Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

depth chart changes were made on defense now they need to be made on offense

chow184

stephon heyer I'm looking at you. Heyer is a liability in the run game,and isn't even that good of a pass protector.

He needs to be sat for Mike Williams,Williams can atleast get movement in the ground game. Williams pass blocking sucked in preseason just as heyers does now, but I can say that williams has some potential upside as hey continues to play and regain his form.

jason campbell... ooohhh

part of me wants to say bench him and let collins get in there,but while campbell made some dumb plays today, he did force the ball down field more often which is what all of us have been wanting him to do. and got 2 very nice TD's out of it. in his defense for much of the day the WR's were getting absolutely no separation and not beating their guys.

if WR's are getting blanketed I don't see how collins could improve the situation. I wouldn't say campbell took any positive steps today,but he got pointed in the right direction by taking shots deep. it will be very interesting to see how he plays next week. if that happens. I could see zorn pulling a surprise and benching him for collins at some point very soon.

If Mike Williams was good enough to be starting he would be.

The JC vs. TC (and CB, though he's stuck in the ice tub for the remainder of the season) debate is too overplayed, so I'm going to leave that one alone. There are 35 other threads on that.

The 2 positions that need to get looked at on offense are WR and RB.

Sorry Clinton, you don't got it no more to be a consistent 30 carry back. He falls over, hits holes late, can't get to the outside consistently, and in general just looks like a 30 year old back. I think he's great for 15 or so carries a game, but they've got to find a consistent complement. Whether that's Mason, Betts, RockC, or AA, I don't really care. But they've got to get over the illusion that they can ride Portis, or he can be the "little engine that could."

WR: Moss is fine. Everybody else, BLAH. I thought that Kelly had something going on there for a bit in the Rams game, but has completely faded. Thomas is non existent. ARE had a good couple games, now he's gone. SOMEBODY has to fill that void.

There is nobody to help the OL. Those people are not currently on the roster. So nothing to do there.

williams was atrocious in pass protection in preseason,but he did pretty damn well in run blocking.

if I had to grade them

heyer

pass blocking-D+

run blocking-F

williams

pass blocking-F/D

run blocking-C maybe a B. I say C because he run blocked well in preseason,it would be naive to COMPLETELY judge him off of preseason but he clearly showed he knows how to run block. heyer doesn't know to pass block or run block...

I'd like to see Alridge in for betts...I want marko mitchell given a chance.....I would re-sign kendall and put rinehart back on the bench....If mike williams can't play, I would look into runyan or levi jones.

on defense....move orakpo to DE...carter and daniels can rotate on the other side..start chris wilson at LB...I want Landry at strong safety....let doughty, horton, moore play 25 yards behind the line.

I'd like to see Alridge in for betts...I want marko mitchell given a chance.....I would re-sign kendall and put rinehart back on the bench....If mike williams can't play, I would look into runyan or levi jones.

on defense....move orakpo to DE...carter and daniels can rotate on the other side..start chris wilson at LB...I want Landry at strong safety....let doughty, horton, moore play 25 yards behind the line.

rinehart has done fine. if your RT plays like trash it doesn't matter how the RG plays.

whenever I saw the team run right I saw rinehart moving his guy and sticking to him,and then I saw heyer struggling to maintain blocks or allowing his guy to run down the line and get in on the play.

rinehart has done fine. if your RT plays like trash it doesn't matter how the RG plays.

whenever I saw the team run right I saw rinehart moving his guy and sticking to him,and then I saw heyer struggling to maintain blocks or allowing his guy to run down the line and get in on the play.

Heyer made some big plays including some critical blocks for Chris Cooley that sprung him for long gains.

Heyer gets a lot of criticism for his play ... But, why aren't the same folks voicing their concern about Jason's poor play. And, for that matter Carlos Rogers and Fred Smoot.

I'm about 60% with you. I'd like to see Alridge and Mitchell. We can't complain about having and old team and not building thru the draft and then wanting to bench our 2nd year guard after his 2nd NFL start where he wasn't awful. Same thing with Runyan and Levi Jones, we're not a 35 year old RT away from being a Super Bowl contender.

Heyer made some big plays including some critical blocks for Chris Cooley that sprung him for long gains.

Heyer gets a lot of criticism for his play ... But, why aren't the same folks voicing their concern about Jason's poor play. And, for that matter Carlos Rogers and Fred Smoot.

heyer is always the guy who loses his 1-1 matchup the quickest compared to everyone else. thats a problem

heyer is also a guy who can't run block to save his life. he runs block with very little passion,and lacks a nasty attitude.

rogers has brick hands but is reliable in coverage for the most part.

I didn't see smoot on the field very much. tryon on the other hand played well.

I want the RBs to be Portis, Aldrige and whoever. But u gotta have Aldrige in their to get some speed in the backfield and be a threat on screens. Also both returners need to be replaced. Rock is good for 20-25 yards and Randel El gets about 4-6 a return. Put Devin Thomas on KR and Tryon or whoever on PR with Moss getting one or two returns a game.

:doh:

heyer is always the guy who loses his 1-1 matchup the quickest compared to everyone else. thats a problem

heyer is also a guy who can't run block to save his life. he runs block with very little passion,and lacks a nasty attitude.

rogers has brick hands but is reliable in coverage for the most part.

I didn't see smoot on the field very much. tryon on the other hand played well.

Oh, really! Carlos got beaten quite a few times in this game alone...

Heyer does a decent job. He is NOT great. The problem is that we have a QB with no pocket presence that knows how to leverage the time he has efficiently. He can side step, move up, or out.

But, folks keep picking on Heyer. He is a LT --that's what he played in college. Let him play his natural position.

I think we need to change up our WRs. ARE, Thomas and Kelly are not doing it (big surprise?).

Otherwise, I'd like to see other guys get chances, like Rock, Aldridge, and Mason, particularly in the passing game.

It seems that we've decided to become a pass first team (passing to set up the run), so why not try to spread the ball around? And if the guys we're spreading it to aren't doing much, then we need to replace them.

But I'm really losing faith (what little I had) in our WR coach and our coaching staff in general. Look at what other teams are getting out of their WRs. Are our players that bad? If so then I blame Vinny, but these were highly regarded players (Thomas, Davis, Kelly) and are we to believe that they're ALL busts? Nah, not likely.We're probably not using them right.

Marko. Get him into the red zone package. Sorry ARE, maybe Sorry Moss. Marko is the man we need to try. He is so obviously our only red zone WR its like a little game we play every week trying to find another one. There arent any others. Marko earned a look if in no other way by the FEEBLE goal to go patterns run by our 1 - 4's.

We are screwed at tackle as BMW is better suited to be a guard. I would have liked to have seen him at RG and Rino at RT in camp. I think our oline has played better than most would have guessed. I have an idea, ask Edwin Williams?

ARE was horrible on PR duty. Try Hall back there. Tryon. Moss.

M.Mitchell needs to start next to S.Moss. Randle El should be in the slot. Orakpo needs to be at DE 100% of the time. The Redskins secondary is overrated and they need a pass rush to help them. Having Orakpo at his natural position at DE the Redskins have a chance to get to the QB with their front four alone. There's nobody to help the O-line as pointed out earlier. Portis can't be a work horse. I think the REdskins defense will get better as the season goes on.

:dallasuck

:doh:

Oh, really! Carlos got beaten quite a few times in this game alone...

Heyer does a decent job. He is NOT great. The problem is that we have a QB with no pocket presence that knows how to leverage the time he has efficiently. He can side step, move up, or out.

But, folks keep picking on Heyer. He is a LT --that's what he played in college. Let him play his natural position.

If Heyer can't handle the guys on the right side, how can he handle the guys on the left?

How can the QB leverage his time in the pocket when he can't consistently get at least 3 seconds to throw the ball. (A thousand one, thousand two, thousan....BAM)

And it is not just Heyer, the whole O-line is inconsistent.

Don't get me wrong, Campbell has made some screwed up plays too, but he has progressed from last year.

M.Mitchell needs to start next to S.Moss. Randle El should be in the slot. Orakpo needs to be at DE 100% of the time. The Redskins secondary is overrated and they need a pass rush to help them. Having Orakpo at his natural position at DE the Redskins have a chance to get to the QB with their front four alone. There's nobody to help the O-line as pointed out earlier. Portis can't be a work horse. I think the REdskins defense will get better as the season goes on.

:dallasuck

I'd like to see Kelly and Mitchell on the outside and put Moss in the slot.

Campbell definitely should not be benched for Todd Collins that is plain stupid at this point.. Mike Williams would be playing if he could, but he can't, don't know why anyone every thought he would be able to succeed after he busted so badly.

-Marko definitely needs to see more playing time

-AA, or MM need to see more playing time, Clint falls at the sight of contact these days

-Someone mentioned earlier Runyan and Kendall should be looked at and I totally agree

Cracks me up hearing guys blithering away about the receivers.

We'll never know anything about this offense beyond the fact that there are two knuckleheads leading it - Zorn and Campbell.

There is no fixing the offense until these two guys either learn how to do their jobs at a quality NFL level, or until we get some people in there that can.

NEWSFLASH: The separation is lacking on some plays because the defense is sitting all over the routes. And, even if you do get open, Campbell really only has eyes for Cooley or Moss.

These guys are dead to me. Zorn really just wants to be a QB coach - and all he seems to care about now is if he can make Campbell into a quality NFL starter. A task that he is failing miserably at. And he's taking the team down with him.

I thought, at some point, self-preservation would kick in for Zorn and that he would swallow his ego and do whatever needed to be done to survive. But, I was looking at it from the standpoint that Zorn's main goal was to get wins for the team. Now that I see that all he really cares about is his Campbell experiment, his approach makes perfect sense.

And, next year, he can go back to being an obscure QB coach. That position suits him well.

I'm about 60% with you. I'd like to see Alridge and Mitchell. We can't complain about having and old team and not building thru the draft and then wanting to bench our 2nd year guard after his 2nd NFL start where he wasn't awful. Same thing with Runyan and Levi Jones, we're not a 35 year old RT away from being a Super Bowl contender.

YES, wow I agree with you 100%. Portis isn't as good as he was so far this year but he isn't doing bad. It may not be the best but he is by far the best we got. I would LOVE to see Alridge and Marko get some reps tho.

You NAILED it on the age/draft issue tho :dallasuck

Archived