Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QBs of the Redskins, leading UP TO their Super Bowls

FunBunch7

Personally, I don't believe JC is the answer here...but in an attempt to grasp at straws, let's look at the history of our other "Three" QBs that have won Super Bowls...

Joe Theismann...He was the starter for a number of years before winning SB 17. He never had HUGE numbers until the 83/84 season when he guided an amzing offense but it was more of a ground attack. He also played at a time when there was no free agency. It's VERY likley that had free agency existed, that the Skins would have dumped him and gotten another QB in here.

Doug Williams...we need toforget for a moment that he guided the best single quarter in sports history in SB 22. The facts are that he was out of work and Gibbs hand picked him to come here and serve as backup to a then up and coming Jay Schroeder. Remember that in 1986, Jay set a Redskins passing mark of 4,109 yards that still stands today...Jay was also 16-5 in the regualr season and 2-1 in the playoffs GOIN INTO 1987. Dougs "role" was to simply be the veteran backup that Gibbs always had/wanted. There were no other teams line up to sign Doug Williams...

Mark Rypien...Basically a "homegrown" QB...we drafted him...he was #3 on the depth chart in SB 22...he only got his chance due to Doug Williams getting hurt then never coming back to form. 1988 we were defending SB Champs and the season was a disaster when Ryp' played...1989 was decent alhtough we missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record...1990...was another 10-6 years but Ryp' had "The Posse"...Monk, Clark and Sanders each had 1,000 yds recieving...there were "signs" that things were going to be really good, but our down fall in 89' and 90' was the play at the QB position.

When we look at JC...you can kind of see ALL 3 of our SB Quarterbacks in him...ex:...Joey T...if not for a lack of free agency he certainly would not have lasted...Doug...there weren't people standing in line to sign him and there certainly wouldn't be to sign Jason...Rypien...there HAVE been "flashes" out of Jason...not alot but a few...rocket arm..."home grown"...we drafted him and he has been here a number of years and started out as #3 on the depth chart and worked his way up mainly due to few other options...

But bottom line...I wish that the Skins would trade JC to Arizona for Leinart...or to Cleveland for Quinn...but as long as JC is here...well, ya know... Go Jason!

I just wish they had let him play, really play, for a season and see if he stops making dumb mistakes.

Remember Schroeder was an INT machine but he still won because we had great players. Rypien started out the same way but got much better. We played to score a lot of points. Not this team now. We play to lose.

At this point, because of coaches/owner, JC is never going to get past scared rookie mode. Not that I think he can be great, he's just never going to get a chance due to win now at all costs management.

I just wish they had let him play, really play, for a season and see if he stops making dumb mistakes.

Remember Schroeder was an INT machine but he still won because we had great players. Rypien started out the same way but got much better. We played to score a lot of points. Not this team now. We play to lose.

At this point, because of coaches/owner, JC is never going to get past scared rookie mode. Not that I think he can be great, he's just never going to get a chance due to win now at all costs management.

I agree. It would certianly help if he had "The Posse" or "The Smurfs" to throw to...well, he does have one Smurf (Moss).

None of our Super Bowl QBs were GREAT...they were surrounded by GREAT players on BOTH sides of the ball.

You don't really need a GREAT QB...but it sure would be nice to have one for a change!!!

The whole thing baffles me. He draws all these comparisons to our Super Bowl QBs, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, and then says he wants to trade for Quinn???

no comprende senor

As the OP, I wasn't suggesting that Quinn is by any means The Answer...but in this market of free agency, salary caps and such, a "Quinn" or "Leinart" type player would be the only "fair" comodity IF a trade were to be worked out. (quarterback for quarterback)

We are not BOUND by the rules that were in place back in the days of Joey T, Doug and Ryp'...if we were the ONLY way to fix things would be to "wait it out" until JC comes around or until we get more pieces around him...or to draft a young dude and wait even longer.

But the reality for now is that JC IS our QB...and until the 82' season Joey T had ZERO playoff wins...Doug Williams had ZERO playoff wins "for us" until 87'...and Ryp' had only 1 playoff win (in 1990) unitl the 91' season.

For some odd reason...our QBs seem to come out of no where and put it all together...do I think this will happen with JC? Nope...but I can still hope and grasp at straws.

The Skins were succesful back then for 2 reasons.

A competent front office and their offensive and defensive lines were always up to par.

This team has had what 6 coaches in the last 8 seasons? It looks like another coach is on the horizon soon. JC walked into a mess but is getting the blame.

Rypien benefited from sitting on the bench a few years. The Skins 91 Championship team had the best offensive line of all time IMO. The Skins as a team had to be a top 5 rushing team. Then they only gave up 9 sacks all year including the playoffs. Thats crazy. Rypien was immobile as they come. He was a good QB that played behind the greatest line of all time and had 3 1000 yard WR to boot.

JC has a under average line, incompetent front office, under average WR's, and an unstable organization. The way the Skins were run back then, and how their run now are just laughable. I miss the days of a front office that knew what they were doing.

Also some on this thread are putting Matt Leinart's name out there like he's good. Man please. That cat has Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston and he still can't throw. Please.

As the OP, I wasn't suggesting that Quinn is by any means The Answer...but in this market of free agency, salary caps and such, a "Quinn" or "Leinart" type player would be the only "fair" comodity IF a trade were to be worked out. (quarterback for quarterback)

We are not BOUND by the rules that were in place back in the days of Joey T, Doug and Ryp'...if we were the ONLY way to fix things would be to "wait it out" until JC comes around or until we get more pieces around him...or to draft a young dude and wait even longer.

But the reality for now is that JC IS our QB...and until the 82' season Joey T had ZERO playoff wins...Doug Williams had ZERO playoff wins "for us" until 87'...and Ryp' had only 1 playoff win (in 1990) unitl the 91' season.

For some odd reason...our QBs seem to come out of no where and put it all together...do I think this will happen with JC? Nope...but I can still hope and grasp at straws.

Ok makes more sense now.:)

Nice post OP, but I look at what you said and think "what would have done if we had a HOF QB leading the team during Gibbs years?"

I have thought this MANY times!!!

During the 80's the 49ers had Montana and won 4 SBs...from 82-91 we went to 4 SBs winning 3 of them...with 3 different QBs and 3 different starting RBs...this is really a testimony to the greatness of Gibbs during that time.

Imagine if we had...say...Elway or Marino...1984, 1985, 1988...could have looked ALOT different!!!!

But bottom line...I wish that the Skins would trade JC to Arizona for Leinart...or to Cleveland for Quinn...but as long as JC is here...well, ya know... Go Jason!

You were doing so well before this.

Leinart couldn't win in WIDE RECEIVER HEAVEN.

Brady Quinn.....dude.....Brady Quinn.....come on. He's an inaccurate Chad Pennington.

You were doing so well before this.

Leinart couldn't win in WIDE RECEIVER HEAVEN.

Brady Quinn.....dude.....Brady Quinn.....come on. He's an inaccurate Chad Pennington.

Please don't think I have this love affair with either Leinart or Quinn...

But I would LOVE to see what either guy could do if given a season or two...I was at the game in Arizona when Leinart carved up the Bears defense on that monday nighter when Dennis Green flipped his lid in the "They are who we thought they were!" game...Leinart was YOUNG and that team in Arizona was STILL in the works...he had a great pre-season and if Warner goes down, I still think the Cards will win that division.

Quinn has had what 5 starts in the NFL...all on a team as dysfunctional as ours...just the AFC's version...lol

We have all read the "Jason Campbell" book...it's about as exciting as it's gonna get.

Would I like Peyton Manning here? Sure! The point I was trying to make is trying to compare similar situations where a deal "might" be able to be made...instead of just releasing Jason Campbell and starting from scratch.

Mark Rypien...Basically a "homegrown" QB...we drafted him...he was #3 on the depth chart in SB 22...he only got his chance due to Doug Williams getting hurt then never coming back to form. 1988 we were defending SB Champs and the season was a disaster when Ryp' played...1989 was decent alhtough we missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record...1990...was another 10-6 years but Ryp' had "The Posse"...Monk, Clark and Sanders each had 1,000 yds recieving...there were "signs" that things were going to be really good, but our down fall in 89' and 90' was the play at the QB position.

This was actually the '89 season.

This was actually the '89 season.

Correct.

I actually remember this season vividly...who could forget Gerald Riggs 200+ yard game only to fumble it away vs Philly week 2...then ofcourse we lost to Dallas on sunday night, their only win of the year...we were actually 5-6 after 11 games before going on a 5 game win streak ending the season beating Seattle 29-0 but still missing the playoffs.

Two Words

JOE GIBBS

I Know Gibbs 2 didnt work out but if you look at our teams when he returned they were fun to watch I mean even when we had bad seasons thier were memorable moments like that win in Dallas when we blocked the field goal and taylor returned it so we could kick the winning field goal. I know gibbs never got us that Super Bowl ring but damn his teams were fun to watch. With Zorn as coach this team is not always fun to watch its very depressing. I had faith in Gibbs as our coach, I do not have faith in Zorn and the sad thing is its not his fault, Joe gibbs did the best we will ever see as long as snyder is this teams owner, sad but true.

The whole thing baffles me. He draws all these comparisons to our Super Bowl QBs, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, and then says he wants to trade for Quinn???

no comprende senor

You make it sound like adding Brady Quinn as the starting QB would be a bad thing. Seriously....no BS here...how would it be a bad thing by sending Campbell to the Browns for Quinn? How? Oh, are you worried that the Skins wouldn't be able to maintain their 14 points per game scoring average if Quinn were the QB?

What exactly was the deal with Rypien? Like how good was he really? I was 7-9 years old when he was doing his thing and I used to think he was amazing. Did he just luck out on a super talented team? Or was he super talented himself and then just slipped away due to personal problems?

Archived