Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Denvers Pitt Bull Ban- OP Edit

Koolblue13

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I DO know what an American pit looks like.

Did you click on the link I sent... Find The Pitbull.... Only one of the dogs was an American Pitbull Terrier. Try it. I really hope you learn something about the dog. They are not for everyone but are the best dog to own for those with the right attitude.

I don't think it's the terrier alone that makes it more aggressive. I think it's the DNA ****tail of both breeds that make it more aggressive.
(From ACF) There is no scientific proof that Pit Bull’s, or any other breed of dog is dangerous. The Foundation's collective experience and research has found the American Pit Bull Terrier is a "terrier." All terriers have animal prey

drive, but this does not make them dangerous or vicious. The Pit Bull type dog comes from Europe and evolved from some Mastiff based breed such as with some Bulldog blood either in a pure form or to a variation of any of the many terrier and hound groups beginning with the now extinct Black and Tans Terriers and Olde English White Terriers. English and Irish immigrants imported the dogs. Unfortunately, it was discovered in the late 1800's that if trained, the dogs could be used in the inhumane sport of dog fighting. Due to federal laws passed in the 1970's prohibiting dog

fighting fewer dogs are now trained for the illegal sport.

That is Not True. You are making an assumption. Most owners are responsible dog owners. Again with the ignorance. It's sad to see. Tens of Thousands of people own APBT's with no problems.

AND YOU DID NOT READ WHAT I SAID. Pitbull is a slang term used to describe NUMEROUS dogs. YET the American Pitbull Terrier gets the blame.

If Pitbull is a slang term, why do so many people/breeders including the AKC use the term?

What is the all-important reason that pit bulls need to be bred in the future?

There isn't, except that they are generally very good dogs.

The breeding of any dog is a completely different point and IMO, NO dog should be bred for the next 5 years and then major oversight needs to be done and only a few breeders should be allowed to continue.

Puppy Mills should be closed today. Stores that sell dogs, should be closed.

Backyard breeders should all be stopped as well.

None of that is breed specific to me.

Did you click on the link I sent... Find The Pitbull.... Only one of the dogs was an American Pitbull Terrier. Try it. I really hope you learn something about the dog. They are not for everyone but are the best dog to own for those with the right attitude........................... and without kids.

Please list all things that you do as a Pit owner to prevent your Pit from attacking.

If Pitbull is a slang term, why do so many people/breeders including the AKC use the term?

Good question. One that should be addressed to the AKC if what you say is true. The official dog registry for the American Pitbull Terrier is the American Dog Breeders Association and they use the term "American Pitbull Terrier".

Good question. One that should be addressed to the AKC if what you say is true. The official dog registry for the American Pitbull Terrier is the American Dog Breeders Association and they use the term "American Pitbull Terrier".

Do you do everything on this list?

1. Thou shalt NEVER trust thy Pit Bull not to fight

2.Thou shalt contain thy Pit Bull securely when not supervised by an adult

3.Thou shalt NEVER leave thy adult Pit Bull alone and unsupervised with another dog

4.Thou SHALT attend obedience classes most faithfully with thy Pit Bull

5.Thou SHALT keep thy Pit Bull socialized with ALL KINDS of people

6. Thy Pit Bull wilt NEVER be allowed off-leash in a public place

7.Thy Pit Bull wilt NEVER be allowed to roam free in thy neighborhood, EVER!

8.Thou SHALT take thy well trained Pit Bull out in public and show him/her off - on leash for good breed PR!

9. Thy Pit Bull shalt go forth into the world as an ambassador of the pit bull breed

10. THOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY WRONG DONE BY THY DOGS!

if you do, what percentage of Pit owners in the USA follow this list religously like some pit owners on this board?

LJS, I have no problem with you and how you raise your pits, I know we both agree that following the 10 commandments of owning a Pit is the only way to own one.

yes- I completely agree they need to follow those rules. Anything outside of that is just pure irresponsibility.

I will also say for the record, I had no intention of getitng a Pit before I had my dog. I was very anti pit bull. My dog was a street dog, no tags and about 6 months old. After a week of her hanging around the Juvie detention center a probation officer buddy took her home. She couldn't keep the dog, so I reluctantly agreed to take her. and the road of pitbull ownership hasn't been an easy one for me, just gotta keep up on discipline and obedience. But I wouldn't trade her for anything. When I start to think about the fact that I only have a few more years left with her, it breaks my heart. She has been a great dog for me.

Did you click on the link I sent... Find The Pitbull.... Only one of the dogs was an American Pitbull Terrier. Try it. I really hope you learn something about the dog. They are not for everyone but are the best dog to own for those with the right attitude.

If I had to chose one, I'd say 7.

Please list all things that you do as a Pit owner to prevent your Pit from attacking.

First I researched the dog and it's history and made sure I understood what I was getting.

I do what EVERY DOG owner should do. Not just APBT owner. As a puppy I socialized them with every type of animal and person I could. Took them to stores that allowed dog access like Petsmart etc... Always had them around people (children especially) so they would feel comfortable being around crowded settings.

Also I pet them in every area of their body. From the tail to the tounge. Inside of the toes, belly, everything. This way it is not strange for them to be touched anywhere.

Show Lots of Love to them!!!!

Whenever they would bite as pups I would pluck their nose and let them know it was not ok. Also I spend lots of time training them so they have a structured environment. This is especially important for APBT's or any bully breed because they are a "working breed". (Meaning they want a job. Whatever you train them for, they will far exceed your expectations)

***ALSO NO DOG OWNER SHOULD LEAVE THEIR PET UNSUPERVISED WITH CHILDREN OR OTHER ANIMALS*** period. There is no getting around that.

Many Police Officer use American Pitbull Terriers. Check out this website

http://www.lawdogsusa.org/

If I had to chose one, I'd say 7.

Click on the 7th picture sir.... It will tell you what you have chosen. Number 7 is called a Dogo Argentino... A dog that often gets confused for an APBT but is NOT and has a completely different temperment.

I'm sure the NEWS would call it a Pitbull also. But it is not.

This thread is going to be an absolute **** show. :hysterical:. Not getting involved this time but to say -

1) I think the ban is unnecessary.

2) I think there should be regulations on any dog who is over 30 pounds such as mandatory training or a license. I am 100% for regulations, just not banning.

3) Pit Bull owners who are irresponsible should have their dogs taken away from them. Violent dogs who can't show rehabilitation should be put down.

4) I crunched numbers in the another thread. Something like .00001% of all Pit Bulls are responsible for these incidents (millions of pit bulls in the country - less than a dozen of incidents per year). Those incidents are horrible and there needs to be a way to correct the problem, I just don't think the ban is the answer.

5) My dog (not a Pit Bull, but a mix of Pit/Border Collie) was attacked by a chow-German Shepard mix 3 weeks ago. Took a bite right out of his back. My dog did not fight back, and instead ran inside my house as fast as he could. I was at the dog park by my house 2 days ago and saw a German Shepard attack another dog pretty badly (no blood, but a lot of screaming). If I acted like some people in this thread I would be lobbying to have German Shepards destroyed, instead I realize it was the result of bad owners not the bread.

I am out! This is going to get crazy. :hysterical:

Click on the 7th picture sir.... It will tell you what you have chosen. Number 7 is called a Dogo Argentino... A dog that often gets confused for an APBT but is NOT and has a completely different temperment.

I'm sure the NEWS would call it a Pitbull also. But it is not.

To be fair, the news is more likely to get it right after they speak to the owner or expert to confirm it. Also, that picture gallerie was to trick people. 16 doesn't look like the pitbulls that we usually see.

In 34 death cases in 1989 to 1990, 10 cases were caused by Nordic breeds like the Husky, Samoyed or Malamute, 10 further cases were caused by Pit Bull type (mix) dogs uncertain of positive identification. Seven deaths were caused by German Shepherds, 3 by Dobermans, 1 by a Rottweiler, and 4 by other breeds.

To claim one breed is more responsible for human fatalities is impossible.

Some would chose to single out the Pit Bull , due to the fact there are

estimated statistics and the type of dogs that resemble the Pit Bull are

such a wide variety that we find Amercian Bulldogs, Boxers, and Mastiff's

labeled as Pit Bulls. It is impossible to compare different breeds of dogs

versus human fatalities.

The Washington Animal Foundation did a survey on human fatalities by dogs in 2001 and came up with these figures, Rottweiler (6); Labrador (2);

Pomeranian (1); German Shepherd (2); Chow (1); Wolf-Hybrid (1); Akita (1); Doberman (1); Beagle (1); Presa Canario (2); Pit Bull (1); mixed breeds (6). When comparing these figures with the human fatalities from 1975-80 by Pickney & Kennedy, Traumatic Deaths from Dog Attacks in the United States, the report identified the following as responsible for human fatalities during the study period from May, 1975 to April, 1980: German Shepherd (16); Husky (9); St. Bernard (8); Bull Terrier (6); Great Dane (6); Malamute(5); Golden Retriever (3); Boxer (2); Dachshund (2); Doberman Pinscher (2); Collie (2); Rottweiler(1); Basenji (1); Chow-Chow (1); Labrador Retriever (1); Yorkshire Terrier (1); mixed and unknown breeds (15). One would question the accuracy of human fatalities by dogs from current reports and especially the statistics on the Pit Bull. When looked at from a more realistic point of view one would find Shepherds and other working dogs rate higher in fatalities. However, given the increasing population of dog breeds at any given time, it is impossible to compare one breed to another.

Nice effect,

You say "nice effect", then post pictures of mauled children?? lol, nice try.

It's sad that those children were hurt, but at least they're alive to heal from their injuries. Koolblue's picture had a PILE of DEAD dogs. Dead....as in they're not coming back. Not gettin' a chance to heal. Not getting off that pile that they were so carelessly thrown on. They're dead.

So you take that as your cue to one-up the OP on shock value, and post pictures of children who may, or may not have been attacked by pitbulls?

Classy.

What is the all-important reason that pit bulls need to be bred in the future?

Companionship and their general right to be here on this planet as well as us?

I mean lots of dogs used to have, or do have the ability to perform certain tasks like rescue, sniffing bombs/drugs, herding, etc etc. But we don't NEED them to be bred in the future....we COULD get along without them.

So really, this question can be asked for any breed. And the answer would largely be the same......general right to be here and their companionship value.

Someone else was right - "Pit Bull" gets used on so many different types of dogs from the media that I really have no clue how you can determine for sure that it is a true APBT, a mix, or something different based on the stories I read.

I have a feeling a lot of them are mutts that get labeled "pit bulls" because it seems like 75% of the dog owners I see with mixes have some sort of pit bull mix.

Someone else was right - "Pit Bull" gets used on so many different types of dogs from the media that I really have no clue how you can determine for sure that it is a true APBT, a mix, or something different based on the stories I read.

I have a feeling a lot of them are mutts that get labeled "pit bulls" because it seems like 75% of the dog owners I see with mixes have some sort of pit bull mix.

Which is the problem with the ban.

Which is the problem with the ban.

I agree. I'm with you completely and wish the Government would figure out a way to regulate the breeding of animals like dogs. It's really heartbreaking to see all the dogs that come from puppy mills or bad breeding and the conditions that can come from that. Even responsible breeding can results in some issues but it's ridiculous how many dogs are killed in this country.

You'd think someone in the government would notice.

Archived