Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: The end of the Zorn era begins

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/The-end-of-the-Zorn-era-begins-63914942.html

The end of the Zorn era begins

By: Rick Snider

Examiner Sports Columnist

October 11, 2009

Dan Snyder has set up Jim Zorn for failure.

The Washington Redskins are once more a circus as they face the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. The season is only one-fourth done and already the owner is angling for his next coach. By bringing in “offensive consultant” Sherman Lewis, Snyder will soon have someone to call plays if he fires Zorn.

Anyone who doesn’t see how this will end is frankly naïve. Snyder has undermined Zorn with the players and public. Things can only end badly. A continued offensive malaise could send Zorn packing during the Nov. 1 bye.

Snyder clearly is working on Zorn’s successor. Lewis bridges the transition while allowing the Redskins to pursue several big-name candidates during the season’s final weeks before other teams have a chance, in particular Dallas should the Cowboys not reach the playoffs.

Snyder couldn’t get a half dozen candidates to take the job in 2008 before promoting Zorn from recently-hired offensive coordinator. Nothing has changed to make the job any more enticing. Indeed, Snyder’s recent moves once more show his impatience that would keep any marquee prospect from coming to Washington. Clearly, Snyder hasn’t grown as an owner over 10 years.

Click the link to read the full article...

Kinda insulting by him to say that this is the way it is, especially when we are talking about a guy who has been out of the league for 5 years and has shown no desire to return to the league.

Also, he seems to want to repeat the BS that no one else would take the job. Does he honestly think that Fassel wouldn't have jumped at the job? Ron Meeks and Jim Schwartz seemed to still be interested in the job. The only ones that said he wasn't interested in the job was Mora Jr, who was promised the job in Seattle and Spags, which the feelings could have been mutual.

Rick Snider:

"Snyder clearly is working on Zorn’s successor."

"Clearly, Snyder hasn’t grown as an owner over 10 years."

Why do authors use the word "clearly" when they speculate about things that are anything but clear? Do they think readers are universally intimidated by the pretense of an author's certainty?

Shanahan,cower and holmgren...big enough names for snyder,and proven winners. 2 of those guys left the game on their own.Two of those guys have stated interest in coaching here.

Shanahan is suposedly close with snyder and vinnie. Has a few former players,run the zone blocking scheme and wco. My bet is on him since he wasn't one of the 2 who left the game on his own. Zorn just hasn't shown any improvement. Did an ok job with gibbs team,but he was brought here to turn up the juice on offense...and its actually gotten worse.

Why do authors use the word "clearly" when they speculate about things that are anything but clear? Do they think readers are universally intimidated by the pretense of an author's certainty?

Should they not make conclusions? Should the words "thus" and "therefore" be removed from the English language?

Also, he seems to want to repeat the BS that no one else would take the job. Does he honestly think that Fassel wouldn't have jumped at the job? Ron Meeks and Jim Schwartz seemed to still be interested in the job. The only ones that said he wasn't interested in the job was Mora Jr, who was promised the job in Seattle and Spags, which the feelings could have been mutual.

Bullcrap.

Nice revisionist history.

Other than Fassel, no one would take the job. Mooch said no. Cowher said no. Pete Carroll said no. Meeks was interviewed, but withdrew his name and said no after getting pissed about the Zorn hire and Blache promotion. Same thing Jim Caldwell. Spagnolo said no. Jim Mora said no. We tried to get Rex Ryan to come coach early on, but he said he was not interested.

Go back and look at this http://curlyr.blogspot.com/2008/04/chronology-of-new-redskins-head-coach.html

Snyder botched the coaching search and has made this a job only the most desperate want.

I wish the franchise would learn how to start building for the future, instead of this win now mentality. Frankly, I don't blame Zorn for everything. My question is, why are you letting a first time head coach with no track record of any playcalling or head coaching experience call the plays? You won't succeed like that. Reason why Atlanta, Miami and Baltimore finished how they did last season, because they all had veteran playcallers who have been around the league. I think, the WCO can work here, but Zorn was inexperienced at calling it.

People can say what they want, call it a circus if they want. Thing is Zorn has had a little time and he's not getting better, he's getting worse. So yea who really cares what Snyder does this year because there isn't anything he can do that would bring more wins, so if he was to let Zorn know he's on the hotseat by hiring bingo called then that's that~ If Zorn still continues to trip over his own forehead and he gets canned, then what does it matter.

Undermine Zorn or whatever, we are a bad team heading in a bad direction so its not like we took a winning formula and poop'd on it.

You really expect Zorn to still be here next season now that they've added "another set of eyes" as a 'consultant'?

You really can't see how this undermines Zorn's position, authority and credibility amongst the staff and players?

You'd be happy as an offensive head coach coach to have an offensive consultant installed to 'help you out' to 'make sure you're not missing anything'? You'd feel secure about your job security? You really think Zorn asked for this?

Zorn is damned. You can see how this will be spun. If things continue to slide and we continue to struggle, well it's proof that he can't get it done as a HC, if things turn around and improve, well that's all down to Sherman Lewis, he turned it around for Zorn, because Jim couldn't get it done on his own.

If you really think Zorn will still be here next season as HC you're not an optimist, you're simply in denial.

I would even keep JC around. He may not be great but he has improved (incrementally) from year to year and he would fit in nicely while Zorn grooms his future qb.

If he does that I predict he will lose half of the people going to games and you might actually see a fan revolt.

Should they not make conclusions? Should the words "thus" and "therefore" be removed from the English language?

There is a big difference between "clearly" and "it is clear to me". "Clearly" implies a flavor irrefuteable truth.

Clearly, you have an agenda, therefore ...

Never mind. ;)

:helmet: The Rook

Zorn is still the only person alive who can see a big upside to a deep sinkhole.

With all his upbeat statements anymore, it is a wonder he isn't wearing his rose colored glasses in public. Perhaps he has rose colored contact lenses instead. He has to have something rose colored that he is viewing things thru cause most all of us are seeing things differently.

There is a big difference between "clearly" and "it is clear to me". "Clearly" implies a flavor irrefuteable truth.

Clearly, you have an agenda, therefore ...

Never mind. ;)

:helmet: The Rook

No, not really. Unless by "agenda" you mean that I want to point out that the OldFan has an issue with this particular writer's argument, not with writers as a group using the word "clearly."

interesting... I am probably naive but I just can't believe snyder would be this transparent about a midseason coaching change... it very well may be the case but I think the point of getting a head start on the coaching search during the season is very valid... though I still contend in order for an established coach to come here, snyder is going to have to take at least one of his talons off the throat of this organization...

"Thus" and "therefore" are indeed prefaces to conclusions. Conclusions are those things that we draw from arguments.

"Clearly" is not a conclusion or a preface to a conclusion. It's a claim about a conclusion -- almost always used by authors when the conclusion isn't clear. If it WAS clear, there would be no need to point it out to the reader.

See, now I think Zorn will be around for awhile. After all the press making accusation like this about the SL hire, I can see Snyder saying "**** you guys" and keeping Zorn around just to prove the media wrong. :) :doh:

Yeah, the MEDIA is going to fire Zorn, not Snyder!

What are the odds we'll turn the season around and make a playoff run? This has got to be the earliest time to date for bailing out and start talking about next season yet. Some fans give the term fickle a whole new meaning.

Anything is possible, its the NFL after all! All it takes is a few key injuries to our rival teams and few lucky breaks for us and we could be 9-7 and make the playoffs. But the way I see it right now, 5-11 or 6-10 at best and Zorn will be gone by the end of the year.

Archived