's not a good D coordinator, he was given an amazing defense from the start, and all he is gonna do is mess it up, greg williams built that defense that was in the top 10 rank 4 out of the past 5 years, not including the current year...anybody could coach that defense and look like they are doing a decent job, but itz the little things like 12 men on the field penalty, and giving elite receivers so much cushion, and not utilizing certain players that is gonna kill our amazing defense...bring back greg williams!!!!!!!!

-Chief

Is he doing his job properly?

Penalised for 12 men on the field twice in one game. Unforgivable.

The blown coverage for the Jackson TD is the same blown coverage on the same part of the field that we have seen now for Jackson (twice) and Marshall.

No! I have not been impressed with DC Gregg Blache. Wish we were running a more agressive defense. We have the talent to put pressure on the QB and we don't. I also am not a big fan of the 15 yard cushion our DBs give. We don't blitz as often as I see other teams do.

Blache is a competent coordinator, nothing more, nothing less. He gets the team ready to win, and has his leaders coached well. At the same time he doesn't do anything that is very groundbreaking in terms of his schemes. He isn't good at bringing pressure, we should honestly be doing better than we have been this season. Lately the deep ball has been wide open against us and I think thats Gray's fault and the players fault.

I don't like Blache's defense. We have every piece in place right now and we are good, but not dominant. When that happens you have to look at the person in charge. Gregg Williams' defenses didn't wow me either. He wasn't much different from Blache, but at least he understood getting pressure and forcing turnovers by disguising coverages more. I think he had a more natural feel for the game and play calling on defense. Thats the problem with Blache. I don't think he has a feel for the game and an ability to play games with the offensive coordinator.

He seems to just look at what has been coming at him and making the necessary adjustments to make it so those things don't beat us for a touchdown. Other coordinators would be looking for a way to poke a major hole in what the other team is doing.

I think a change in coordinators to someone who is very aggressive in the 4-3 would really help this team out. Also, practice for the defense in training camp should pretty much consist only of tackling drills next season. I don't care if we're unprepared and uncoordinated. I want players who actually TACKLE.

Archived