Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Don't Think We Need an Ex-Super Bowl Winning Coach

#98QBKiller

As far as I know, no coach has won Super Bowls with more than one team.

And at the same time there are some young and hungry coaches out there. Some of them are ex-SB coaches sons: Kyle Shanahan, Brian Shottenheimer (although Marty didn't win one)...then there are guys like Russ Grimm that we have an innate belief in because of their past accomplishments here...there are guys on the inside like Jerry Gray, KO and Danny Smith that have opportunities to move up to coordinator positions if nothing else...and there are young guys like Todd Bowles and Jason Garrett that will move up to HC positions sooner than later.

Aside from the obvious big names, who could you see as HC here next season?

Russ Grimm and Brian Schottenheimer, as you mentioned, would both be a fine choice if we needed a non-SB-winning coach.

That being said, I have no faith that Snyder would make a good choice in our next HC. He's been burned twice by bringing in coaches that weren't ready for the position. He'll go back to his comfort zone and get a big-name coach, for better or for worse.

I want a guy like Josh McDaniels. He went into Denver and was given complete control. He basically said "If you ain't gonna get in line, get out", and he's backed it up. Very young, too, he'll be there for the long run.

It's frustrating when you see a bunch of other teams doing what we should be doing. Great young QBs, great young hungry coaches, etc.

Grimm has never been a HC or an OC. Other than the nostalgia factor of him being a former Skin, anyone wanting him as the next HC has their head firmly lodged in their arse.

Shottenheimer is a good OC but he has never shown a willingness to be a HC. And I think Marty would steer him 180 degrees away from Snyder.

Face facts; you either need a coach that has been successful or you need a very polished OC to take over. There are more of the latter than the former right now available.

Look folks, I don't believe the problem is our coach, although he does need experience with the rules of the game and the finer points of coaching.

The two problems with the current version of Snyderskins are:

1) The offensive line couldn't block the local HS 3A football defense we have here in Oregon. Almost any good play we experience is either the result of a defensive breakdown, or a heroic play by the offensive skill players involved (possibly both).

2) The defense knows they cannot score every game, and has given up on the offense being able to score. They are inconsistent and exposed in the secondary.

The greatest coaches in history couldn't get more mileage out of this team.

Grimm would be my choice if the bigger names pass, which they prolly will

I agree with an earlier poster... What makes people think that Grimm will be a good HC? He hasn't even been a Coordinator. I'm all for bringing him back to Washington but not as anything higher than OC.

:saber:

I think that GW has as much chance of being the next Skins coach as Marty does.

He was basically told to GTFO by Snyder at the end of 2008.

I honestly didn't know how the GW thing ended after Gibbs. It would still be nice to have him. But obviously at this point none of us have any idea what Snyderatto will do. (i.e. Zorn being hired as HC)

I also don't think we need a retread. Firstly, we need a GM.

Then I hope we get a young fiery coach, although I know Grimm isn't young. He can just focus on being a head coach and not calling plays necessarily, like Coughlin or the Miami coach, Sporano.

We need a proven offensive and defensive mind to take our coordinator spots. I prefer hiring these soon-to-be-fired ex-head coaches: John Fox, Dick Jauron on defense if we don't promote Jerry Gray. We hired GW off his firing from Buffalo I think steady guys like Fox or Jauron would be nice if we don't keep Gray.

On offense, we could get Gary Kubiak if he gets fired if we don't end up hiring Brian Schottenheimer or Kyle Shanahan.

Right now I'm just not too high on a head coach who is essentially the offensive coordinator and playcaller. I want a big picture guy who preaches discipline and hard work.

I also don't think we need a retread. Firstly, we need a GM.

Then I hope we get a young fiery coach, although I know Grimm isn't young. He can just focus on being a head coach and not calling plays necessarily, like Coughlin or the Miami coach, Sporano.

We need a proven offensive and defensive mind to take our coordinator spots. I prefer hiring these soon-to-be-fired ex-head coaches: John Fox, Dick Jauron on defense if we don't promote Jerry Gray. We hired GW off his firing from Buffalo I think steady guys like Fox or Jauron would be nice if we don't keep Gray.

On offense, we could get Gary Kubiak if he gets fired if we don't end up hiring Brian Schottenheimer or Kyle Shanahan.

Right now I'm just not too high on a head coach who is essentially the offensive coordinator and playcaller. I want a big picture guy who preaches discipline and hard work.

Couldn't agree more man. I like your outlook.

They need a coach that can get the best out of the players. Gibbs did that to a lesser degree the second time, and Marty did that when he was here. Somebody that can elevate. Zorn, Spurrier, Norv, weren't capable of doing that. I could care less if the next HC is an offensive guy or a defensive guy, I care that they hire good people who can run a unit effectively. The offense and the HC don't have to be a package deal.

Look folks, I don't believe the problem is our coach, although he does need experience with the rules of the game and the finer points of coaching.

The two problems with the current version of Snyderskins are:

1) The offensive line couldn't block the local HS 3A football defense we have here in Oregon. Almost any good play we experience is either the result of a defensive breakdown, or a heroic play by the offensive skill players involved (possibly both).

2) The defense knows they cannot score every game, and has given up on the offense being able to score. They are inconsistent and exposed in the secondary.

The greatest coaches in history couldn't get more mileage out of this team.

Agreed, except for the head coach part. Zorn.......... Nah. He just doesn't have the ability for the job. Some guys just don't have what it takes and hes' one of them. He simply took advantage of a situation that was thrown in his lap. I would like to see shanahan and a new O-line. If we throw enough s**t on the wall some will stick. :cool:

Archived