Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Pit Bull Thread

ljs

I know we already have some Pit bull threads for specific issues, but they tend to just mutate into whatever...anyway, I thought since it seems to be a hot topic, that maybe we could have one thread where we can post news articles, thoughts (try to be nice everyone) and such. Locally there have been some issues come up and I didn't want to start a thread for each one, or post in the already long thread (like the Denver ban thread).

Anyway, the latest Pit bull in the news around my area is of a 1 yr old Pit that someone shot with an arrow. The article doesn't say if the Pit was loose, or aggressive- or if it was in its own yard. The article posted online doesn't say much, but from what I saw on the TV news, the Humane society stated the dog has not shown signs of aggression, and pointed out the fact she is still a puppy.

11369048_BG1.jpg

arrow.jpg?t=1256323622

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=11369048

Well, at least he's alright. Here's an interesting case. I hope they win their case and get boatloads of money. (Although, that won't really right the wrong that was committed.)

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20091016/NEWS01/910160338/1060

"LAFAYETTE — A father and son acquitted in 2008 of dogfighting are suing the Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for euthanizing their 57 pit bulls after the men were arrested in 2005.

Floyd and Guy Boudreaux, both of Youngsville, want compensation for mental and emotional distress and loss of property and income.

Attorney Richard Dalton, who filed their lawsuit this week in state district court, said the family bred American pit bull terriers for a century, creating an internationally known bloodline known by the names Eli and Boudreaux.

Louisiana state police arrested the men on dogfighting charges and seized the dogs March 11, 2005. The father and son were acquitted of all charges in October 2008.

Everything confiscated from the men should have been returned after their acquittal, Dalton said. "But all the dogs are dead. There's no more Boudreaux/Eli breed. The mom and pop direct descendants that would not have been sold are dead. That's 100 years of breeding that's gone.""

I believe this weekend is National Pit Bull Awareness Weekend (at least here in Austin). There are all sort of interesting events going on.

Is this the same in other cities?

Yeah, Rescue Ink is coming to Baltimore on Saturday for a day of pit bull related events. (free spay/neutering, pit bull demonstrations, dog shows, etc.)

http://www.baltimorehumane.org/news/1-latest-news/326-rescue-ink-back-in-baltimore

Well, at least he's alright. Here's an interesting case. I hope they win their case and get boatloads of money. (Although, that won't really right the wrong that was committed.)

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20091016/NEWS01/910160338/1060

"LAFAYETTE — A father and son acquitted in 2008 of dogfighting are suing the Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for euthanizing their 57 pit bulls after the men were arrested in 2005.

Floyd and Guy Boudreaux, both of Youngsville, want compensation for mental and emotional distress and loss of property and income.

Attorney Richard Dalton, who filed their lawsuit this week in state district court, said the family bred American pit bull terriers for a century, creating an internationally known bloodline known by the names Eli and Boudreaux.

Louisiana state police arrested the men on dogfighting charges and seized the dogs March 11, 2005. The father and son were acquitted of all charges in October 2008.

Everything confiscated from the men should have been returned after their acquittal, Dalton said. "But all the dogs are dead. There's no more Boudreaux/Eli breed. The mom and pop direct descendants that would not have been sold are dead. That's 100 years of breeding that's gone.""

I hope they win!! That's typical of the knee jerk reaction this breed gets. It's a "pit bull" "kill it"....:doh: The amusing thing is that there are more ER visits because "ankle bitter" dogs...:hysterical: I'm not a fan of little "dogs" personally...how can they even be called dogs...rats with a bark...lol

That's terrible, but if the dog was running around in the woods during the hunting season it doesn't surprise me.

I have 2 pits and they are awesome family pets. One was a pound pooch and the other one we got as a pup. :cool2:

This is in the city of about 200k people- even though we are surrounded by the woods/mtns. The actual area this took place is no where near hunting areas.

I believe this weekend is National Pit Bull Awareness Weekend (at least here in Austin). There are all sort of interesting events going on.

Is this the same in other cities?

I'll have to check, but I haven't heard anything around here- I do recall seeing something earlier this week about adoption month or something, but it wasn't exclusive to Pitts.

Honest question. Why would anyone want to own a pit given all the other choices out there? What does the pit bull give you that other breeds can't provide. Even if the odds of the pit bull going nuts is very small, why even risk it?

Can only answer for myself, but I never had intentions of getting one. Mine was a rescue dog that a friend took home after she wandered around the detention center for a week. She couldn't keep the dog for various reasons, so I took her- honestly was reluctant. the dog was 6-8 months old at the time and is now 11. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Honest question. Why would anyone want to own a pit given all the other choices out there? What does the pit bull give you that other breeds can't provide. Even if the odds of the pit bull going nuts is very small, why even risk it?

Well, some people don't choose a dog, a dog chooses them.

I have a pit-mix. My GF and I decided we wanted a dog about 1 1/2 years ago. We went to pound after pound and shelter after shelter and did not find the "right" dog. We were not out looking for a certain breed, but instead a certain personality type.

We finally went to a place called HART in DC (AMAZING place http://www.hart90.org/).

They don't have cages like a pound, but instead rooms with half-walls. So i am leaning up again one of the walls and this dog comes over very calm and quiet, puts his paws on the top of the wall and puts his head on me and licks me. And kind of just falls asleep on me a bit.

He was a 1 1/2 year old pit-border collie mix that had been in the rescue place for 6 months and he selected me.

HART is not a regular pound. Any dog they bring in is tested in various scenarios under strict supervision and the results are recorded and provided to you so you know what you are getting. They do dog aggression test, people tests, stranger tests, cat aggression, food tests, toy tests. They even left him in a room alone with trash cans for 30 mins, and record what they do on camera to see if they cry when alone or rip things up.

I then had to do an interview (2 really) had fill out an extensive application. A group of professionals then place each dog with the best home. A week later he was ours.

He is now 3 years old and I could never imagine life without him.

I simply don't believe that well trained/socialized pit bulls will "go nuts" at random. I believe that the statistics are the way they are because pit bulls/pit mixes are *THE* premier dog for fighting/protection/guarding. People who own the dogs for these reasons generally either train them to be aggressive/territorial, or simply don't really pay them much attention.

They have the chance (that all dogs have) of randomly attacking, it is just worse with a pit because of their strength and tenacity. That is why you must make sure they are trained well, and take the appropriate precautions. (never have the dog off leash in public, never leave them in a situation where they are unwatched and can escape, etc. etc.)

Like some of the above posters, I never really planned on owning a pit either. When my girlfriend and I decided to get a dog she fell in love with pit/lab mix at a local adoption center. We've had him ever since and never had a problem with him being aggressive, towards animals or humans. He was even attacked one time to the point of multiple puncture wounds at a local dog park by a huskie mix. He never seriously retaliated, just ran over to me. If he had you would have read all over the news about how an aggressive pit bull attacked another dog.

I like pit bulls. They aren't my favorite dog. (I've always wanted an Irish Wolfhound.) I probably won't own any more after the one we currently have and another I'm planning on adopting soon. They do require more work than many other breeds. It's just worth it for me at this point in my life.

Growing up we had a Shepard when I was little and then we raised and bred Dobermans. All awesome dogs but people still never came to our house for Halloween and stuff. :silly:

Not to beat a dead horse but it's not the breed its the people....really, guns don't kill, people kill. Same idea.

I often make this point to people, what were breeds like Dobermans and Sheppard's created for??

To attack and kill people.

What were pits bred for?

Fighting other animals.

So, which would you rather be around? An animal that was bred to attack and kill you or an animal that was bred to fight other animals. Of course any animal can be dangerous but...

My dogs have been socialized to be around other animals as well as people. They've lived with multiple dogs and cats over the years and have never harmed anything or anyone.

Are there bad dogs out there?? Absolutely!! but I see it as bad owners and not bad dogs.

One more point, I've only been bitten twice in my life, once by a Golden Retriever and another time on my paper route by some hairy dog. Oh. and a friend of mine has Chihuahuas and they are the nastiest creatures on the earth...:silly: vile little creatures...

EDIT: Technically I own American Staffordshire terriers. :)

Like others have posted....we did not pickout our pit bull....she picked out us.

We had a wonderful Bullmastiff that had to be euthanized due to illness and old age (she was 12...ancient for a dog her size). We had told ourselves that we would not be getting another dog for awhile, but that lasted about 2 months before we were searching local rescues. We actually found a 4 year old Bullmastiff at the local city shelter and put the paperwork in to adopt her once she cleared the waiting period (5 days). The morning of the 5th day, her owners picked her up - it was the 4th time she had been picked up as a stray.

We were just wandering around the shelter when my wife decided she wanted to play with the puppies while I was looking at a pair of older Great Danes that were an owner surrender. Shelby walked up to my wife and whined for a second. Cara picked her up, and promptly had a 4 month old pit bull snuggled and asleep on her shoulder. At that point, it was all over.

I have always like pit bulls, but did not think I would own one. First, I prefer the mastiff breeds. Second, they are generally too high energy for my liking, plus all the legal crap that goes along with them (finding an insurance company that will insure your house, having to be aware of BSLs, etc). Yet Shelby has been worth it.

Oh....and I still got my Great Dane(mix) a few years later, so it worked out, though our house may not survive her puppyhood...Shelby and the Dane puppy (Ki) have already almost tipped over a couch, coffee table, and a table playing.

On the LA SPCA story - Since ol' Floyd is a well known dog fighter, I am twice as mad at the SPCA for destroying the dogs. Not only did they give the dogs no chance to be evaluated for future adoption (see: Vick's dogs), but the idiots destroyed the evidence (the dogs) which is ultimately what got him off the hook :doh:

Poor puppy.

(In before GoSkins, zoony, and others rant against the dogs)

First thread I opened. ;)

---------------------------------

I feel bad for the dog if it was in his yard and I realize people try to kill pits while in t their own yard all of the time. on the other hand, if the pit was running lose, because of their reputation, i understand in some circumstances. I will use my neighbors pit that attacked my dog as an example. If that dog were to ever come in my yard again, it was toast and missing. :)

What do the other breeds give you that a pitt cannot provide?

I own a pack of Pitt bull mix breeds and I rescued all from shelters. As many have said its the breeder and or owner (if they arent the same person) not the breed. If raised correctly ( the way you would raise any other loyal, family pet) the dog will love you like a child. If mistreated, they will act out like a child... with a strong bite force and muscles. I spent the money on neutering and spaying to curb the testosterone (something i think should be done to all family pets, especially bully breed family pets) and energy output, I spent the coin on voice training, though I still adhere to leash laws off my proporty. My dogs are the best. Gentile with my neices, they play with my cat, and occupy my house when I am not home. I think people who have had an adverse experience should meet my dogs. I also have a pure bred Jindu from the Island of Jindu in North Korea. Her name is O-Ren, and she is the one you really have to watch out for. Much more tempermental, and she doesnt bark or growl, much more difficult to guage her mood. If spooked, O-Ren will defend herself, my other dogs... just dont get spooked. They are like a bunch of class clowns. Out of my four dogs, the Jindu is the Alpha now, go figure.. over three big and scary pitt bulls. I understand peoples aprehension, especially if they have had an adverse experience with a Pitt Bull. The glamour the breed got in the 90's wasnt good publicity for the breed, and not indicative of their nature. I dont expect to change anyones mind, but if you ever want to meet a pack of goof ball pits, Id be willing to introduce them... but dont worry, Ill leave O-Ren at home. lol.

First thread I opened. ;)

These threads seem to be like crack for some of us..... ;)

I feel bad for the dog if it was in his yard and I realize people try to kill pits while in t their own yard all of the time. on the other hand, if the pit was running lose, because of their reputation, i understand in some circumstances. I will use my neighbors pit that attacked my dog as an example. If that dog were to ever come in my yard again, it was toast and missing. :)

See, I would understand that. If a dog had attacked one of my dogs, and then stepped one foot on my property, it would not be leaving it. Course, first option for me would to be to call AC, but still, I understand the emotion involved.

The reason I am not sure on this one is that, I hope, most people even in that situation would not shoot the dog with an arrow...and let it run off somewhere.

I am betting that either it was an accident, or it was someone being <insert random list of swear words here> and shooting it for fun, which sadly happends too often.

• 4 weeks later...

I have caught the Animal Planet show, Pit Bulls and Parolee's a couple times. Last night made me tear up.

Lady calls Tia (the owner of rescue and "star" of show). A pit bull has been abandoned near callers house, and no one will claim it. The dog is near death. Tia finds it, takes it to vet and they realize the dog is full of cancer. The dog is nothing but skin/bones, with puss coming out of the eyes, and even mouth. They put the dog down. It was heartbreaking to watch. yes, they showed the dog getting the injection and taking its last breath.

Will never understand why people abandon their animals or neglect them.

Here's a link to the show, I would encourage you to catch an episode.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/pitbulls-and-parolees/bios/tia.html

Here is an example of one of the dogs she has had for a long time, this one is a survivor of Katrina.

panther-175.jpg

Profile: Panther is one of our 40-plus Katrina dogs. Like so many of the dogs from this disaster, he has an unbelievable story behind him. Panther belonged to the "Lamar Dixon" group — a band of approximately 5,000 pit bulls who were kept at the Lamar Dixon Expo Center in Gonzalez, La., after the hurricane. The rescue efforts turned from weeks to months, and people continued to come to the arena to search for the dogs they wanted to adopt.

As the animal rescue efforts were winding down, the final group of Lamar Dixon dogs remained unwanted. These animals were dubbed the "worst of the worst" — the bottom of the barrel, as one rescue group called them. They got this reputation mostly because of their behavior — but also just because they were pit bulls. So they came here.

Panther is very needy, in that he thrives on human attention. He does need to be primarily an indoor dog, though. When it's windy or rainy outside (as in Katrina weather), he will panic and scream like a child. The nightmare of those days and nights in Louisiana still haunt this little guy. Won't you bring him into your heart and give him peace?

It isn't the breed, its the people for sure but you must admit 90% of people fail to train any dog properly so a pitt having the strength and tenacity to kill will kill if available to it.....you don't read stories of golden retrievers every killing babies....facts.

Goggle Denver Pitt Bull ban and you'll see some seriously Anti American **** going on.

I tried to start a thread about it, but it turned right back into the old "I'm scared of that breed" crap again.

partly why I started this thread- your thread turned into a Pit bull war again, and most missed the actual point you were trying to make.

Archived