Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: The end of the Zorn era begins

JimmiJo

If this article proves to be accurate -- I would be very sad.

Remember that Zorn was originally hired as an OC --and that's a natural progression from QB coach; IMO, he'd been well-groomed to be tried at combo QBC/OC. I still think it was odd to select an OC before an HC, but Snyder must have been impressed by Zorn, his resume, coming out of the respected Holmgren cradle of coaching, interviewing, etc.

However, I think Synder elevated Zorn to HC because Snyder couldn't find a willing HC he liked better than Zorn. And he did like Zorn -- Jm's the got the goods to be the cerebral 21st century coach that Dan envisions for guiding his team.

Zorn seemed very marketable, and capable of coping well with the media, even during tough times. He'd be a good voice of the Skins too. Zorn is a great interview, an intelligent analyst, and heck, he would even be a great TV commentator.

So, Snyder may have thought ... why not offer Zorn the HC slot, instead of bringing in the crusty 'old-school' type like Fassel or Schottenheimer? (I still think how Marty ticked off Snyder on so many levels, could have influences Dan's choice because Zorn's very personable.)

However, I also think it was bold of Zorn to step up and basically put his long-term career goals on the line to help Snyder out with the vacancy at HC. Zorn had already staked his future on developing, or agreeing to use a QB, that many coaches were balking at. One doesn't get that many chances at HC, and how many would want to rely on Campbell as their vehicle into the "established HC ranks?" If Campbell should tank, then Zorn turns into Linehan -- or worse.

For whatever reason, Zorn was willing to gamble for a lot more than what he originally signed on for as the Skins OC. It's possible that he did so, because Snyder got himself in a bind finding an HC who'd take pre-selected OCs, DCs, coaching staff, and ...JC. Zorn stepped up, and put it on the line. Hopefully, Snyder takes that into account, because no one was going to look good under those conditions.

Personally, frankly (clearly) I think Zorn was a good hire at QB coach and OC. I also think Snyder may have lucked into Zorn being a good HC as well -- and one who is going to get so much better, given time to improve things.

... So Mr. Snyder, how about giving Zorn more time-- and how about also giving him a QB who Zorn doesn't have to 'dial down' everything for? Let Zorn innovate -- through the vehicle of his own choice, and give him a fair amount of time to do so.

Gosh -- that last paragraph WAS more frank than usual. I hope I'm not too badly mauled when the Campbell supporters :mad::mad::kungfu::mad::mad:... say... "Arrgh, let loose the 'dogs of war'!

Gulp! Gotta scoot. ...:movefast: :hammer::blahblah: . .(Me later) =>... :handicap:

If no one wants to coach the Redskins then the league is full of idiots. You've got an owner who will pay for any player you ask for.

Are there any offensive coaches out there who aren't WCO coaches? Because really we aren't built for that.

I have a very bad feeling that in the end Zorn will be the one to quit and Snyder will be left without anyone even wanting to coach the Redskins. To be honest, if I were the coach that's exactly what I would do. I'd quit and leave Snyder in a terrible position.

Am not sure that Zorn would look like much of a leader, wouldn't the message there be if the going gets hot I run out of the kitchen. Doesn't seem very leader like.

If Zorn truly is on the hot seat and IMO he likely is, I think he's been fairly composed and classy in the last couple of weeks. And I am not a big Zorn guy at all, far from it.

Zorn is the brainchild of Cerrato and Snyder, I believe Zorn was never qualified to be a HC, yet here we are trying to piece meal this thing back together again after the obvious outcome we all knew would happen.

Lots of money with little or no knowledge and little or no heart from the owner spells failure every time. I wish Zorn the best in his future endeavors

I have a lot more respect for him than anyone else in this organization.

Archived