Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do commentators do their homework before a game?

kiingspadee

As we know as Redskins fans they have been slaughtering some of our players names...but last night Gruden might have just made me question how much of "experts" they are.

Texans RB Brown the crew was talking bout and Gruden went to say "yeah I was talking to Jeff Fisher over the weekend about Brown and he was saying how they have liked what he has been doing in practice and wanted to let him have more reps!"

Excuse me? Jeff Fisher has the scoop on a Texans player!

Yeah, I heard Gruden screw up a handful of times last night. I was pretty surprised, because I think he has done a great job this year. But I guess everyone has an off night.

But to answer your question, I don't think there is one distinct answer. I have worked with a lot of sports announcers in the past, and some do an amazing amount of research and preparation. But then there are others on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I notice that Tirico rarely ever tells you who makes the tackle. Like it is too much work to remember who wears what number or to identify the number and look at his sheet. You probably won't notice if you are watching, but I was only listening for much of the game. All he announced was who had the ball on the majority of the plays.

And the chuckling in that booth is unbearable. They should call that crew "Chuckles and Chucky."

He flat out gets it done. He has great mouth discipline.

(I knew in a girl back in '99 with great mout discipline come to think of it).

Don't hate. The guy is the best addition to MNF in a decade. And if you hate people that talk in predictable sequences then Joe Gibbs must of driven you nuts.

Don't hate. The guy is the best addition to MNF in a decade. And if you hate people that talk in predictable sequences then Joe Gibbs must of driven you nuts.

Yes. Yes he did.

What does Gruden add to MNF? Yes, he's firey, but all really adds is the same "This guy is a tough guy" stuff that hacks like Bill Mass bring to the table. Occasionally, he makes a decent point about a route or a defensive coverage but it is married in a lot of noise.

Pay attention next game.

Count the number of times Gruden says something that essentially means, "This professional football player is good at football."

Archived