Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Denvers Pitt Bull Ban- OP Edit

Koolblue13

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Edit- I was trying to get peoples opinions about this ban, not about the breed. If you had a registered Pit, they would come to your home and take it. If the dog was in question, it was killed. People tried to move and were unsuccessful. There was an underground railroad of sorts, set up for people to try and save the lives of their dogs. This, IMO, is bull**** and brutal. There was a massacre of dogs. If the DNA of your dog had any terrier, it was killed.

I just wanted the opinion on this type of Law or an alternative. If you want to argue that Pits are dangerous, I will agree that any dog can be, including Pits. If you are not a fact fan and only want to go on rumor and fear, good for you. That's very helpful.

It's widely known as the toughest in the nation. Sad that a breed of dog can be blamed for the lack of accountability of people.

http://www.westword.com/2009-09-24/news/for-two-decades-pit-bulls-have-been-public-enemy-1-in-denver-but-maybe-it-s-time-for-a-recount

After all, they ask, is there any evidence that Denver's pit bull ban has worked? After twenty years, several expensive court challenges (one ongoing), hundreds of thousands in enforcement costs, an estimated 3,497 pit bulls put to death and over 5,000 dog owners ticketed, are Denver residents any safer from dog bites and attacks than people living in cities without pit bull bans?

Denver Animal Care and Control head Doug Kelley has testified in support of the ban in the past. But in recent years, his assessment has grown more measured. "Has it worked? I'm not sure if we can answer that question," he says. "What we do know is that, since the ordinance was put into effect, we haven't had a severe mauling or fatality from a pit bull in Denver."

PitbullHead.jpg

WTF is wrong with us as a society?

It's such a shame they have developed such a bad reputation because of people abusing them and using them for bad purposes instead of just having them as a pet. They can be such excellent dogs.

Cue the debate over pit bull ownership, and likening them to owning bears, etc. Yes, they are very powerful animals. Yes, if they attack someone they will do more damage than a chihuahua, though chihuahuas are much more likely to bite someone. But there are numerous other breeds of very large dogs that can maim and kill if they attack too. Should we ban and murder all of these dogs just out of fear?

IMO, it's the animal world equivalent of looking at which demographics are most likely to commit crimes and locking all of those people away just to try to prevent these crimes.

If the dog is illegal then don't have it. period. That is the law, just like here in P.G. County. You cant own a pitt bull. I think it is a good law, they are aggressive dogs. You say WTF is wrong with us as a society? about this. I say WTF is wrong with us as a society? about breaking laws.

If the dog is illegal then don't have it. period. That is the law, just like here in P.G. County. You cant own a pitt bull. I think it is a good law, they are aggressive dogs. You say WTF is wrong with us as a society? about this. I say WTF is wrong with us as a society? about breaking laws.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/Pitbullsdead2.jpg

That is why I say wtf is wrong with us as a society. We murder 3 to 4 million dogs a year. That is a problem.

ALL dogs have the potential to attack someone, and many other breeds do so much more frequently than pit bulls.

Yes they are very powerful dogs. Yes they do a lot of damage when they attack.

But so do the many other breeds of dogs that are large and powerful. It is simply a matter of bad reputation that has caused our society's vendetta against this particular breed.

Like many other breeds, they can be wonderful pets. Some people just won't see that though.

ALL dogs have the potential to attack someone, and many other breeds do so much more frequently than pit bulls.

Yes they are very powerful dogs. Yes they do a lot of damage when they attack.

But so do the many other breeds of dogs that are large and powerful. It is simply a matter of bad reputation that has caused our society's vendetta against this particular breed.

Like many other breeds, they can be wonderful pets. Some people just won't see that though.

BS. I understand that all dogs are CAPABLE of attacks, but it's in the pitbulls DNA that makes it a little different.

BS. I understand that all dogs are CAPABLE of attacks, but it's in the pitbulls DNA that makes it a little different.

It's not "in their DNA." You have no idea what you're talking about.

If you look at statistics of temperament tests of dogs, pit bulls are nowhere near the bottom of the list. They score better on temperament tests than many other typical "family friendly" breeds. They score higher than golden retrievers.

So, it's the terrier that's breed into them, that causes them to attack.

Do you feel we should kill all the terriers as well?

I don't think it's the terrier alone that makes it more aggressive. I think it's the DNA ****tail of both breeds that make it more aggressive.

It's not "in their DNA." You have no idea what you're talking about.

If you look at statistics of temperament tests of dogs, pit bulls are nowhere near the bottom of the list. They score better on temperament tests than many other typical "family friendly" breeds. They score higher than golden retrievers.

You're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. I don't hear to many stories of golden retrievers mauling their owners. And I'm pretty certain their more golden retriever owners than there are pitbull owners.

It's a pile of dead dogs.

Nice effect,

5-year-old-attack.gif

jadyn-1-attack.gif

Denver hasn't had any of these since the ban, so I would say it's been a success. We have been through this 100 times. I will stick with my same argument. Pit Bulls have a tendancy to get pissed off and attack, if the owners do not take the responsibility to put up a fence that a pit can't easily jump(6 to 8 foot), never let the dog off the leash, keep it away from other dogs, not let children play with them unsupervised, never put on a run, the list goes on.

We would have a lot less problems with Pits, however to many idiots own a very dangerous breed and do not live by the 10 Commandments of owning a Pit Bull, therefore unless you can prove you are responsible like some owners on this site, they should be banned.

Archived