Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do old people get Matt Ryan's nickname?

LT Smash

No way man. PBR won a blue ****ing ribbon. What has JC won?

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

Yeah...but that was in like 1896 or something.

I actually don't mind PBR...but the reputation precedes it. Lol.

Oh...and JC won a few games in college. A few of them with "Championship" in the title.

Still...lol.

Serious question. I see newspaper columnists refer to him all the time as "Matty Ice," the nickname he got in college, and they all say it's because he's "cool under pressure" or something like that. But do they get where it comes from?

And by old people, I mean 30+ or so. You know, relatively mature adults.

I'm 35, relatively immature, and immediately got the reference. Kids these days......:silly:

Absolutely. However, I feel like once you hit a certain age, you are more likely to try to avoid it. I just don't feel like the "older gentlemen" are Natty Ice's target age group.

And 19 is?

What is this 'beer' you speak of? Is it some space age beverage that the youngins are drinking now?

Serious question. I see newspaper columnists refer to him all the time as "Matty Ice," the nickname he got in college, and they all say it's because he's "cool under pressure" or something like that. But do they get where it comes from?

And by old people, I mean 30+ or so. You know, relatively mature adults.

Ice beers became popular amongst the college crowd in the mid to late 90s. Which is right when 30-35 year olds were in college. I'd think the reference is probably more difficult for those in their late 40s and up.

Thanks for making me feel old at the age of 31, btw.

Hi there. :)
That's really become more intimidating with the picture of Zorn in flames as your avatar.

As for the "Matty Ice" nickname, it's probably my most hated nickname in pro sports. Just so corny. Although appropriately so for a sort of nerdy white guy who played QB at a school like Boston College.

That's really become more intimidating with the picture of Zorn in flames as your avatar.

As for the "Matty Ice" nickname, it's probably my most hated nickname in pro sports. Just so corny. Although appropriately so for a sort of nerdy white guy who played QB at a school like Boston College.

Lol. :hysterical: I've never thought of it like that before.

There's one thing that greatly annoys me, but it isn't a nickname per se... "Ray Rice from Rutgers who runs for the Ravens." When I hear Eisen (?) say that on Gameday, it makes me cringe. He says it literally every game.

I never really understood the whole Megatron thing either, but I digress.

There's one thing that greatly annoys me, but it isn't a nickname per se... "Ray Rice from Rutgers who runs for the Ravens." When I hear Eisen (?) say that on Gameday, it makes me cringe. He says it literally every game.

Roy Williams came up with it, referring to Johnson's huge overall size and his large hands, which he translated to being like the massive Decepticon.

Kind of strange, but I like that one a lot. Pretty unique and has a cool ring to it at least.

You should digress.

An ex redskins fan in redskins country still posting on a redskins board. :hysterical:

You should digress.

An ex redskins fan in redskins country still posting on a redskins board. :hysterical:

"Fan" might be too strong of a word. I didn't watch football back when I rooted for my mom's team.

Back to the topic: So now that we've established where the nickname came from, does anyone really think that Ryan was a "keg stand champ." I just can't picture it... the guy looks younger than me.

"Fan" might be too strong of a word. I didn't watch football back when I rooted for my mom's team.

Back to the topic: So now that we've established where the nickname came from, does anyone really think that Ryan was a "keg stand cham." I just can't picture it... the guy looks younger than me.

Does this guy really look like he's any kind of drinking champion?:

img200mattryan.jpg

I love Matt Ryan as a player, but he seriously looks so goofy. Not to the level of Eli Manning shrugging his shoulders/giving a little kick to the dirt after throwing an INT goofy, but still pretty goofy.

I don't think the "Matty Ice" nickname has any kind of real meaning behind it other than the generic "cool under pressure" idea. I've heard he got it in high school from some of his baseball/football performances, but I don't think there's any particularly standout story behind it.

He got it as a freshman in high school actually. One of my buddies was a captain on the Penn Charter team when Ryan first got there. My friend and the other seniors gave it to him.

No question it's a Natty Ice reference. I chuckle every time I hear someone in the media talk about it.

Does this guy really look like he's any kind of drinking champion?:

img200mattryan.jpg

I love Matt Ryan as a player, but he seriously looks so goofy. Not to the level of Eli Manning shrugging his shoulders/giving a little kick to the dirt after throwing an INT goofy, but still pretty goofy.

I don't think the "Matty Ice" nickname has any kind of real meaning behind it other than the generic "cool under pressure" idea. I've heard he got it in high school from some of his baseball/football performances, but I don't think there's any particularly standout story behind it.

Lol so true. I could see a guy like Ben R, but Matt Ryan is just too "Aww shucks" for me to picture him doing something like that.

Archived