Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A review of the TD's we have given up this season (Plus a focus on our DB's)

Est.1974

Edit : Since the OP, following the Falcons game, our DB's have given up further scoring pass plays of 40, 75, 35, 40 & 53 (yrds) through 4 more games. I also recall the Broncos missing a wide open ~80 yarder as well.

Is that not an incredible amout of big plays ?

All things considered, the play of our DB's as a collective group must rank as one of the, if not the biggest disappointment of the season given my pre-season expectations.

Original Post

Looking back over the 15 TD's our opponents have scored this season, it is staggering to see a common theme emerge when assessing the critical plays that I think contributed the most to each particular score ( whether it be the scoring play itself, or the 'key' play of the drive ).

5 scores have essentially resulted from turnovers. Of the other 10, at least 7 can be lay at the feet of our DB's. Maybe even 8 depending on you view on DeSean Jackson's reverse.

Add in the Haynesworth offside on Sunday on 4th-1 and we have handed almost every TD to the opposition on a plate.

Eight games in & the same things continue to happen week after week. Here we go - Be careful on the eyes :

E.Manning pass short right to 82-M.Manningham for 30 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Missed open field tackle by Smoot short of the first down marker

Umenyiora for 37 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Fumble Recovery

M.Bulger pass short left to 11-L.Robinson for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN Drive included a 62Yrd Jackson run broken open by Landry taking a terrible angle at the LOS

M.Stafford pass deep left to 80-B.Johnson for 21 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Missed open field tackle by Smoot short of the first down marker on 3-13 (previous play)

M.Morris left end for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Drive included a 47yd PI penalty on Horton in the endzone on a 3-9 play

J.Johnson pass short left to 89-A.Bryant for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Turnover gifts Tampa the ball at our 10

J.Delhomme pass deep left to 47-J.King for 17 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Big KO return sets the drive up at our 40

J.Stewart up the middle for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN.Turnover gifts Carolina the ball at our 12

D.Jackson left end for 67 yards, TOUCHDOWN. End around.Great Call - Potentially over-pursued by 2 DB's (Hall & Landry ?)

W.Witherspoon for 9 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Interception Return

D.McNabb pass deep left to 10-D.Jackson for 57 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Broken coverage by the DB's on 3rd-22

M.Ryan pass short left to 88-T.Gonzalez for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Offside penalty on 4-1 inside the 10 keeps the drive alive (Haynesworth)

T.Hill for 62 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Interception Return

M.Turner left end for 30 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Poor play by 3 DB's break the play open.(Smoot, Hall & Landry)

M.Turner left tackle for 58 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Missed open field tackles by Landry & Hall break the play open.

so our defense is responsible for allowing 12 TDs in 8 games.

not really that terrible when you think about it. the steelers defense have given up 11 TDs. not sure what the point of this thread is, most scores are the result of bad defensive plays. no defense is perfect, it just happens. as upset as i am with the team as a whole, the defense has played well (up until the atlanta game).

not really that terrible when you think about it. the steelers defense have given up 11 TDs. not sure what the point of this thread is, most scores are the result of bad defensive plays. no defense is perfect, it just happens. as upset as i am with the team as a whole, the defense has played well (up until the atlanta game).

I would even say that they did OK in this latest game. Granted some of the scoring plays were ugly, but 24 points against that offense isn't awful. Plenty of teams in the league beat Atlanta by 2 scores if their D gives up 24 points.

The manner in which we give up scores is terrible. Same people, Same mistakes. Week in, Week out. And is anybody really made accountable for this ?

24 points is the highest weve allowed all season on defense. thats about the league average for an NFL offense, and the falcons have a ton of weapons.

scoring 24 points is nothing to get excited about (unless youre a skins fan, and the thought of 20 is just earth shattering). our defense has issues that hopefully will be addressed next year, but theyre the single ONLY reason that we are not currently 0-8.

The manner in which we give up scores is terrible. Same people' date=' Same mistakes. Week in, Week out. And is anybody really made accountable for this ?[/quote']

but see this is so vague. "the manner in which we give up scores is terrible". anytime a team gives up a score, somebody has made a mistake. its not all one or two guys. you listed multiple players who missed assignments or tackles. for the 12 TDs weve allowed, a few have come on missed tackles, or because of PI calls, or bad angles, or blown coverage. these are things that just happen to a defense. its normal and will continue to happen to every single team in the NFL.

if we were giving up 30 points a game, id be with you. but points by the offense usually means a mistake by the defense. so unless were pitching shutouts each week, somebody will make a mistake on this defense.

and on top of this, our defenses issues are magnified tenfold by maybe the worst offense in football.

You also have to take into account that, with our offense struggling so much to score, opposing teams haven't really had to attack our defense for a full 4 quarters. Teams are usually trying to sit on their lead and/or burn out the clock by the second half.

We play ultra conservative on defense even though we actually have a lot of talent on that side of the ball, so the scoring is minimal, but in the context of the game our defense usually comes up short in key situations.

It's a pretty good defense. It's not a great defense. It doesn't cause enough game-changing plays to be a great defense. But if you give this defense to a bunch of middle of the road teams in the NFL, they would be contenders for their division if nothing else.

It's a pretty good defense. It's not a great defense. It doesn't cause enough game-changing plays to be a great defense. But if you give this defense to a bunch of middle of the road teams in the NFL' date=' they would be contenders for their division if nothing else.[/quote']

We could and should be a great defense, though. I have high expectations for the talent we have on that side of the ball. They aren't playing close to their potential right now.

You also have to take into account that, with our offense struggling so much to score, opposing teams haven't really had to attack our defense for a full 4 quarters. Teams are usually trying to sit on their lead and/or burn out the clock by the second half.

I don't buy that at all.

Every game we've played has been in doubt in the fourth quarter, except for perhaps the Eagles game.

Teams aren't calling off the dogs on us in the 4th.

Teams do play conservative against us because they don't want to make mistakes that give our offense cheap points. But that's not the same as saying that they aren't trying to score.

I don't buy that at all.

Every game we've played has been in doubt in the fourth quarter' date=' except for perhaps the Eagles game.

Teams do play conservative against us because they don't want to make mistakes that give our offense cheap points. But that's not the same as saying that they aren't trying to score.[/quote']

Right...even up a score or two, most offenses in today's NFL keep their foot on the pedal. The classic Riggo Drill to protect a one-score lead for 8 minutes is pretty much dead.

I don't buy that at all.

Every game we've played has been in doubt in the fourth quarter' date=' except for perhaps the Eagles game.

Teams do play conservative against us because they don't want to make mistakes that give our offense cheap points. But that's not the same as saying that they aren't trying to score.[/quote']

I'm not saying they don't try to score, but their focus becomes running out the clock more often than not. The Falcons were trying to run out the clock and our D STILL gave up the big plays. Then you look at games like Carolina and Detroit when our D failed to get off the field in the 4th quarter.

I'm not saying they don't try to score, but their focus becomes running out the clock more often than not. The Falcons were trying to run out the clock and our D STILL gave up the big plays. Then you look at games like Carolina and Detroit when our D failed to get off the field in the 4th quarter.

The Falcons run the ball well all the time. I don't know if they have a list of "run out the clock" plays versus a list of "Michael Turner runs for a TD" plays. Up 7, they needed a score. It just happened to come on a running play. Since they run the ball very very well, that's to be expected.

The D has had trouble getting the quote-unquote big stop for years now. I don't think we are a terribly fit team to be honest.

I hate to break this to you but the reason it tends to be the same people, is because we are not starting ronald McDonald at free saftey alternating weeks ...

I don't get why people seem so down on our D, particulary the secondary, which has given up 12 TDs in the season ... that is 1.5 TDs per game ... I think thats pretty good personally but naah your probably right we should trash the entire lot ... I wonder what Ronald is doing this sunday ...

I blame the DE or LB for not keeping containment on the reverse and on the runs.

Still even factoring that in, yeah the breakdowns of the plays that hurt us were the secondary. Man do I miss guys like Alvin Walton and Darrell Green.

Thanks for taking the time to put this OP together!

The Falcons run the ball well all the time. I don't know if they have a list of "run out the clock" plays versus a list of "Michael Turner runs for a TD" plays. Up 7' date=' they needed a score. It just happened to come on a running play. Since they run the ball very very well, that's to be expected.

The D has had trouble getting the quote-unquote big stop for years now. I don't think we are a terribly fit team to be honest.[/quote']

I don't expect our D to give up long runs like that. At all. Those were the longest Turner has had this season. The caliber of talent we have shouldn't allow that. But the players take on the character of the system. We have a system that has them back on their heels all the time. No aggresion. No play making. No attitude to step up in crunch time.

Archived