Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quotes and stories about Snyder from former employees

robotfire

I don't believe we can put any stock in what Riggins says about Snyder. He's worked with Snyder as much as I have. I also don't believe we can put any stock in what people currently with the organization have to say. As long as they have a job, they should treat the boss with respect. The point of this thread is to find quotes from people previously involved with Snyder to get an idea of what's really going on. Here's what I've got (please feel free to add):

Mike Nolan and the melting ice cream: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20051021/ai_n15803723/

Mike Nolan claims that Snyder left 31 flavors of ice cream melting on his desk. A Snyder spokesman claims that the story never happened. Then, he tries to blame Vinny Cerrato. The Post asks Norv Turner if they should retract the story. Turner tells them "absolutely not" and that Snyder threatened him with ice cream as well.

Joe Gibbs on Dan Snyder: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/10/joe-gibbs-defends-redskins-owner-daniel-snyder-he-supported-me-in-every-way/1 "When I was there last go-round, we had somebody that was a passionate owner, cared about things and supported me in every way. I think any NFL team, it's tough when you're not winning, and those things are easy to get off. All you've got to do is look around this year and Tennessee and some of the other teams are struggling that were real good last year."

Snyder sent his private plane to fly Jon Jansen to talk to him in person about his release. Jansen had quotes that seemed bitter about the release, saying something along the lines of how he should have expected it with the way this organization has treated others. In my opinion, his quote (which I can't find for the life of me) was clearly out of bitterness for being released.

http://www.zimbio.com/Jon+Jansen/articles/Z-2dfiIJMi1/Long+Time+Redskins+Tackle+Jon+Jansen+signs

Lavar Arrington claims that Dan Snyder pulled the old switcharoo with his contract.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A19038-2004Mar23

Lavar Arrington on Dan Snyder - “I now can honestly say that why would things ever change for our team when he has no respect for employees or fans and we have none for him?"

Why does Lavar call the Skins his team? He got benched by Gregg Williams and not Snyder and had the ear of Snyder as Portis does now for his tenure.....the fact that he and his agent can't or wouldn't read his contract before signing it and that he has a restaurant here doesn't help his cause to me. He's a hater straight up and he and Chad play that gig fully up and its tired...at least I can turn to Doc and hear talk about the ENTIRE NFL games and what is going on and not just vitriol for ratings....and I used to like Chad and Oscar but Chad is a shill of himself but obviously is playing the 2nd fiddle role well for the ratings.

The Ice Cream story is absurd. I would hope that Snyder has matured as an owner since then, but have no idea if he has.

There is no doubt Snyder has done many good things as an owner, but his obsession with Vinny Cerrato and his salary structure scheme create a losing environment. Players need to feel they have something more to gain and prove as well as needing the fear that they could loose their job at any time in order to perform at their top level. None of those happen under the skins' max-out-the-credit-card system of roster/salary management. They need to hire someone from the Eagles to show them how to manage the roster.

I still think the Lavar thing was totally bogus. On the off chance that Snyder did intentionally hoodwink Lavar and Poston, it worked out great for the team because Lavar crashed and burned shortly after.

The ice cream was a dick move, but in Snyder's defense Mike Nolan's D that year was HORRIBLE. And Mike Nolan may be an even bigger douche than Danny. Nolan always struck me as somebody who felt he was Lombardi good but really was a joke.

You know, I think I'm done hating Snyder and back to hating Nolan; sweet!!

No wait, it's back; i hate snyder again.

as the story goes snyder didnt like nolan's "vanilla" defense so he had the 31 flavors left on his desk to send a message.

It was a dick move, but not to most fans at the time. He did run a very vanilla D. Nolan, himself did a similar thing to his own players by giving players, who did not hustle a "loaf".

What goes around comes around, I guess.

Only when they brought in Bill Arnsparger as CONSULTANT (oh my, the evil of that move--it never works) did the D improve in 1999, which led to a division title.

Do we blame/credit Snyder for Arnsparger?

That division title was won thanks to the offense and a down year in the NFC East. So to answer the question, Snyder does not get blame or credit. It was inconsequential to the ultimate success or failure of the team.

But what it does show that in ten years the man still does the same things over and over and is no closer to knowing how to run a football organization.

the ice cream prank was a bush league move by a man who was adept at making money but clueless about managing people... it seems though as he's matured, snyder no longer uses similar pointless and childish tactics... least I haven't heard anything like it from him...

Why does it even matter what kind of a person Snyder is? All I want from him is, A GM that has full control. If this team was winning right now no one would even care how much of a dick is. I have had plenty of bosses that were A-Holes, but that had nothing to with how they done there job.

Bottom line...He needs to sign the checks and let someone else call all the shots, Anything outside of that is grasping for reasons to bash the team.

Only when they brought in Bill Arnsparger as CONSULTANT (oh my, the evil of that move--it never works) did the D improve in 1999, which led to a division title.

I do agree but many on here actually have forgotten that the 1999 team won with defense down the stretch. That move to bring in Arnsparger did work. It might have been that move that gave the owner confidence to meddle to be honest.

It reminds me of the 1996 Orioles when Angelos vetoed trades of Wells and Bonilla. Those two non-moves resulted in a playoff berth for the O's but might have ultimately set the long-term direction of the franchise back several years.

Yeah and with such asinine moves by Snyder, this team has been on a winning streak ever since, lol.

Do we blame/credit Snyder for the asinine moves?

Mike Nolan and the melting ice cream: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20051021/ai_n15803723/

Mike Nolan claims that Snyder left 31 flavors of ice cream melting on his desk. A Snyder spokesman claims that the story never happened. Then, he tries to blame Vinny Cerrato. The Post asks Norv Turner if they should retract the story. Turner tells them "absolutely not" and that Snyder threatened him with ice cream as well.

Didn't he also send Coles ice cream and a bigscreen TV so that he could watch the game from home?

Archived