Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

@RickMaese: Horton not starting Sunday

mnb123

I'd like to see Orakpo and Jarmon getting 75% of the snaps at DE, Wilson at SLB, press coverage by our CBs, some innovative and well disguised blitz packages, and a rotation of Landry between SS and FS more frequently. Doughty over Horton is peripheral window dressing (i.e. shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic).

Am I the only one who doesnt think Horton is that great? He had one awesome game last year vs. the Saints and everyone thinks he should be Defensive MVP

He's one of our surest tacklers, makes all sorts of plays behind the line of scrimmage, is great against the run, is great in pass coverage, jars the ball loose and always has his nose around the ball.

Yeah, we can sure say the same thing for Doughty.

I've supported Zorn through thick and thin, but this is the straw that broke my back.

What a ****ing absurd move, unless there's some sort of injury involved. Reed Doughty sucks. He sucks a lot. He's one of the worst players I've ever seen on this team. Seems to me that in previous years every time he's on the field, I'm yelling. Loudly.

Horton on the other hand has been a hero. One bad play this year, being that pass interference (which was tough, he got his head turned and everything) and now Doughty is starting? What a ****ing joke.

**** you, Zorn.

Since Reed has come back from his injury, he has played better than Horton, flat out. Horton has been declining. Reed has looked very good. They need to play the best players.

Don't let your mancrush blind you.

He's one of our surest tacklers, makes all sorts of plays behind the line of scrimmage, is great against the run, is great in pass coverage, jars the ball loose and always has his nose around the ball.

Agreed. I'm betting we see Doughty scorched early and often if he becomes the de facto starter again.

Except Horton has been missing tackles the past couple games where as Doughty has been tackling VERY well.

Listen, I was on the bench Doughty train for Horton. But I have been seeing Horton decline while Doughty is making every opportunity when he has been on the field. So I am on board with playing the best players.

Everyone makes mistakes on the football field but we need a playmaker! Reed is not a play maker and will also get beat in coverage! He's slow as Christmas! He's being used to blitz so we'd better have an answer for what TB does because they will game plan against our obvious resort to blitz this week with Reed

Reed was all over the field in preseason, and when you are all over the field, you have the opportunity to make plays.

Reed was all over the field in preseason, and when you are all over the field, you have the opportunity to make plays.

In the box? Yes. In coverage? Hell no! And if this defense begins allowing the deep strike, in addition to it's current T.O.P. and 3rd down conversion issues, it's going to be lights out. Doughty is 1 dimensional.

blache is a fool to think this is going to make a difference. Maybe having a DE at Sam is hurting our run defense. If he is sitting 48 because of the PI, well thats just horrible coaching putting him in that position - at the end of games no less! NO help from corners bumping WR's. Our entire team is dysfunctional and is held together by solid play from Mike.

The bigger problem is teams pass all over us when Phil Daniels is in the game. And teams have been able to run all over us with Phil Daniels in the game. When Daniels has contain duties, its a comedic. Watch TB isolate him in contain with their fast QB.

Get the Rack at LDE stick Henson at SAM anyone go Cobra whatever and move Landry up to attack the LOS on every play. He is by far our best blitzer.

And for us skins fans, please press these WR's when the corners are going to dump them on the safeties anyways. I cant take it.

blache is a fool to think this is going to make a difference. Maybe having a DE at Sam is hurting our run defense. If he is sitting 48 because of the PI, well thats just horrible coaching putting him in that position - at the end of games no less! NO help from corners bumping WR's. Our entire team is dysfunctional and is held together by solid play from Mike.

The bigger problem is teams pass all over us when Phil Daniels is in the game. And teams have been able to run all over us with Phil Daniels in the game. When Daniels has contain duties, its a comedic. Watch TB isolate him in contain with their fast QB.

Get the Rack at LDE stick Henson at SAM anyone go Cobra whatever and move Landry up to attack the LOS on every play. He is by far our best blitzer.

And for us skins fans, please press these WR's when the corners are going to dump them on the safeties anyways. I cant take it.

Breath of fresh Air

Yes it was a mistake on Horton's part.

But getting benched because of a mistake doesn't seem right,

especially when the mistake is one of the weak spots of the SCHEME.

They attacked the weak area of the SCHEME that Blache chose.

Blache said. "So that comes back when you stop, when you look in the mirror, you go through all the details, that comes back to coaching.

"And quite candidly, have no problem accepting that. I've talked to the players about it. I've told them I'll do a better job of giving them calls. I'll do a better job of helping them on third downs, put them in situations where they can be successful.'

I'm glad Blache said this^^ it gives me some hope.

Horton missed the one big tackle, yes. How many have Landry, Hall, and Smoot missed? All three of them do this flying clothesline maneuver when they try to tackle someone, as opposed to just wrapping them up at the waist/legs.

I can't see them benching Landry, but I wouldn't be super shocked if they benched Smoot or Hall. This, however, just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Reed was all over the field in preseason? He also got burnt a couple of times on deep balls.

In another note, this at least tells me that they are going to attempt to get some pass rush this week, which is good. But, I still make the argument that Flethcer and Horton have been the two best players on the D thus far.

I'm not mad at this..I mean I know in the past Reed been looking like swiss cheese out there..but this year he's been playing his butt off maybe a lil bit better than Horton..not saying that Horton has been terrible but Reed is doing it so far this year and like my man said earlier, if this means they gonna actually blitz then I'm all for it lol

I'm not mad at this..I mean I know in the past Reed been looking like swiss cheese out there..but this year he's been playing his butt off maybe a lil bit better than Horton..not saying that Horton has been terrible but Reed is doing it so far this year and like my man said earlier, if this means they gonna actually blitz then I'm all for it lol

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:Better than Horton:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lmao lets put both of them up for a trade or lets cut them both

Reed will be working at Home Depot..Horton would be Starting for the Cowboys LMFao......Reed D is who we thaught he was..you want to crown his ass then crown his ass...D Green said it best:laugh:

What sane D coordinator would play a cover 2 scheme with the game on the line? Why would you want your safeties covering Megatron and Bryant Johnson? Greg Blache is not owning up to his crappy schemes. What safety other than Reed, Polamalu, or Adrian Wilson would you put in single coverage against the Lions' receivers?

These types of schemes and play calls on D need more press. I was stunned to see the Rams WR running deep down the field and the predator chasing after him! None of our safeties can cover a WR deep, especially one that is not bumped not pressed and probably knows he is going to get passed to a safety.

Thats when he chooses to be aggressive?? It's mind boggling. The old adage defense wins games is still true. Why ours cant win any for us despite our FO being fixated on it for so long is just mind boggling. We lost all our kids on the Dline, and moved our two best pass rushers to LB! Its like a bad dream, or a comedy show. Or a horror movie. The defense doesnt need an overhaul, it needs a competent coach. I think its evident Zorn has no say in our defense. Follow the Jets lead, dont be afraid of EVERY SINGLE QB every single week.

Tampa is not going to run all over us. They are going to take that short simple uncontested short pass over and over and over. Like every team and every noob QB does. They love playing against us. And like clockwork we will give up a big play. They just have so many chances at one as we bend, its going to happen. One mistake the entire day, one TD. Our defense always gives the other team the lead before we can do anything.

So I can further explain what you and I both see, which is what Blache has been intending or hoping to do at some point, is that Landry @ SS + Moore @ FS > than Horton @ SS and Landry @ FS.

I don't think that is what Blache intended, where do you get that from?

I think that Landry @ FS + Moore @ SS > Landry @ FS + Horton/Doughty @ SS

And if i understand TD_wash he's saying what i said in a thread over the summer:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=289151

icon1.gifA hunch about Kareem Moore @ SS

That's what I'd ultimately like to see as well. I'm hoping Moore can eventually take the job from both Doughty and Horton.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Are the vast majority of people still vehementally opposted to the notion of moving landry away from FS?

It depends on how you see the FS vs SS position.

Imo you put your best player in the more critical position.

Our defense requires a FS that has exceptional range because he often back there alone.

Blache calls it the 'Angel' like: Ed Reed, Kerry Rhodes, Antoine Bethea, Nick Collins (off the top of my head)

It is a position where the FS should get INTs.

Also the reason why our SS has the freedom to play in the box is because our FS is playing deep by himself.

So if we moved Landry to SS he wouldn't be as effective as any SS becuase he wouldn't have the same freedom and opposing offenses would likely attack the FS, something they don't often do with Landry.

Unless you think that Moore is as good a FS as Landry then the switch doesn't make sense to me.

Archived