Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A closer look at MK's 2nd INT.

zCommander

People like BLC been saying Campbell should take shots since last season. He finally does and they get picked and he's all over him for it.

He can't win either way.

I can't defend the performance on Sunday but I know I saw a similar looking pass thrown from Kyle Orton that was taken to the house for the game winning TD by Brandon Marshall - sometimes a WR needs to make a play.

(And yes I'm quite sure Orton had his mind made up he was throwing the pass before the snap as well - only difference was his WR made a play)

Could you post the Thrid Int campbell had, I think Kelly was WIDE open and if campbell saw him it would have been a TD but instead campbell threw into coverage

On the 3rd INT, a pass to Kelly would have been the better idea. However, Kelly was not wide open.

The vid of all the INTs and other plays is posted in a thread created by zskins. It might still be on the front page, it's called "Redskins highlights."

When you watch the vid of the 3rd INT, you'll see when Kelly goes the CB bumps him, but let's him go. You can't asee the safety over top at that point. Meanwhile, the CB that allowed Kelly to go by moves over to the far sideline to pick up the other WR. When the INT happens on the other sideline, you can see past it that Kelly is in the middle of the field, and there is a safety right there on him.

If anything, it should have been thrown shorter. At least then Kelly has a chance to make a play on the ball. Even with his effort it was just out of his reach.

Talib had great coverage on Kelly, but part of the reason why you have big receivers is to make athletic plays to outjump your opponent. Campbell was just a little off and Talib made a great play.

Edit: Looking at it again, it looks like Kelly mistimed his jump. He jumps then suddenly starts to reach forward. Had he run another step or two before jumping, maybe he comes up with that one.

People like BLC been saying Campbell should take shots since last season. He finally does and they get picked and he's all over him for it.

He can't win either way.

I can't defend the performance on Sunday but I know I saw a similar looking pass thrown from Kyle Orton that was taken to the house for the game winning TD by Brandon Marshall - sometimes a WR needs to make a play.

(And yes I'm quite sure Orton had his mind made up he was throwing the pass before the snap as well - only difference was his WR made a play)

im glad hes taking shots. im disappointed in the results, as id like to think everyone is. hes proving that he cannot make big plays through the air consistently. for every nice bomb to moss theres like 15 errant ones. reward comes with risk. the last game was the first time weve seen him go deep more often than not, and the errors outweighed the reward. with good QBs its the other way around.

The ball SHOULD have been thrown. Campbell spotted single coverage on that side. Jason made plenty of ill advised throws over the last two weeks, but I don't think this was one of them. He is already throwing the ball in the second pic. The LOS is the Tampa 45. Campbell is throwing when Malcolm Kelly is at the 40. Nobody is going to be open on a deep route in the first 5 yards. Malcolm looks like he is pulling ahead by the 4th pic, and then things go bad.

To me it looks like Kelly misplayed the ball in the air, and that Campbell should have put the ball over the outside shoulder.

I agree!! it's one on one... JC threw it up hoping his receiver can make a play, unfortunately he didn't... not a bad play, not a bad decision, not a bad throw, just an unsuccessful one where the defender made a play

correct. he probably already had his mind made up that he was gonna go to kelly and just chucked it up even though he was blanketed. best case scenario with that throw is that the ball gets batted down for an incompletion.

This statement is flat-out wrong. How many times on this board has JC been occused of not giving our WRs a chance to make a play and just hitting the checkdown? Sometimes you got to throw a ball into coverage and hope your receiver makes a play. Or it could maybe even draw a defensive pass interference. A lot of people on this board are never satisfied.

Bravo to JC for taking a chance!

The ball was underthrown and to the inside. That is why Kelly is "reaching" out for it as some say. You can look at the first three pictures and see that the ball is hanging in the air and making Kelly slow up for it. Then he "reaches" for the ball because it is 3 feet inside of his position and he can't run through Talib, who is 2 feet inside of his position, for the ball.

Plain and simple, Talib did an amazing job of coverage. He blanketed Kelly. He forced Kelly outside and against the sidelines, making Jason unable to throw the outside shoulder in bounds. Then, Talib turned and stayed with Kelly stride for stride, making a long, perfectly lined in front ball a 50-50 shot at best. JC didn't throw a long, in front ball. He threw a slightly short, to the left ball. That just happened to be where Talib was.

This INT CLEARLY falls on Campbell. You can somewhat blame Kelly for not getting off of the jam and getting seperation, but Kelly didn't force JC to throw it. JC needs to see that Kelly is covered and move on. Hell, it looks like Kelly knows he is coverered and doesn't even expect/want the ball.

No it doesn't. When Kelly had a step, he began to cut to the inside, in front of Talib. Then he slows down, letting Talib back in front.

That is actually a correct observation. Right after the ball is snapped JC looks to his right and throws the ball without any hesitation.

Pre snap read. One on one coverage. Kelly has size advantage on Talib. Throw it up quickly, before safety can help, and give Kelly a chance to make a play. Not a bad decision AT ALL. Just not a perfect throw.

Pre snap read. One on one coverage. Kelly has size advantage on Talib. Throw it up quickly, before safety can help, and give Kelly a chance to make a play. Not a bad decision AT ALL. Just not a perfect throw.
Good decision, but the throw, while not perfect, was still good. I wouldn't have blamed Kelly if he didn't bring it in, but for him to not at least knock it away is inexcuseable.

Here's the link to the highlights which have the INTs

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d813238a4/Wk-4-Jason-Campbell-highlights

Now, on the 2nd INT it's a 3 WR set. Kelly on the right, Moss on the far left, ARE on the left in the slot. When the ball is snapped Moss is covered but disappears quickly off the screen, ARE is covered and runs a quick curl, Campbell gets the ball out to Kelly.

Now, I'm assuming Campbell got the ball out quickly because he saw single coverage and 2 defenders coming his way from his right side. Had he not thrown the ball right away he would have gotten sacked badly, but not from the 2 defenders on the right, but the one behind him that blew right by Samuels.

The throw to Kelly was a good decision in that situation, the pass wasn't picture perfect, but Kelly had the chance to make a play and simply misread the ball and jumped early.

correct. he probably already had his mind made up that he was gonna go to kelly and just chucked it up even though he was blanketed. best case scenario with that throw is that the ball gets batted down for an incompletion.
Not that I don't agree with you, but that to me was a one man route. That play call in the huddle is designed to go to Kelly, or no one. Everyone on this site has been screaming for the HC/QB to throw 50/50 balls to our tall WR. We see the reaction when it is done.

Nope, it was NOT underthrown. Kelly slowed down AND jumped too early. The other 2 INTs were JC's fault, but this one was ALL on Kelly.

Correct. I think this is an issue of Kelly and Campbell not having enough in game balls thrown between them to get a sense of timing down.

Good decision, but the throw, while not perfect, was still good. I wouldn't have blamed Kelly if he didn't bring it in, but for him to not at least knock it away is inexcuseable.

You are correct. I am about to do my best to post the play Brandon Marshall made up in Denver. VERY similar play. Orton's throw was actually worse. But a better timed jumped led to the catch and TD.

No it doesn't. When Kelly had a step, he began to cut to the inside, in front of Talib. Then he slows down, letting Talib back in front.

I see in frames 2 and 3 Kelly has a step. I'm not sure if I see the step inside you are referring, but I haven't seen the video recently, I'll take your word for it.

The way I see it is this. You can run a fly route hard, and have the QB under throw it severely. This causes the DB to overrun the play while the receiver makes a back shoulder throw. Or, you can just launch the crap out of it deep and see if your WR beats his man.

What I see in frame 4 is a ball that's trajectory has it landing (By landing I mean reaching the receiver's catch able height) around the 28 or 27. If it was thrown to land around the 31 or 32, Malcolm Kelly could come back for it. If it was thrown to land around the 22 or 23, Kelly might be able to run under it. Instead, JC seems to put it in the sort of window that gives Talib an equal opportunity at the play.

With the longer or shorter option I present, it's much closer to a "kelly or nothing" in terms of who brings the ball down. Instead, JC hits this particular window that gives Talib a shot at a pick, not just a batted ball.

I LOVE JC taking a shot down field. I LOVE JC throwing it up and asking Kelly to make a play. I just think the throw was poor. And given the poor throw, I'd rather JC have looked for someone else. Either find a MORE open man, or throw a better ball to the one only slightly open.

Archived