Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What exactly happened between the Redskins and Lavar Arrington?

Yeen80

Is Lavar really physically done? Or is it just a cop-out for the circumstances that ended his career?

If he can still play, maybe bring him back for a tryout or something? A player of his caliber should at least get a second chance....

That would be like bringing Riggo in as a change of pace back.

His agents in a monumental blunder lead Lavar to believe that he is receiving an additional six million dollar bonus on top of the renegotiated contract which was "revenue neutral." When the "revenue neutral" contract arrived and signed in triplicate, the Poston brothers raised holy hell. Lavar agrees with them and says that the contract he finally got had "666" on it somewhere and he would never have signed a contract that had that bad luck number in it. (Presumably fixing it to 667.)

Needless to say, he didn't get his additional six million dollar roster bonus and was relatively peeved to say the least. .

Nice, accurate recap. Though you left out the part about the Postens and LaVar postponing every arbitration meeting scheduled over his contract, the fact that the Posten's initials were on every page of the contract, and the Postens were suspended as agents. Guess that seals it: Snyder screwed LaVar.

His contract was signed around the same time Joe Gibbs returned, at which time he said on television that Joe Gibbs had to "show him something" when he came back. It didn't start pretty, it didn't end pretty.

He eventually showed him something alright and it was the door. Actually Lavar paid to get out of the door and was retired within a year.

Bright guy with even brighter agents, lol.

Is Lavar really physically done? Or is it just a cop-out for the circumstances that ended his career?

If he can still play, maybe bring him back for a tryout or something? A player of his caliber should at least get a second chance....

May as well bring back Sam Huff. LaVar is more done than a Thanksgiving turkey. He had three pretty bad injuries, the first of which took away most of his athleticism and the last of which almost crippled him.

After four seasons with the Redskins, Arrington signed an eight-year, $68 million contract extension with his club. However, his agent, Carl Poston was accused of neglecting to inspect the final revision of the contract, in which $6.5 million worth of bonuses contained in earlier drafts were missing. However, the action taken against the Carl Poston by the NFLPA was not supported by the supposed injured party, LaVar Arrington. In fact Arrington supported Carl Poston in Federal Court as well as in Congress for the next three years on this matter. Arrington also hired attorney Steve Brown to investigate this case against Carl Poston on his behalf. Attorney Steve Brown concluded that not only did Carl Poston not do anything wrong but also placed total blame on the Redskins. The ensuing battle over the mishandling of his contract, along with a tempestuous final two seasons in which he suffered from knee injuries and was benched by head coach Joe Gibbs and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams for freelancing, created a rift between Arrington and the team. On March 5, 2006, he asked to be released by the Redskins, in essence paying the Redskins over $4 million to buy his free agency.[citation needed] Carl Poston was given a two-year suspension by the players' union over the mishandling of Arrington's contract. The NFLPA's arbitration process was called in to question by one of Carl Poston's lawyers, attorney Carl Fritten, one of the top arbitration lawyers in the country. He is with the law firm of Reid and Smith in Philadelphia. He wrote a letter to Arbitrator Roger Kaplan on May 16, 2006 in the Carl Poston case. In that letter, Fritten says and I quote, “You have denied my postponement request because Mr. Berthelsen, the general counsel to the Players Association, opposed it. Therefore, I have no choice but to withdraw as counsel for Mr. Poston.” He goes on to say, “In my 25 years of experience, I have never seen an Arbitrator deny a postponement request from counsel from an aggrieved party, particularly where there is no tangible prejudice to the other side. Unfortunately, Mr. Berthelsen’s objection to the request put you in that difficult position”. Fritten further stated, “Mr. Berthelsen already effectively controls the entire process by unilaterally selecting and paying for the Arbitrator. He has now removed even the appearance of due process of fairness in this case by preventing Mr. Poston from selecting counsel of his choice and now ensuring that whoever that counsel is that he will not have an adequate opportunity to present the case.” Lastly, Mr. Fritten says in this letter, “I look forward to the opportunity in the future to try a case with Mr. Berthelsen on a level playing field. This one clearly is not.

No chance, his injuries were career-ending. Have you seen him walk these days?

I know Arrington had the bad motorcycle crash...but i thought his retirement from football had more to do with no team wanting him, not that his career was ended....I had no idea he was that messed up

"As of September 19, 2008, Arrington appeared on Washington Post Live, a local newspaper television program in the D.C. area, and was told many emails were being sent to them each week asking if Arrington had thought about returning to the Redskins. When asked he mentioned at times he does get the urge to play again since he is only 30 years old. He also indicated he has not retired officially since he never filed retirement papers to the NFL."

That was from Arrington's bio....who knows...maybe he thinks about it sometimes....

from my perspective, his agents f***** up big time, snyder took advantage, lavar didnt like the fact that snyder took advantage, snyder didnt like the fact that lavar didnt bow to him, lavar left.

before the s*** hit the fan, lavar was a beast. the type of player you build defenses around. marty did it with great success. after the contract, lavar no longer trusted redskins management (hes wasnt the first nor the last...) and in turn redskins management no longer trusted him. the fact remains though that the defense improved markedly when he finally got on the field under greg williams in 2005.

i am a redskins fan and i still love lavar and i think he still loves redskins fans. he appreciates the history and tradition and does not like to see it diminished like it has been under the current ownership.

as far as the gibbs comments, joe said the same things about himself. he did have to show people something. he said over and over again that the past bought him nothing. why do people continue to vilify lavar for saying the same thing gibbs said about himself?

56 echos many of the same sentiments that have been all over this message board all season long and in seasons past about redskins management yet people still hold it against him as if he is obligated to toe the company line for an organization that blackballed him the minute something went wrong as they have done time and time again.

Archived