Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A closer look at MK's 2nd INT.

zCommander

This play really is simple. Its a jump ball. It doesnt matter if the wr is covered...you just throw it up and let him make a play. Your wr is bigger, taller, and jumps higher so most times the wr will get it. Kelly made a nice play for the ball he just mistimed the jump a lil bit. But it wasnt a bad play...more of a good play for the D.

Guys like Randy Moss, Marshall, Fitzgerald make a living on making this play. And as a big wr you want this type of play all day because you can use your athletic ability to make the play.

I would love to see more of these and fades in the redzone. Kelly will make the play more times than not. Dont overanaylize it guys.

You contrast this throw with the throw Orton made to Marshall to beat Dallas. Now, Kelly is no Marshall, but Orton put that ball up high and at a point where his bigger guy could go up and take it from the smaller Cowboy defender. That's one of the big selling points of having a bigger receiver.

To be fair - Campbell threw a perfect scoring pass to Moss in the same game, and Orton missed deep on some players who could have made TD catches if he hit them right.

Mistakes happen.

The key here is that in coverage, Campbell was trying to give his receiver a chance to make a play - yes he didn't throw a perfect ball. Hopefully he'll realize his mistake, and work on it. In the past, he may have thrown it away or scrambled or something.

Frame 4 and 5 you can see, despite the poor quality pic, that Kelly is getting ahead of Talib.

Frame 6-8 you see Talib getting back ahead of Kelly, while Kelly starts to go up

Frame 9 you see Kelly in the air, with arms reached out FORWARD, meaning the ball is past him, he'd have had to reach his arms back if the ball was underthrown. In frame 9 we also see Talib making the INT because he never left the ground.

Like I said in the other thread(s), Kelly got ahead of Talib, misread the ball, and jumped early, which allowed Talib who smartly stayed in stride to get back ahead of Kelly and make the INT.

Correct. Looks like if Kelly had kept running and not jumped, he'd have a better play on the ball, and had a better chance of a PI call as well. Looks like if he had just kept running it could have hit him in the numbers. Ball could have been higher to give Kelly an advantage. Basically it was good coverage on the play and Kelly should not have jumped.

And lets not forget how many of you guys have been crying about Campbell not taking chances. How many times you guys have been CRYING, just throw it up and let the guys make a play. He took one, and it didnt work out. Kelly didnt make a good play on the ball.

I happens, the other guys get paid to play too, ya know?

let's js say JC is not our guy and take the season for what it is. He makes very poor decisions...the more i see Jay Cutler and Mark Sanchez doing well this season, the more i wonder how much better we would have been. **sigh**

I think MK and JC share equal responsibility for that. JC could have made a better throw... but MK could have put forth better effort in the catch or atleast knocked the ball down.

Like someone else said.. it was JC's worst game of his career, but the Redskins still won... games like that are few and far between from JC, I get shocked when he throws 1int per game, much less 3.

Can the OP do the same break out for JC to Moss?

I'd like to see if the ball was perfectly thrown.

Maybe we can get some more keen insight from the JC irrational haters.

none needed, I want JC replaced but that throw to Moss was MONEY!

It looked a bit overthrown but Moss ran it down, either way on a throw like that it's better to lead too much than too little.

Had he done the same to Kelly on the opening play versus the Rams this board would be a total different place IMO.

Archived