Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Greg Blache learn from the Giants/Bucs Game?

dockeryfan

The Giants completely stopped the Bucs running attack.

And shut them out.

If I see typical 4 man fronts by Greg Blache, the defense will be making a huge mistake.

If I see Laron taking steps backward from 30 yards away as the ball is being snapped, I may just have a coronary in my seat at Fedex.

Not sure about you guys, but it is driving me freking crazy to see our d showing blitz on a 3rd & 4, and the cb's are playing 8 yds off the line.

Whatever happened to the full press blitz? cb's chucking receivers, throwing them off timing, while the other 7 are ripping the qb?

Somebody needs to put a firecracker up his arse and get the right players and formations in; at times, he looks as cornfused as Zorn...

No he won't. We won't do anything different. CBs will still be 10yds off the ball and we probably won't blitz much. Blache is way to conservative and it feels like we're always in Prevent defense. He's so worried about giving up the big play that he'd rather teams dink and dunk all the way down the field.

We need more press coverage on all downs. Standing behind the first down line on a 3rd and 8 the ball is snapped with guys stepping back. Make them throw into coverage not below it for a first down. Orakpo seems like he is starting to wakeup in this league. He is still not good with open field tackles.

Actually, Greg can’t go off of a single damn thing from the Giants game.

Why?

Josh Johnson.

Leftwich at QB means you can blitz up the middle all day because he has such a slow release, and slow feet, the middle collapses and forces him outside. For the run game, they can stuff the run, and force almost every run play to the outside, because if it’s not a run, and a pass, there is no threat of Leftwich escaping the pocket.

As for Johnson, he will make whoever pay for blitzing constantly up the middle. I’m not saying this is God’s gift to QB, but I’d much rather make him beat us through the air, then on the ground.

I’d look for Blache to employ something similar to the Lions game, forcing Johnson to win in the air.

Actually, Greg can’t go off of a single damn thing from the Giants game.

Why?

Josh Johnson.

Leftwich at QB means you can blitz up the middle all day because he has such a slow release, and slow feet, the middle collapses and forces him outside. For the run game, they can stuff the run, and force almost every run play to the outside, because if it’s not a run, and a pass, there is no threat of Leftwich escaping the pocket.

As for Johnson, he will make whoever pay for blitzing constantly up the middle. I’m not saying this is God’s gift to QB, but I’d much rather make him beat us through the air, then on the ground.

I’d look for Blache to employ something similar to the Lions game, forcing Johnson to win in the air.

Agree fully.

Johnson's a much, much different QB than Leftwich, and they're not going to ask much out of Johnson other than to keep plays alive with his feet when he can and only go with a couple quick reads while passing, not using the full offense.

That's dangerous for our defense.

what's Blache supposed to learn?

that Andre Carter is a 30 year old bust and has been for 3 of his 4 seasons in Washington?

that DeAngelo Hall seemingly can't cover anyone down the field despite the $55M contract?

that Haynesworth hasn't maintained his gap responsibilities and the Giants and Rams were able to make plays in the run game suckering him out of position and running through the gap?

on top of everything else, for some reason the Redskins have decided to play Laron Landry out of position permanently at FS when he is a natural SS.

ditto for Orakpo. he should be at DE.

the Redskins are the only NFL team I know of that takes talented players and puts them in position where their skills are not fully utilized.

Blache is the reason the Redskins are losing games....period. There is no pass rush and the DBs are 15 yards on the LOS every time!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!
I certainly wouldn't say that, averaging 13 points a game on offense, or whatever pathetic number it is, is probably a bigger reason.

But Blache is still getting our defensive talent to embarrassingly under-perform.

we have a tendency of making not so good quarterbacks look like all-pro's

johnson is a definitely a threat with his legs, everybody knows this, which means we probably still wont stop him

Yeah, I'm definitely worried about Johnson picking up some solid yardage running around, and I don't see Blache thinking ahead to spy him or keep him in the pocket while using some creative zone blitzing.

Probably much more of the same bland Man-2 crap.

I certainly wouldn't say that, averaging 13 points a game on offense, or whatever pathetic number it is, is probably a bigger reason.

But Blache is still getting our defensive talent to embarrassingly under-perform.

Yea I went overboard with "the only reason" statement but its hard not to get worked up when i think about the bland crap defense blache puts in every week. and then i have to listen to this doof defend himself after the game and not man up to the fact that he cannot run a defense. he is a horrible coach.

Yea I went overboard with "the only reason" statement but its hard not to get worked up when i think about the bland crap defense blache puts in every week. and then i have to listen to this doof defend himself after the game and not man up to the fact that he cannot run a defense. he is a horrible coach.
It really goes both ways.

Our offense doesn't put up any points so our defense can't just get after the QB and play against one dimensional offenses trying to play catch up (like the Saints/Colts/Eagles defenses get to do a lot), and our defense is bland and doesn't create any turnovers or play to get after the QB anyway, so our offense doesn't get any chances to score with shorter fields.

Both units are being restricted by complete lack of creativity and refusal to adapt their respective schemes to better fit the talent. Although the defense is probably worse in that, since it has a lot more talent than the offensive side of the ball and should be dominating.

Tim Ryan (he'll be calling our game this sunday and was reviewing tape on the skins) on Sirius Radio just talked about our defensive. Basically we are running a very basic under-D that is not deceptive and easy for QBs to read. Orakpo is also struggling as the SAM and being exploited. He's playing much better on 3rd downs with his hand on the dirt. Tim and his host didn't write Orakpo off, just acknowledged he's going through all the growing pains that SAMs go through.

His co-host (pat kirwan) could predict the exact plays and routes (TE corner routes and curls) that Orakpo was getting beat on without even seeing the tape. He had previously coached SAMs in his past and was all too familiar with their learning curve.

Ryan also saw why we are benching Horton (the tape never lies). He's getting out of position and has been a liability in coverage.

Interesting stuff and they both predict we are going to see more blitzes this week due to our base D being exploited. Kirwan predicted some MARs blitzes (orakpo and fletcher blitzing). These guys are usually dead-on with their X's and O's so will be curious if we do see that.

I will always remember how Greg Williams handled Mike Vick the 04 preseason game. Vick was knocked on his ass everytime he went back to throw, they ended up taking him out of the game in fear of getting him hurt. LA steam rolled Vick and he fumbled, then AP picked it up and took it in for 6.

Blache needs to steal Williams designs and start attacking offenses, meaning jamming receivers at the line and feeding the QB grass all day.

I will always remember how Greg Williams handled Mike Vick the 04 preseason game. Vick was knocked on his ass everytime he went back to throw, they ended up taking him out of the game in fear of getting him hurt. LA steam rolled Vick and he fumbled, then AP picked it up and took it in for 6.

Blache needs to steal Williams designs and start attacking offenses, meaning jamming receivers at the line and feeding the QB grass all day.

What about that regular season game against Vick in 2006 when Williams let Vick throw for 122 yards and 2 TDs and run for another 60 yards? While also letting Norwood and Dunn run for 107 and 87 yards a piece on us?

People need to let this Gregg Williams thing go.

We need a completely fresh, new approach in our defensive scheme.

Archived