Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Santana Touchdown....and his speed

Redskins Diehard

Was it just me or did anyone else notice that Santana was almost caught on the long touchdown play? I remember thinking "I hope he gets in" because of the short yardage concerns. A day later I am thinking...."How on Earth did anyone even almost catch him?" Is he playing with some sort of injury? Has he just slowed down a little? Do the Lions have an exceptionally fast CB or something? I can't imagine the Santana from a couple of years ago being caught by anyone.

Dude he caught the ball and had to tip toe so he wouldnt go out of bounds... he then started running up field while the DB's behind him had already *been* running full speed... one of them even gave up though Santana was barely accelerating and dove at him unsuccessfully. He was able to get open in the first place because of his speed! I don't think he's lost a step.

I think we should trade Santana while he still has value. He is clearly on the downside of his career and I think he could bring back some valuable draft picks. This team has to start looking to the future. Who else on this team is tradable besides Cooley and Fletcher? Nobody, except Moss.

Dude he caught the ball and had to tip toe so he wouldnt go out of bounds... he then started running up field while the DB's behind him had already *been* running full speed... one of them even gave up though Santana was barely accelerating and dove at him unsuccessfully. He was able to get open in the first place because of his speed! I don't think he's lost a step.

I think this is more or less what happened. Santana just by his running posture I guess you could say, looked like he wasn't running full speed.

Maybe the defender was just really fast as well. But I don't think I'd say Santana has lost much.

I think we should trade Santana while he still has value. He is clearly on the downside of his career and I think he could bring back some valuable draft picks. This team has to start looking to the future. Who else on this team is tradable besides Cooley and Fletcher? Nobody, except Moss.

You're being sarcastic, right?? lol i knew you were// :hysterical:

Actually I think he got open because that was one of those well designed plays. But to make it clear...I am not saying that Santana is washed up, or through, or should be traded, or needs to be benched, or is the reason we lost. Don't think I have ever seen anyone come close to him before when he got behind them.

Did you guys see him stumble? The dude stumbled and then outran the D to the endzone. Yes they were catching up, but he was having trouble with footing. Wow, people like controversy here!

Dude, there is no controversy here. People slow down when they get older...it is going to happen to him eventually. They also get hurt sometimes. That also slows them down. What is controversial about discussing that idea?

I saw it too. Both the CB and the Safety were closing on him from behind. I know he was being bothered by a hamstring pull earlier in training camp.

Do none of you realize that the guys were at full speed when santana caught the ball slowing down? Full speed isnt instantaneous. He's fine.

Did you guys see him stumble? The dude stumbled and then outran the D to the endzone. Yes they were catching up, but he was having trouble with footing. Wow, people like controversy here!

People would rather throw Moss, Portis, Cooley, Samuels, god knows who else into the fire rather than look the the real culprits.

That pass was late and he stumbled. Moss still got the TD. If balls are thrown on time and to spaces/or on our receiver's breaks you'd see more of that. Moss is still very VERY fast. If he has lost anything it's like a quarter step and I only think that's on quickness not on straight line speed.

Even if this was good idea from a football perspective (which its not in my opinion at least) trading Moss is not possible this year because it would result in a cap hit of over $7M at a time when we have just over $1M of cap space.

ditto Portis ($13M cap hit), Landry ($7M cap hit), Randle El ($13m cap hit) and on and on.

We basically have to play the hand we have and get on with it.

That play was total busted coverage. My grandma could have scored on that play.

And yes, he has slowed down a ton. And he only plays hard for about 10 percent of the plays. And he acts like a punk - and his attitude and inflated sense of his own talents have infected this whole team.

He was a marginal #1 WR even at his best. Right now, for a good team, he'd be a slot receiver. He'll have another 2 games where he blows up, but for the rest of the games he'll disappear, just like he has the past 3 seasons.

If we can dupe any team into giving us anything of value for him, we should trade him now. But I think we're stuck with him.

If we can dupe any team into giving us anything of value for him' date=' we should trade him now. But I think we're stuck with him.[/quote']

See my post above yours.

Yes we are stuck with him, and at least in my mind thats a good thing. He is one of the few (only?) proven home run weapons we have.

Given we find it hard to score inside the 20 scoring a few from outside would seem a good thing to do.

Archived