Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A review of the TD's we have given up this season (Plus a focus on our DB's)

Est.1974

I don't get why people seem so down on our D, particulary the secondary, which has given up 12 TDs in the season ... that is 1.5 TDs per game ... I think thats pretty good personally but naah your probably right we should trash the entire lot ... I wonder what Ronald is doing this sunday ...

I'm not down on our D - I'm down on specific players making errors on a regular basis without any apparent action being taken to do anything about it.

In game 1 against the Giants, we stuffed them on a 4-1 inside our 5. Not long after that, Manningham is dancing past half the team on his way for 6 & everything that had gone before was undone in an instant.

In the last game, we fight back to 24-17 then wave Turner into the endzone from 60 yards. Same again.

I would have thought that every team in the NFL would be exstatic if the defence only allowed an average of 2 tds per game, and unless you have played this game as a DB at any level "Dont go there" it is one of the hardest positions to play your often 1 on 1 and the offense has all the advantages, our D is very good, leave the D alone.

GO REDSKINS VOTE 1 JON GRUDEN FOR HEAD COACH

Poor coaching and a blase' attitude of the players usually results in unfocused play.

Look this season has to open snyder's eyes to the truth about the team and the direction it is going. The offseason will answer a lot of questions about the direction of this franchise but these last 8 games are probably going to be the hardest to stomach for all the fans. We stink and that's about it

Our D is not "great." It's not "pretty good."

It's middle-of-the-road.

You want to know one big reason we're not winning games? Very few big, game-changing plays. That includes all 3 phases of the game. There are 8 defenses in the league right now that have forced 20+ turnovers. That's 1/4 of the league. There are 20 teams that have forced 16+ turnovers. Meaning, the vast majority of the league has caused at least twice as many turnovers as this defense that many on here are saying is "pretty good." Most teams have at least 2 defensive TDs. One team even has 7. We barely have forced 7 turnovers...forget about 7 TDs.

Mediocre is pretty much the best compliment I can give this D right now.

We could and should be a great defense, though. I have high expectations for the talent we have on that side of the ball. They aren't playing close to their potential right now.

It's a unit in transition and there are going to be hiccups and a drop-off no matter what. The Gibbs/Williams core from the middle of the decade is moving on. Fletcher/Griffin/Daniels/Washington/Taylor/Springs were the heart of those great defenses and they are all either gone or leaving soon. Carter probably only has a few years left too and I think Carlos won't be around past 2010. That's a lot of change to undergo. We've got some great younger pieces but this defense isn't built for the long haul as it is and still needs some work.

I think we'd actually be pretty bad right now if we hadn't added Haynesworth, Hall, Orakpo, and Jarmon.

when you're relying on CB's to make openfield tackles on RB's you instantly have a problem with your front 7.

Agreed. I understand the criticisms of the secondary in getting flagged at inopportune times and giving up big passing plays. But it's silly faulting them for the long runs, especially where the runner hits the secondary untouched like Turner and Jackson did. That means someone got destroyed in their gap assignment.

The thing that's odd about the defense is that last year the D was pretty dominant, and in the offseason Haynesworth & Orakpo were added and yet the defense has somewhat regressed although it's still good. The only two differences from last year I can think of is that Blache isn't being as aggressive (why that is we don't know) and Shawn Springs isn't here. I know the guy was getting older, but when he was healthy last year he was a shutdown corner, and more importantly a great character guy in the lockeroom.

I'm not down on our D - I'm down on specific players making errors on a regular basis without any apparent action being taken to do anything about it.

In game 1 against the Giants' date=' we stuffed them on a 4-1 inside our 5. Not long after that, Manningham is dancing past half the team on his way for 6 & everything that had gone before was undone in an instant.

In the last game, we fight back to 24-17 then wave Turner into the endzone from 60 yards. Same again.[/quote']

Unfortunately the other teams pay their offensive players to make plays . i.e. they try all the time as well .

The Manningham TD drove me mad but it is the kind of play that happens . We had 4 guys who had an opportunity to stop him him yet he made a great play ...

....You know our security services probably uncover and stop plots to destroy us every day, and yet it is the one time they dont that everyone gets hot up about ...

In game 1 against the Giants' date=' we stuffed them on a 4-1 inside our 5. Not long after that, Manningham is dancing past half the team on his way for 6 & everything that had gone before was undone in an instant.

In the last game, we fight back to 24-17 then wave Turner into the endzone from 60 yards. Same again.[/quote']

Unfortunately the other teams pay their offensive players to make plays . i.e. they try all the time as well .

The Manningham TD drove me mad but it is the kind of play that happens . We had 4 guys who had an opportunity to stop him him yet he made a great play ...

....You know our security services probably uncover and stop plots to destroy us every day, and yet it is the one time they dont that everyone gets hot up about ...

It looks like alot of missed tackles around the first down marker and then they take it to the house. My next question is, whe the HELL is everyone else!? We used to have 4 and 5 people on the ball all the time.

Multiple players getting to the ball requires hustle, attitude, and aggression. We lack those things. And it's up to the coaches to DEMAND those things from their players.

I really believe that this current team with a better coaching staff would be a lot better off. Next to the OL I think coaching has been our biggest weakness.

Multiple players getting to the ball requires hustle, attitude, and aggression. We lack those things. And it's up to the coaches to DEMAND those things from their players.

I really believe that this current team with a better coaching staff would be a lot better off. Next to the OL I think coaching has been our biggest weakness.

You won all those Charlie Hustle-type awards at the annual football banquet in high school, didn't you?

:applause: Demoralized!

That play happened because a bunch of players didn't know how to tackle, not because Manningham did anything special.

But it's silly faulting them for the long runs, especially where the runner hits the secondary untouched like Turner and Jackson did. That means someone got destroyed in their gap assignment.

The DB should still be in the position to tackle / block / somehow slow down the runner to some extent.

A DB of the Chiefs made a stop 78 yards downfield against Sellers & Portis. Whilst we have ben critical of our own players on that run, the fact the Chiefs DB actually did something constructive contributed to the stop. If he had rolled at Sellers' feet like a dog, we'd have scored. Now that would have been silly.

No one in our secondary at the moment is a great tackler. I don't know how you fix this.

The answer appears simple' date=' don't let the DB's have any time off 'work'....

Defensive assistant coach Jerry Gray suggested that the poor tackling by the defense last Sunday may have resulted from the Redskins’ time off during the bye week. Sometimes time away from football creates bad habits and gets a player out of rhythm as a tackler, Gray said.

That is taken from this article on the OS.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/News___Notes__Landry_Talks_Tackling_77345.jsp

In other breaking news...

Landry said tackling is mostly about playing with an aggressive attitude.

"It’s a personal attitude that you have about yourself,” Landry said. “You can be a hitter or a tackler. That’s what it’s about.”

Which is Landry?

“A little bit of both,” he said. “I’m a smart tackler, put it that way.”

Really.:doh:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived