Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Denvers Pitt Bull Ban- OP Edit

Koolblue13

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Did you click on the link I sent... Find The Pitbull.... Only one of the dogs was an American Pitbull Terrier. Try it. I really hope you learn something about the dog. They are not for everyone but are the best dog to own for those with the right attitude.

It was funny... I saw a picture of this dog in there and laughed and said how could anyone think that was a Pit... Of course that was it. lol... Shows I am not up on what a Pit really is.

To be fair, the news is more likely to get it right after they speak to the owner or expert to confirm it. Also, that picture gallerie was to trick people. 16 doesn't look like the pitbulls that we usually see.

What pitbulls do "we" usually see? Do you own one or know a responsible owner or do "WE" usually see what the media shows us?

Like I said you have to learn the breed. I know personally that the news can get it wrong. My EX-girlfriend was bitten by a German Shepard when she was a teenager. It looked nothing like a "Pitbull". Took out a piece of her tricep. The news referred to the dog as a "pitbull". WHILE I UNDERSTAND your point. The fact remains that the media is biased against APBT's in most cases.

Thanks for discussing the actual topic of the thread and bringing an educated pov to the conversation.

See ya.

Yea, I went back and forth for like 30 pages in the last thread on this similar topic. It just became a lot yelling, and a lot of the arguments were not based on any statistics but just emotional experiences. I will follow this one, but won't get to involved in the craziness. Good luck!

Yea, I went back and forth for like 30 pages in the last thread on this similar topic. It just became a lot yelling, and a lot of the arguments were not based on any statistics but just emotional experiences. I will follow this one, but won't get to involved in the craziness. Good luck!

Thanks. OLS. I have to go teach my niece how to ride a bike in a bit, so I'll have to wait until later to see how bad this one gets.

If only everybody would use FACTS to back up their opinions.

First I researched the dog and it's history and made sure I understood what I was getting.

I do what EVERY DOG owner should do. Not just APBT owner. As a puppy I socialized them with every type of animal and person I could. Took them to stores that allowed dog access like Petsmart etc... Always had them around people (children especially) so they would feel comfortable being around crowded settings.

Also I pet them in every area of their body.:doh: :laugh: From the tail to the tounge. Inside of the toes, belly, everything. :laugh: This way it is not strange for them to be touched anywhere. :doh:

Show Lots of Love to them!!!!

Whenever they would bite as pups I would pluck their nose and let them know it was not ok. Also I spend lots of time training them so they have a structured environment. This is especially important for APBT's or any bully breed because they are a "working breed". (Meaning they want a job. Whatever you train them for, they will far exceed your expectations)

***ALSO NO DOG OWNER SHOULD LEAVE THEIR PET UNSUPERVISED WITH CHILDREN OR OTHER ANIMALS*** period. There is no getting around that.

Many Police Officer use American Pitbull Terriers. Check out this website

http://www.lawdogsusa.org/

Ummmm, wouldn't an American Pitbull Terrier be classified as a terrier??

To be fair, the news is more likely to get it right after they speak to the owner or expert to confirm it. Also, that picture gallerie was to trick people. 16 doesn't look like the pitbulls that we usually see.

That's because it was a puppy all of the Pit look a like dogs such as the corso and staffordshire were all adults. The first dog is a boxer except how many white boxers do you see? You don't because most boxer breeders put white puppies down because they are bad for the blood line and they usually don't live that long. I enjoyed that game and got the pit on my 3rd try.

It's ignorant to defend Pits when the majority of the Pits are owned by completely irresponsible douche bags.

I'm usually not one to stereotype, but I tend to agree with this.

The Pit Bull is a dog that represents strength and ferocity, no matter how each individual defines them - that is the consensus. They're right there at the top of the ladder when it comes to bad-assness in dogs.

But they're different than German Shepherds, Akitas, what have you...because they have a reputation as both a criminal and cage fighter.

Low-lifes gravitate towards that; they WANT THAT DOG. A dog that represents what kind of person they are. Its popularity among idiots takes any spotlight away from non-idiot pit bull owners.

I'd honestly like to see a nationwide effort to limit idiots to only certain animals. Anything stupid on your record and you can't have a pit. Sorry, but irresponsibility is the first step to getting rid of incidents involving big scary dogs.

It's like they're trying to fix a leak in the roof by starting in the basement. How long until we hear about a Rottweiler attack in Denver?

No he's desperately trying to justify his prejudice. Like when racists try to argue that tests have shown African Americans are less intelligent. Same sort of deal.
ok, this is absolutely ridiculous.

you are going to compare a breed of dog that is known to be violent and aggressive by nature to the civil rights movement. why don't you take a timeout and think for a second about how absolutely ridiculous that sentiment is.

Aren't pit bulls repsonsible for more violent attacks than any other breed? I think it's a great idea to ban them and let people pick from the 149 other registered breeds of dogs. Boo hoo hoo, you can't have a pit bull. You're now stuck with only 149 choices instead of 150.

you are going to compare a breed of dog that is known to be violent and aggressive by nature to the civil rights movement. why don't you take a timeout and think for a second about how absolutely ridiculous that sentiment is.

I believe they were just saying the logic behind the arguments.

Example:

Japanese children score higher on tests than American children. Therefore, Japanese people are more intelligent than American people. By saying that you are ignoring the plethora of factors that have lead to the difference in test scores.

Pit bulls account for more fatal dog attacks than any other breed. Therefore, pit bulls should be removed. It has nothing to do with the media/cultural bias, mislabeling breeds in attacks, dog fighting breeders, or the large amount of people who desire this breed because of its media fueled reputation, it's solely the breed. :doh:

Do you think that if every single pit bull on the planet magically disappeared that dog fighters wouldn't just start using Rottweilers as the standard fighting dog? Then, of course, they would become that breed, we would see a rise in Rottweiler ownership and attacks, and people would scream to ban them.

I will never understand people who want to ban Pits.

I'm usually not one to stereotype, but I tend to agree with this.

The Pit Bull is a dog that represents strength and ferocity, no matter how each individual defines them - that is the consensus. They're right there at the top of the ladder when it comes to bad-assness in dogs.

But they're different than German Shepherds, Akitas, what have you...because they have a reputation as both a criminal and cage fighter.

Low-lifes gravitate towards that; they WANT THAT DOG. A dog that represents what kind of person they are. Its popularity among idiots takes any spotlight away from non-idiot pit bull owners.

I'd honestly like to see a nationwide effort to limit idiots to only certain animals. Anything stupid on your record and you can't have a pit. Sorry, but irresponsibility is the first step to getting rid of incidents involving big scary dogs.

It's like they're trying to fix a leak in the roof by starting in the basement. How long until we hear about a Rottweiler attack in Denver?

Your point is well taken that "Pitbulls" have a bad reputation. But the question is should they ALL BE BANNED. (Breed Specific Legislation)The truth of the matter is that law abiding average Americans FAR OUTWEIGH the criminals who own this breed. That is a FACT.

While it is quite obvious that there is a problem in some communities regarding loose dogs harrassing/attacking people, criminal activity involving the use of dogs, and dog attacks in general, Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) fails to reduce the occurance of these problems because it fails to address the root cause: people. BSL doesn't work because it is purely predjudicial in nature. Instead of punishing owners who are irresponsible and criminals who use dogs for illegal purposes, the legislation targets dogs for simply existing, and people's rights to own the breed of dog they so choose.

BSL is also largely based on misinformation and truth-twisting, its authors citing the "inherent viciousness" of certain dog breeds as plenty reason to outlaw even those dogs that have never acted in a criminal fashion. Bite statistics are also used as justification since "pit bulls" often top such lists.

Of course, no breed is inherently vicious, and the accuracy of bite stats are suspect as best.

Exactly, if every owner is like LJS we wouldn't have issues. I drive through the small city of Hagerstown pretty much everyday, it isn't uncommon to see a 18 year old gangster wanna be with a pit on a chain could be used to hoist a tractor trailer.

What is a gangster wannabe...

It is not rediculous to compare the prejudicial nature of Breed Specific Legislation to the concept of Black Americans in prison. If you agree with the concept of BSL than One could say since 12% of young Black Americans are in prison (A percentage lower than that of APBT bites) than they should be banned and euthanized also.

I think this article give a good way to deal with situations:

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/oct/07/dogs-undergo-marine-test/

BEAUFORT -- Although not the 54-hour test called the Crucible that Marine recruits must pass to join the Corps, dogs from three Marine facilities in South Carolina faced their own assessments Tuesday to see if they may remain among the few and the proud.

Both Vader and Osceola passed, but the friendly pit bull terriers seemed more interested in a group of reporters and their youngest owner, 7-month-old Keeley Drew Smith, than news they may remain with their Marine family.

Osceola and Vader, American pit bull terriers, check out the camera after taking a behavior test Tuesday at Parris Island Marine base housing in Laurel Bay in Beaufort.

The two pets were among more than 100 pit bulls, Rottweilers and canine-wolf mixes owned by Marines at Parris Island, the Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort and the Beaufort Naval Hospital. The dogs were being checked out by experts from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals during two days of assessments.

Aren't pit bulls repsonsible for more violent attacks than any other breed? I think it's a great idea to ban them and let people pick from the 149 other registered breeds of dogs. Boo hoo hoo, you can't have a pit bull. You're now stuck with only 149 choices instead of 150.

Please READ through the intelligent conversation before you interject with ignorance.

First of all EVERYONE Pitbull is a general Slang term used to describe NUMEROUS dogs. All different dogs, with completely DIFFERENT temperments. Yet the only dog that gets the blame is the AMERICAN PITBULL TERRIER. Majority of people could not point out a pitbull if confronted by similar looking dogs. Here, try it.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Only one of these dogs in an American Pitbull Terrier

Dont even take my word for it. Do the research. The American Temperment Test Society specifically tests dogs for temperment with Humans... The American Pitbull Terrier passed at a percentage of 85%.

That's higher than the Sheep Dog

Border Collie

BloodHound

Chihuahua

Collie

GOLDEN RETRIEVER...and many other dogs. There were over 1000 APBT's tested.

http://www.atts.org/stats1.html

Know the facts before you rush to judgements

Do you think that if every single pit bull on the planet magically disappeared that dog fighters wouldn't just start using Rottweilers as the standard fighting dog? Then, of course, they would become that breed, we would see a rise in Rottweiler ownership and attacks, and people would scream to ban them.

I will never understand people who want to ban Pits.

Exactly sir... The question then becomes: "What's next?" And then "What's Next?" Until they come for whatever type of dog the next person owns... It would be too late by that time I suspect.

Your point is well taken that "Pitbulls" have a bad reputation. But the question is should they ALL BE BANNED. (Breed Specific Legislation)The truth of the matter is that law abiding average Americans FAR OUTWEIGH the criminals who own this breed. That is a FACT.

While it is quite obvious that there is a problem in some communities regarding loose dogs harrassing/attacking people, criminal activity involving the use of dogs, and dog attacks in general, Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) fails to reduce the occurance of these problems because it fails to address the root cause: people. BSL doesn't work because it is purely predjudicial in nature. Instead of punishing owners who are irresponsible and criminals who use dogs for illegal purposes, the legislation targets dogs for simply existing, and people's rights to own the breed of dog they so choose.

BSL is also largely based on misinformation and truth-twisting, its authors citing the "inherent viciousness" of certain dog breeds as plenty reason to outlaw even those dogs that have never acted in a criminal fashion. Bite statistics are also used as justification since "pit bulls" often top such lists.

Of course, no breed is inherently vicious, and the accuracy of bite stats are suspect as best.

:laugh: That's great information and all, but I'm wondering if you read my post past the first few sentences. I preached close to the same thing as you are. It doesn't take a heiroglyphics decoder to realize that no, I don't think they should be banned.

The only thing I'd like to point out to you is that for every, say, 100 good pit owners, it only takes one dumbass to ruin their reputation. It's happened, and on a national scale. To reiterate what I said, there should be rules in place for people that want to own certain animals with a build that enables them to rip peoples' faces off. For starters, anything on your record that reflects one as being irresponsible should prevent them from owning a big dog. That's right, only schnoodles for those *******s.

What is a gangster wannabe...

Prove your fact, because I disagree with you and I bet you can't prove it. As a matter of fact, I bet you can't prove that 5 percent of Pit owners even come close to living by the Ten Commandments of owning aPit. To me, those are responsible Pit Bull owners and please stop linking all of the Pit bull propaganda stuff because I could link just as much anti pit bull stuff which IMO carries more weight.

I think the thread is called "Gangsta Fail" look it up, I can't use the search function at the moment.

:laugh: That's great information and all, but I'm wondering if you read my post past the first few sentences. I preached close to the same thing as you are. It doesn't take a heiroglyphics decoder to realize that no, I don't think they should be banned.

The only thing I'd like to point out to you is that for every, say, 100 good pit owners, it only takes one dumbass to ruin their reputation. It's happened, and on a national scale. To reiterate what I said, there should be rules in place for people that want to own certain animals with a build that enables them to rip peoples' faces off. For starters, anything on your record that reflects one as being irresponsible should prevent them from owning a big dog. That's right, only schnoodles for those *******s.

I read your post. If I misinterpreted it than my apologies. It was probably because you started it out agreeing with this falacy by goskins561

It's ignorant to defend Pits when the majority of the Pits are owned by completely irresponsible douche bags.

A common myth that should be disspelled.

I get you now though.

Prove your fact, because I disagree with you and I bet you can't prove it. As a matter of fact, I bet you can't prove that 5 percent of Pit owners even come close to living by the Ten Commandments of owning aPit. To me, those are responsible Pit Bull owners and please stop linking all of the Pit bull propaganda stuff because I could link just as much anti pit bull stuff which IMO carries more weight.

I think the thread is called "Gangsta Fail" look it up, I can't use the search function at the moment.

I really don't think that there is any good statistic on this. But if you are strictly going by your Ten Commandments, I would agree that the vast majority of owners don't live up to it. Although, you could easily argue that those rules should not be "Ten Commandments of owning a pit bull," but rather "Ten Commandments for owning a dog." The same would hold true. The vast majority of dog owners don't live up to those rules. The only difference is that for many breeds, the consequences are not nearly as severe as they are for pit bulls and any other large, powerful breed.

I read your post. If I misinterpreted it than my apologies. It was probably because you started it out agreeing with this falacy by goskins561

A common myth that should be disspelled.

I get you now though.

Well that's something that if you wanted to really know the answer to, you'd have to get a statistic. I know that most of the time I see pit bulls they're either being walked by someone with their jeans hanging below their ass or in quarentine at the humane society.

That's not to say pits should be banned. I just tend to agree that most of the time I see a pit being walked, it's by somebody that looks like the have a boxing match in an hour.

I've come to the conclusion from reading your posts that regardless of what anyone says, you will continue to hold onto your prejudice against APBT's. If you agree with Breed Specific Legislation than you go ahead and continue your parade against the American Pitbull Terrier. I hope you find peace in that. But understand that BSL does not work.

AND while I completely disagree with what you are saying, I will defend your right to say it to the death.

I've come to the conclusion from reading your posts that regardless of what anyone says, you will continue to hold onto your prejudice against APBT's. If you agree with Breed Specific Legislation than you go ahead and continue your parade against the American Pitbull Terrier. I hope you find peace in that. But understand that BSL does not work.

AND while I completely disagree with what you are saying, I will defend your right to say it to the death.

He's not saying that at all. He's just asking you to provide evidence that most pit bull owners are responsible. By his standards, which I agree with, I don't think they are.

This is coming from a guy who has had nothing but positive experiences with pits.

Here come the idiots who know nothing about pitbulls except reading the news. Lady down the street was bitten by a black lab years ago and had to get stitches. Funny that sack of **** didn't make the media huh? Wouldn't want the wonderful families and small children who have labs know about this one. Meanwhile the media is at the pitbull scene 5 minutes before it even bitten anyone televising on the national news. If you don't own a pit or have experienced one, keep your mouth shut because you know nothing about anything. My pit is a more gentle, loving, caring dog then any other dog I've been around. There is rules for having a pitbull....and it's funny those same rules I name are also the same for Rottweilers, Sheppards, and Dobermans.

Archived