Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Santana Touchdown....and his speed

Redskins Diehard

See my post above yours.

Yes we are stuck with him, and at least in my mind thats a good thing. He is one of the few (only?) proven home run weapons we have.

Given we find it hard to score inside the 20 scoring a few from outside would seem a good thing to do.

The question is....how much of a home run weapon(i think that is a combo of cliches!) is he at this point? Whether there is an injury, or a normal "slowing down", or something else at play.

Did you notice it was a question? Questions lead to discussions. Discussions are okay.

Not really. Moss is fine but, again, people are in an angry mood and would rather toss out the guy who just carried the offense yesterday and get "trade value" for someone who has been one of the only good parts of the offense for years.

The other issue is that the observation upon which the thread is founded is so remarkable in its failure to capture the essence of what actually happened. It's like having a 4 year old watch a game and not understand basic physics. Moss wasn't streaking down the sideline on a fly pattern or even on a post. The idea that he lost some speed based on that play would have to come from someone who wasn't really paying attention to the play's development.

That's the problem with the thread.

Not really. Moss is fine but, again, people are in an angry mood and would rather toss out the guy who just carried the offense yesterday and get "trade value" for someone who has been one of the only good parts of the offense for years.

The other issue is that the observation upon which the thread is founded is so remarkable in its failure to capture the essence of what actually happened. It's like having a 4 year old watch a game and not understand basic physics. Moss wasn't streaking down the sideline on a fly pattern or even on a post. The idea that he lost some speed based on that play would have to come from someone who wasn't really paying attention to the play's development.

That's the problem with the thread.

Thanks for your insight. you will notice in the original post how I suggested trade scenarios.

The idea is not based on that play. The idea is based on the fact that EVERYONE, including the best offensive player over the past couple of years(that must be a 4 year old's understanding of the human body), slow down with age and injury.

The question is....how much of a home run weapon(i think that is a combo of cliches!) is he at this point? Whether there is an injury, or a normal "slowing down", or something else at play.

Home run threat may be a cliche. But I dont think it is a cliche to say that he still the best big play receiver we have. We are all hoping Thomas can take over that role at some point - but some point does not appear to be this year!

As for his speed - as others have noted he slowed up on the play to make the catch and stumbled a little allowing some defenders to close - but nobody caught him which is kind of what matters in the end.

We have Moss, we have Cooley and Randle El has been playing well in the slot. The passing game ranks 11th in the NFL in yardage - we need to convert that yardage into points and convert in the redzone.

If we just convert in the redzone and improve our 3rd down defense that would go a long, long way to fixing what ails us IMO.

Easy to say harder, it would seem, to do!

Home run threat may be a cliche. But I dont think it is a cliche to say that he still the best big play receiver we have. We are all hoping Thomas can take over that role at some point - but some point does not appear to be this year!

As for his speed - as others have noted he slowed up on the play to make the catch and stumbled a little allowing some defenders to close - but nobody caught him which is kind of what matters in the end.

We have Moss, we have Cooley and Randle El has been playing well in the slot. The passing game ranks 11th in the NFL in yardage - we need to convert that yardage into points and convert in the redzone.

If we just convert in the redzone and improve our 3rd down defense that would go a long, long way to fixing what ails us IMO.

Easy to say harder, it would seem, to do!

No disagreement on that fact! He is absolutely the best receiver we have. He caught the ball at about the 30....he catches it at the 35 and he doesn't get in. And judging by the way things are going that means we don't get it.

I've thought it would be great if we could get both Thomas and Kelly to produce from the outside so Moss could work more in the slot.

Dude he caught the ball and had to tip toe so he wouldnt go out of bounds... he then started running up field while the DB's behind him had already *been* running full speed... one of them even gave up though Santana was barely accelerating and dove at him unsuccessfully. He was able to get open in the first place because of his speed! I don't think he's lost a step.

that was a sick play

Archived