Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MLB Playoffs 09 Thread

Big Weirdo

On ESPN First Take, they're about to discuss if A-Rod and Petitte are getting a free pass about steroids.

They apologized. Someone like Manny didn't. Manny claimed he did nothing wrong. "I didn't rape nobody, I didn't kill nobody"

Since America is a forgiving nation, they get a reprieve. Now clowns like Big Mac and Clemens continue to be defiant, they don't point the fingers at themselves, and they don't apologize, so their image will be tarnished until they do so.

The way the game is played is very simple. If you're caught using steroids just confess. Don't deny and don't act all defiant or blame teammates and B-12 shots. Just say "My bad", and then the public will be willing to forgive. Clearly everyone's forgotten about Alex Rodriguez and Andy Pettitte's use because they confessed to wrongdoing. If they pretended that they did nothing wrong they'd have a much rougher time from the public and the media

Because the owners are so incompetent that they still wouldn't do **** even with a cap.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/20/SPT215D4HM.DTL&feed=rss.athletics

Kind of hesitant about the cap. Teams need to commit to building champions instead of receiving payments and doing jack**** with them.

And before you complain about parity and the Yankees let's see if they dominate in 2010 and beyond. If they are still dominating in the next 4 or 5 years, if they rip off 3 or 4 straight like they did in the 90's, then talk to me and complain about how the system is unfair. The Red Sox and Cubs spend like crazy too.

Notice my post said I don't blame the Yankees? Baseball is broken. There are 10 teams that have a realistic chance of winning the World Series each year:

Yankees

Red Sox

Angels

Tigers

White Sox

Dodgers

Phillies

Mets

Cardinals

Wild Card

Notice my post said I don't blame the Yankees? Baseball is broken. There are 10 teams that have a realistic chance of winning the World Series each year:

Yankees

Red Sox

Angels

Tigers

White Sox

Dodgers

Phillies

Mets

Cardinals

Wild Card

Well then the other teams should spend more then. Would a cap really fix the issue and force [Pittsburgh Owner] or some minor team owner who really doesn't care about baseball to spend more?

The cap works well in other sports...I mean look at the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions. They greatly benefit from the cap. Oh wait

They apologized. Someone like Manny didn't. Manny claimed he did nothing wrong. "I didn't rape nobody, I didn't kill nobody"

Since America is a forgiving nation, they get a reprieve. Now clowns like Big Mac and Clemens continue to be defiant, they don't point the fingers at themselves, and they don't apologize, so their image will be tarnished until they do so.

The way the game is played is very simple. If you're caught using steroids just confess. Don't deny and don't act all defiant or blame teammates and B-12 shots. Just say "My bad", and then the public will be willing to forgive. Clearly everyone's forgotten about Alex Rodriguez and Andy Pettitte's use because they confessed to wrongdoing. If they pretended that they did nothing wrong they'd have a much rougher time from the public and the media

I'm sorry, but like Skip says, just because you confessed after you've been caught redhanded shouldn't get you totally off the hook. If that was the case for every crime commited, no one would ever get punished for their crimes. And the panal made another point, Bonds and McGwire might have took steroids, but to this day, there's no proof.

Bustler Olney was on Mike & Mike this morning saying that there's a possibility that around 100 players will be released this offseason because teams won't be able to afford arbitration for them. Some of the names he listed were Garrett Atkins and Jeremey Hermedia. Both pretty solid young players.

MLB has to do something to try and make the playing field even. FAs aren't going to the small market teams because whats the point? When is the last time the Royals, Reds, Pirates, etc been consistenly good? Why wouldn't you take more money and go to the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, or Dodgers?

Yeah, it's crazy how during the regular season I cringed every time he came into the game because he almost always blew it.

Fast forward to the playoffs and he was basically unhittable.

I can't recall ever seeing a turnaround like that.

Graeme Lloyd was the same way for the Yanks in 1996.

0-2 with a 17.47 ERA after being acquired at the trade deadline.

Then he gave up 1 hit in 8 appearances in the postseason. He owned the Braves in that World Series.....

The only thing worse than a bandwagon fan is the guy that calls any fan of a successful team a bandwagon fan.

Uh, that's not what I was doing. In fact, I wasn't really speaking about anyone in this thread. I'm talking more about all the idiots in our break room last night at work, that were cheering on the Yanks. Btw, I work in "NC". And yeah, probably only one of the 10 or so people in question weren't a bandwagon fan. One guy I've known for a very long time, and he's from New York. I'm also talking about the guys that you never see wear any Yankee gear until they win a title.

Seems to me, everyone either hates the Yankees or loves them...there's not really a grey area.....bandwagoners are not really a factor.....no more than any other team, at least.

Yanks, Cowboys and Lakers. Those teams have more bandwagon fans than any other. Only, I would say that those fans that hopped on the Dallas wagon during their SB years, and are still fans, I give a pass.

Kinda like how you have jumped on the jimmie johnson and criminal hendrick motorsports bandwagon.

Just saying...

Give it a rest, man. I'm not a Johnson fan. You're definitely a hater though. The guy is about to make history as the first driver to win 4 titles in a row. Give the man his due. And I have no idea what you're referring to in that last line. Doesn't make any sense. Btw, your boy Rudd used to drive for Hendrick. I even met him there once.

Edit: Btw, JMU, I just saw where you are from VA. If you grew up there and lived there your whole life, then yeah, I'd put you in that group. :)

Well then the other teams should spend more then.

A handful of big market teams already snap up the best free agents, forcing the other teams to scrape at second and third tier free agents. Teams like Boston and NY already sign the best international free agents (which is like having extra draft picks). Boston and NY also will routinely break the salary structure of draft picks, which has forced most other teams to do so to keep up.

A 5 million dollar mistake on a player is nothing to NY and Bos. It's something to many teams. Remember the butt of jokes in NY, Carl Pavano? He was the number one free agent starter the year he was signed by the Yankees. Less than a year later, the Yanks pretty much ate the contract and kept on eating.

Michael Lewis in Moneyball describes it best when the Yankees nearly lost in the playoffs to Oakland, only to sign Giambi in the offseason. It went something like, "Goliath, unsatisfied with its size advantage, had to take David's slingshot."

The cap works well in other sports...I mean look at the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions. They greatly benefit from the cap. Oh wait

I'd say the cap works pretty well for The Packers (pop of Green Bay is like 100K). Or what about the Vikings? They build a Superbowl contender this year despite being in the bottom 5 in revenue. How about those small market Pittsburgh Steelers? Two Superbowls this decade despite being the 20something market in the US.

However, I don't really want a cap. I want expanded revenue sharing. The Yankees spend about 200 million on payroll, plus a 17% luxury tax. Before they moved to the new stadium, they actually LOST money on their operations (in ticket sales). My guess is they're now turning a substantial profit in operating expense.

The big boom, however is that the YES Network makes several HUNDRED million more dollars every season. THAT is what needs to be changed.

All 30 teams should share TV revenue equally, like in the NFL.

Didn't feel like starting a new thread.

Lincecum cited for marijuana possession

San Francisco Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum(notes) is facing misdemeanor marijuana charges following a traffic stop in his home state.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Steve Schatzel said Thursday that the 2008 Cy Young Award winner and former University of Washington star was pulled over for speeding on Interstate 5 in the town of Hazel Dell, about four miles north of the Oregon border, on Oct. 30.

An officer approached Lincecum’s 2006 Mercedes and smelled marijuana as the pitcher rolled down his window. Schatzel said Lincecum immediately complied with a request to hand over the drug and a marijuana pipe from the car’s center console.

ADVERTISEMENT

The amount measured was 3.3 grams. Schatzel said police consider that a small amount for personal use, well below the maximum of 40 grams before possession is classified differently and carries a more severe penalty.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AraTFaDWkYsvep9oQi.WpCc5nYcB?slug=ap-giants-lincecum-pot&prov=ap&type=lgns

• 11 months later...

Archived