Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network Playbook

Ghost of

Did they show the play with Kelly, Mitchell, Thomas and Cooley in the red zone? No, of course not because our genius head coach doesn't put more than one WR over 6 foot in the game at a time.

Exactly!!!!

Put the young, hungry, tall pass catchers in and leave the old, short, bad attitude players (Moss) on the sideline. I like ARE in the slot, but Moss split wide in near the end zone is like playing a man down.

Did they bring up how a Rams WR was wide open on the last play for the game, and Bulger didn't throw to him? If he did, it was game over.

Also, I watched the NFL Replay of the game... many times during the game, Campbell looked down the field but rarely pulled the trigger. So this is either a confidence issue or the receivers just aren't getting open.

After watching the replay, I warmed up to Zorn's playcalling. The big plays are on the field, but the ball just isn't getting there.

Playcalling? Yeah, Zorn needs to get better. But game film tells the tell.

You can only say that so many times before you're picking up an unemployment check.

Botton line: 3 pass plays in the redzone. Isn't this the WCO? Isn't JC trusted by Zorn? He only played him for a series or a quarter in a couple pre-season games. It must be true, but it isn't.

The guy needs to be given play on a silver plater for him to connect. Adlibing or making stuff happen isn't in his game. He's scared.

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? SERIOUSLY, WTF?

He scrambled and extended plays at least 6-7 times in the last game ...including QB scrambles for good, good yardage.

seriously, where in the F do you people come from?

The pass really wasn't that good. I don't even think they commented on the pass being a "drop" as much as a tough pass. Those types of passes do happen, so I'm not going to kill Jason for it, I just don't think Devin deserves the heat he's gotten over it. The Sellers drop was a drop. Devin dove to catch a ball that had a lot of mustard on it and was thrown AS Jason stepped up. It would have been a great catch. Not making a "great catch" is NOT a drop.

Did the WR touch the ball?

If execution is still a issue, wouldn't that be a result of poor coaching? A coach not pushing players in practice?

It's easy to blame players for lack of perfection but from what I understand it's a coaches job to teach execution of his plays. I mean that's what OTA, training camp and pre-season is for, right?

So, the coaches have to hold the players hands? Come on, dude. The players have to execute.

After watching the replay, I warmed up to Zorn's playcalling. The big plays are on the field, but the ball just isn't getting there.

What else is new? Been the same thing no matter the coach or scheme with JC. It's amazing how we all forget so quickly.

That said, I have seen a lot from JC I like this year and am optimistic about him finally hitting on some big plays soon.

I made a comment about S. Hixon in another thread.

If our receivers are not running crisp routes, or are not drawing PI on underthrown balls, then it's a big failure on the receivers coach.

I don't blame Sellers for a poor route. He's never going to run a great route...it's not his strength. In fact, I wish he hadn't even been an option for Jason. But the receivers are another matter.

Campbell needs to step up, thats it. He is getting protection, he has weapons, step up or its over for him here. Ripping Zorn is just another way of JC getting a pass. Should we be using play- action more on first down inside the redzone, yes..... Winners win, its just that simple, our QB is leaving to many plays on the field.

What are u folks talking about?? I cant believe some of u are listening to Mayok from playbook. He has no clue what he's talking about. First he says JC doesn't see Randle El which is a lie. Cambell said he saw Randle El but had to step up in the pocket to avoid the pressure and couldn't get the ball to him so he passed to Thomas.If u look at the film Cambell is right! He has to avoid the LDE then had the RDE draped all over him. But Mayok doesn't mention that. Then Mayok says the Randle El pushes off and is called for pass interference. That's wrong too! Randle El did not push off, the PI was called on the CB but they picked up the flag because the pass was un catchable. The only thing I agree with on playbook was Brian Belick saying we have to run the ball better in the redzone. That makes it much easier to pass. Mayok has proven time and time again that he knows absolutely nothing! All the draft busts that he predicted turn out to be stars! LOL Look at the entire play and take into account game speed and you'll see they just wernt very good play calls.

Man I would love to see a set of Kelly, Thomas split wide with Mitchell in the slot. Cooley in motion.

:doh: @ Zorn

Except, you know, Campbell would just lock in on a double-covered Cooley.

I've seen a lot from JC this year I like, but in both games guys have been open in the redzone and he simply hasn't seen them or found them.

Same old, same old. We all had the same complaints about the red zone offense under Gibbs and Saunders as well. How quickly the fans and the media forget.

So, the coaches have to hold the players hands? Come on, dude. The players have to execute.

If you are not held to a high standard in practice how can you be held to a high standard in game time?

Second year in a row it's all about execution according to Zorn, coaches coach and teach. If the teacher doesn't show the right way to do something how can you hold the students accountable?

If the teacher doesn't show the right way to do something how can you hold the students accountable?

Just curious -- did you feel the same way about Gibbs and Saunders?

Because we struggled in the red zone with them calling the plays too.

And we all moaned about it

This is nothing new with JC under center. Not even close to new. It's baffling that anyone is acting like it is.

to me it doesnt matter that ARE was open. JC found an open receiver and got the ball to him, he just dropped it. poor catching took 2 TD passes from JC.

Exactly. I don't give a crap if ARE was open. The ball was put in position for a touchdown and it was dropped. End of story. It's not like he threw it away, then I'd be angry.

Except, you know, Campbell would just lock in on a double-covered Cooley.

I've seen a lot from JC this year I like, but in both games guys have been open in the redzone and he simply hasn't seen them or found them.

Same old, same old. We all had the same complaints about the red zone offense under Gibbs and Saunders as well. How quickly the fans and the media forget.

How can you say that he threw 2 passes that could have been TD's. and then he only had 1 other attempt. Please explain what plays are you talking about that he had open people in the redzone but could not find them.

We were in the NY redzone twice and out of 6 plays he had 3 attempts. One a Wr screen, 2 a sack, and three an incompletion. Where are you getting these plays and attempts from???????

The pass really wasn't that good. I don't even think they commented on the pass being a "drop" as much as a tough pass. Those types of passes do happen, so I'm not going to kill Jason for it, I just don't think Devin deserves the heat he's gotten over it. The Sellers drop was a drop. Devin dove to catch a ball that had a lot of mustard on it and was thrown AS Jason stepped up. It would have been a great catch. Not making a "great catch" is NOT a drop.

It touched his hands. In the NFL, you gotta catch that.

to me it doesnt matter that ARE was open. JC found an open receiver and got the ball to him, he just dropped it. poor catching took 2 TD passes from JC.

I hear what you are saying but...

Most Nfl WR's would have dropped the DT pass..it was a hard catch..should DT caught it?yes. i watched a lot of WR's drop those type of passes...It was a very hard thrown ball,thrown a bit off target...

(no that doesn't mean it was JC fault)I am just saying that alot of WR will and have drop those same type of passes.Mike Selly,on the other hand had a perfect pass thrown in his bread basket:doh: Its football...it Happens..I think Mike Selly, and DT will catch the ball next time

Damn,i wish i had read this before i posted....I agree though 100%

that's just it...the ball never hit both of his hands..It bounced off his outside shoulder...very tough catch

The ball hit his arms not his outside shoulder, and if that was a Larry Fitzgerald or M kelly would have used there hands to try and catch it. Not that I am saying they would have caught it but alot of WR try to use there arms to catch balls, but the great ones uses there hands. The ball was hot and it was a hard catch.

He missed a wide-open ARE on the Thomas drop. WIDE OPEN.

And I love how folks are always asking why Zorn never calls a fade. Um, we've all seen what happens when JC throws a fade and it ain't pretty.

But overall against the Rams, Zorn probably didn't give him enough chances -- I agree with that. And I think JC played well. I like the guy and am really rooting for him.

But I still think Zorn is getting unfairly bashed for a couple reasons. For one thing, if Sellars doesn't drop a gimme, people aren't freaking out this week.

For another, and this is what I was really trying to say before, we have always had problems scoring in the red zone with JC under center. Things tighten up in the red zone, which is not a good recipe for points when your QB is so conservative. You have to let your receivers make a play. The ARE interference call was a perfect example. ARE is in single coverage and JC chucks it into the stands. WTF?

I mean, against Philly, at least two of Brees touchdown passes were ones JC probably never even would have attempted. At this point I think I would clap if JC threw a pick in the end zone.

On the Sellers play, Sellers ran a lazy/slow route, which prevented Jason from getting him the ball in a timely and safe fashion. Sellers did drop it but both Jason and MIke would have been part of a scoring play had Mike run the route with more effort.

Right after Sellers got the money he wanted, too.

Archived