Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Worse Thing That Could've Happened This Year - Colt Brennan on IR

ceviker

Chase Daniel and Colt have become friends. I'll bet money Colt called Chase after the Saints continued their undefeated streak tonight. I'll bet Chase told him that Drew Brees has NFL qualities that we all admire. Chase has a real leader to follow. We have a bunch of mush at our QB leader position.

To all you Colt detractors, get back on the Campbell bandwagon where you belong.

You can pull that bandwagon out of the ditch. You can do it!

Thinking Colt is a 6th round flyer pick with little chance of success in the NFL doesn't make you a Campbell bandwagoner, i'm certainly not a fan of Campbell. I'm a fan of good QBs, which the Redskins have none of.

All this talk about Chase and Colt is making my head spin, never have a 6th round pick and undrafted FA that have never taken a snap in a regular season NFL game gotten so much attention.

Repeat after me, the most popular guy in an NFL city when the team is bad, is the backup QB, being that our 37 year old backup doesn't count, it all filters down to Colt.

Repeat after me, the most popular guy in an NFL city when the team is bad, is the backup QB, being that our 37 year old backup doesn't count, it all filters down to Colt.

Ah, the days of Sonny and Billy, with an occasional "what was his name?" thrown in.

But, for me, I believe that Colt Brennan can be the man.

Right now, we don't have "the man" at starting or backup QB.

I'm not a "Cult of Colt" guy. Do I think he has a chance of being great in this league? Yeah, of course he does. Every QB that makes the NFL has that chance. What's the most likely scenario? He is comp fodder, nothing more. Everyone can say anything they want about Colt - good or bad. In reality, he is an unproven guy with little chance at making it in this league.

A little chance at making it is a lot better than no hope (Jason Campbell). And to a lot of people's comments about the OL, I absolutely agree it makes it that much harder on anyone, let alone a 6th round project that has never taken a snap in the regular season.

But don't tell me that if he was healthy and Zorn said "We're starting Brennan this week" that nearly every Redskins fan would be excited about the upcoming week. Hope is a beautiful thing, no matter how unlikely it is. That's the point of my thread.

I 100% realize we have many other problems than QB, specifically OL. But look at Aaron Rogers in Green Bay. Go to NFL.com and see how many times he's been sacked. You'll see that he's been sacked 31 times - 11 more times than Campbell. You know what? Throw out the stats. Just go back and watch the last two Green Bay games. The guy is getting MURDERED. Absolutely killed. You know what though? He has a 110.4 QB rating. 110 point freakin 4. That's the best in the NFL. He's completing over 65% of his passes, thrown 14 tds and only 2 picks. Green Bay is also 4-3 fighting for a playoff spot.

Great QBs make plays despite short comings. If Campbell was the answer, we may not be 5-2 with our o-line. But we'd be in the playoff race despite all our defencies. We might end up 8-8 or 9-7 and fall just short, but we'd be going into the off-season knowing we have our QB and knowing we just need to get him an OL.

I'm not saying Brennan is Aaron Rogers. There's a 1% chance he can be. But that's 1% more than Jason Campbell.

Based on the numbers, why wouldn't I?

Tom Brady's success doesn't translate to success for Colt.

Based on number would you have thought Matt Cassel would have mounted to anything since he didn't even have any numbers in college?

And yes regardless of what you say it would have been nice to see if Colt is a starter or not and if so then let's get linemen in the draft. Not sure why something so simple has you stuck in it would have not mattered since you know for a FACT Colt would have not mattered anyways.

Colt would've given us something to watch that's for sure

We would have watched him being carted off on a stretcher. I don't find that interesting. He'd be having his 5th surgery right now to add to the other 4 he's had in 1 1/2 years. The only hope Colt has of being a starting NFL quarterback is if they began playing the games in a rehab center.

It would have increased Redskin fan interest if Colt was on the active roster, for sure.

I think Zorn, or whoever controlled him at the time, was stupid for playing Campbell in the last game last year against the 49r's. Campbell stunk up the house and the Skins lost.

The Skins have become famous for lost opportunities. I still love them, since I have paid for season tickets for 32 straight years now.

But, I am going to ask Dan Snyder to please shake things up on the FO side. I'll never forget what you said when you bought the team and went over to Redskins Park as the new owner. You said the Redskins were "sleepy." Since you recognize it, Dan, I'm worried that the FO is sleepy, again. You are surely putting the Redskins fans to sleep.

This comment is not about the players, Dan. I hope you take it to heart, and wake up our beloved Redskins. Don't you have that responsibility?

If he looked as good this preseason as in 2008 I would agree, but he looked really awful.

Not sure which preseason you watched, the first of the three picks was the receivers fault, Haagans against Ravens didn't finish his route, one Colt tried to force a throw into tight coverage (Pittsburgh) and the other was a good jump by the DB after a similiar pattern was thrown to Davis in the red zone (Patriots).

Colt actually looked pretty good overall, especially with our 2 and 3rd offensive lines, which provided little protection.

The main tragedy is that the Skins still do not know how high the Colt Brennan ladder can go. They have not given him a chance to play with starters against starters.

It was a huge mistake not to have an open competition for QB at camp this year.

The guy we should have kept is now 3rd stringer in New Orleans. He's better than JC or TC.

Can't say he's better than JC or TC, but I would honestly like to see him play...

CB5 is a terrible QB, JC and TC aren't the future and they suck.... I'm all for signing Daniel and giving him the reigns.... what does it matter anyway

I think the OPs point is valid - having Colt would give fans something to look forward to; not necessarily be the cure-all for the offensive woes.

As expected, however, many think that one change can fix everything. It can't. The OL can't be coached into greatness - the personnel is sub-sub-sub-standard. The offense needs to be blown up, including the scheme and the coaches. I see only two starters surviving - Cooley and Moss, with Moss as a #2. No one else is good enough and young enough to be starting 3-4 years from now when there is a chance at a SB run. I'm not advocating cutting everyone else, just taking the best player available at the remaining positions for the next two drafts and hoping to get lucky at a couple positions. Keep players like Thomas that have theoretical promise up until the point where its clear that they won't be stars. Dump overpaid players or players on the downside of their careers like ARE and CP.

For the rest of this season, we may as well sit back and enjoy. Have a good laugh when someone puts up the 10 reasons the Skins can beat the Saints. Dig through stats to disprove that JC is the best QB in the NFCE. Make up anti-Danny slogans for tshirts. But don't get down - its just a game, and this round is lost.

bottom line is none of us know if Colt can be the future, yet... I do remember watching him last season and thinking he has some promise and looks like he is worth keeping around for a few years to see if he progresses.

This season I had similar thoughts about Chase Daniels (who I cannot believe nobody drafted). Chase did appear to have a good pocket presence and did "throw the ball' well, as Colt did last pre-season.

Of course Colt had a year with Zorn and appears to have gotten worse. Might the same have happened to Chase if Washington kept him?

Campbell has definitely gotten worse to where nobody wants top even trade for him! He has had 5 years to become a pro and has not stepped up. He is just not getting it.

Now we have Todd Collins. People are trying to say he is done. Remember just one thing about Collins; he is the last Redskins QB to average more than 20 points a game? Why again should he not be the starter? He could be the QB that gets the players mind back on track and gets this team moving forward again. No Todd is not our future but he can be our "Right Now".

Funny how not knowing provides the Colt-bashers with the knowledge he sucks.

I wonder where we'd be if Colt had gotten all the reps, attention, and experience Campbell has....

The fact is Colt isn't a starter, he couldn't beat out TC as a number 2 during preseason...he looked good in a few PRESEASON game LAST year not this year, this year he looked like garbage against scrub players and vanilla schemes. JC sucks but Colt can't play NFL qb. He was a good college QB in a college system, but he was always dinged up in college and in his already short career he has had several little injuries including this season ending one.....imagine what he would look like if he WAS in there behind this line? He wouldn't last a game.

We would have watched him being carted off on a stretcher. I don't find that interesting. He'd be having his 5th surgery right now to add to the other 4 he's had in 1 1/2 years. The only hope Colt has of being a starting NFL quarterback is if they began playing the games in a rehab center.

^^ This~! nicely said!:D

And if we DO get a REAL GM this offseason, I highly doubt Colt will be here, he has done zilch for the Redskins and would just take up a roster spot inbetween injuries.

^^ This~! nicely said!:D

How many times has JC been carted off the field. Oh wait our O-line is not that bad. ;)

Two injuries to ankles. One because he was drilled to the ground. See here: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3052500

Two injuries due to his over grown hip and had to be fixed surgically - like Colt says blame his parent for giving him overgrown bones in the hips. So when did genetic defects became injuries?

Yet some people think or are delusional when they say Colt is injury prone.

Two injuries due to his over grown hip and had to be fixed surgically - like Colt says blame his parent for giving him overgrown bones in the hips. So when did genetic defects became injuries?

Yet some people think or are delusional when they say Colt is injury prone.

In the Bears game, JC had three defensive lineman, around 900 pounds, on top of him at the same time. He was very lucky to only have his knee cap out of place.

So far as Colt, the hip bone excuse is one of the weakess arguments I have ever seen. Did his hip bones magically get longer as soon as he left college? Of course not. The difference wasn't in Colt's anatomy. It was in the heavier weight of the defensive players and their harder hitting ability.

Did the hip bones have anything to do with torn knee cartiladge on the practice filed or a torn hamstring from a pre-season game. Both requiring surgery.

You can't seriously think that 4 surgeries since college is not injury prone and he hasn't even played a down of a regulation NFL game. You're delusional if you think he would ever last through an entire NFL season. He can't even last through practice and pre-season.

it would have been a blast to see what colt could do with this team. there would have been lots of "oh my god!" moments and lots of "what the ****??" moments, but it would have been 10x more fun than the garbage we roll out every week.

hearing him going on IR was the worst news ever when it came out, especially since we werent even gonna keep chase daniel.

In the Bears game, JC had three defensive lineman, around 900 pounds, on top of him at the same time. He was very lucky to only have his knee cap out of place.

So far as Colt, the hip bone excuse is one of the weakess arguments I have ever seen. Did his hip bones magically get longer as soon as he left college? Of course not. The difference wasn't in Colt's anatomy. It was in the heavier weight of the defensive players and their harder hitting ability.

Did the hip bones have anything to do with torn knee cartiladge on the practice filed or a torn hamstring from a pre-season game. Both requiring surgery.

You can't seriously think that 4 surgeries since college is not injury prone. You're delusional if you think he would ever last through an entire NFL season. He can't even last through practice and pre-season.

Maybe you should go tell Colt that he should stop making excuses by saying it is his parent's fault. I am just saying what Colt said about his hip injuries. Not an excuse just the facts.

As far as his poor outing in this pre-season:

"The Redskins did not reveal the injury when it occurred, and Brennan - who had surgery to repair a slightly torn labrum in his right hip in April 2008 - continued to play despite the discomfort. But the injury had an effect on Brennan's mechanics, a league source told me today, and made it harder for him to operate within the offense."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/brennans-hip-a-problem-all-pre.html

Somebody get the Babe on the line

Or Mark Rypien (6th round draft pick) or Gus Frerrotte (7th round) or Stan Humphries (6th round). Hall of Fame quarterbacks? No way. But all were late round picks by the Redskins who carved out decent NFL careers.

Contrast that list with Heath Shuler (1st round), Patrick Ramsey (1st round) or Jason Campbell (1st round).

Archived