Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network Playbook

Ghost of

Interesting breakdown by Mayock and Billick on three different pass plays.

ARE was open on the pass play where Devin Thomas "dropped" the ball. They seemed to indicate that that should have BEEN the read as the LB bumped the receiver who had motioned into the bunch. ARE was open as a result and Jason couldn't get it to him.

On the Sellers play, Sellers ran a lazy/slow route, which prevented Jason from getting him the ball in a timely and safe fashion. Sellers did drop it but both Jason and MIke would have been part of a scoring play had Mike run the route with more effort.

The last play they showed was ARE's route in the end zone. He pushes off and just doesn't do a great job there. They didn't point out any other options there, so feel free to add insights but as far as ARE went, it just wasn't the best route. I'd hesitate to call it 'laziness' but it wasn't executed well.

Guys are going to have to go harder down there in the red zone. I don't know if ARE or Sellers though they were 'selling' something else by the way they ran the routes or what---but that needs to be improved.

Did they show the play with Kelly, Mitchell, Thomas and Cooley in the red zone? No, of course not because our genius head coach doesn't put more than one WR over 6 foot in the game at a time.

:hysterical:

It is really surprising to me as well that Zorn has not utilized those guys in the red zone. I know it is only two games into the season but it doesn't seem like integrating those guys into the red zone play calling would be that difficult. But I may be way wrong.

I'm going to go with Paintrain, the playbook show does open my eyes but that's no excuse not to have a much taller targets on the field simultaneously rather than Randle El and continuously run a swept to the left expecting something totally different to happen each time.

to me it doesnt matter that ARE was open. JC found an open receiver and got the ball to him, he just dropped it. poor catching took 2 TD passes from JC.

Yeah that is definitely true, but the degree of difficulty on that catch (and throw for that matter) would have been much much smaller if he chose ARE.

Yeah that is definitely true, but the degree of difficulty on that catch (and throw for that matter) would have been much much smaller if he chose ARE.

The pass really wasn't that good. I don't even think they commented on the pass being a "drop" as much as a tough pass. Those types of passes do happen, so I'm not going to kill Jason for it, I just don't think Devin deserves the heat he's gotten over it. The Sellers drop was a drop. Devin dove to catch a ball that had a lot of mustard on it and was thrown AS Jason stepped up. It would have been a great catch. Not making a "great catch" is NOT a drop.

I feel like JC has to be perfect because of Zorn its sad when we can only talk about 1 or 2 plays that he made mistakes on or did not pick the correct wr to throw to EVERY QB has a couple of plays where they wish they would have thrown to a diff receiver. The point is he only had 3 passes in the RZ and he almost has to be perfect or fans and media will pick on him like he is the worst QB in the NFL. My point is the closest we came to scoring in the RZ was with JC throwing and out of 15 plays he got 3 chances and only 1 he had a bad read but still had a good shot with a TD on the throw to DT.

It was a great segment. Nice to see some media types watch the film and be objective instead of just blindly trash Zorn.

Well if Zorn would have called more than 3 pass plays maybe he wouldn't be trashed. It sounds like to me that JC was getting the ball to his WRs. At least that is what I saw, but they dropped it. Yet Zorn only called 3 pass plays with JC. So maybe that's why some of us are mad. The running plays aren't working in the redzone. So maybe we should pass more. I still believe Zorn has no guts and that's why we don't score in the redzone.

The guy needs to be given play on a silver plater for him to connect. Adlibing or making stuff happen isn't in his game. He's scared.

He cannot audible why don't people understand that. Zorn told Sonny Jurgeson who is one of the best to play QB that if he was to audible out of his play that he would have pulled him out the game. JC even said that they were lined up on the left for that 4th and 1, but he can't audible out because of Zorn.

He cannot audible why don't people understand that. Zorn told Sonny Jurgeson who is one of the best to play QB that if he was to audible out of his play that he would have pulled him out the game. JC even said that they were lined up on the left for that 4th and 1, but he can't audible out because of Zorn.

Zorn is going to be fired sooner than later just wait and see.

Randle El has been the Skins best WR this season thus far. He has even looked better on special teams than I remember him ever being for the Skins, he just seems to have a little more pep in his step this year.

Too bad the rest of the offense looks older and wearier.

Randle El has been the Skins best WR this season thus far. He has even looked better on special teams than I remember him ever being for the Skins, he just seems to have a little more pep in his step this year.

Too bad the rest of the offense looks older and wearier.

I disagree Kelly has looked good when he gets the ball. The problem is he doesn't get the ball thrown his way enough. Portis has been averaging 4 yds a carry, but again he is getting less than 20 carries a game. So maybe we need to put the ball in our talented players hands more. With that being said Cooley has also looked damn good.

ARE was open on the pass play where Devin Thomas "dropped" the ball. They seemed to indicate that that should have BEEN the read as the LB bumped the receiver who had motioned into the bunch. ARE was open as a result and Jason couldn't get it to him.

Question: I looked at that play and it seems like 71 for the rams was in that lane to deflect the pass if he threw it to ARE. Jason would have to throw a slow ball with arc to go over 71, but it would have given the defense a chance to punish ARE because of that type of pass. If it was a taller receiver, the pass could be different. Is that a fair assessment?

The pass really wasn't that good. I don't even think they commented on the pass being a "drop" as much as a tough pass. Those types of passes do happen, so I'm not going to kill Jason for it, I just don't think Devin deserves the heat he's gotten over it. The Sellers drop was a drop. Devin dove to catch a ball that had a lot of mustard on it and was thrown AS Jason stepped up. It would have been a great catch. Not making a "great catch" is NOT a drop.

I agree. It was a much tougher play to make than the one called upon Sellers to make.

On the Sellers play, Sellers ran a lazy/slow route, which prevented Jason from getting him the ball in a timely and safe fashion. Sellers did drop it but both Jason and MIke would have been part of a scoring play had Mike run the route with more effort.

The last play they showed was ARE's route in the end zone. He pushes off and just doesn't do a great job there. They didn't point out any other options there, so feel free to add insights but as far as ARE went, it just wasn't the best route. I'd hesitate to call it 'laziness' but it wasn't executed well.

Guys are going to have to go harder down there in the red zone. I don't know if ARE or Sellers though they were 'selling' something else by the way they ran the routes or what---but that needs to be improved.

Film doesn't lie. Zorn said in his presser that the execution hasn't been smooth in the Redzone. Playcalling? Yeah, Zorn needs to get better. But game film tells the tell.

If execution is still a issue, wouldn't that be a result of poor coaching? A coach not pushing players in practice?

It's easy to blame players for lack of perfection but from what I understand it's a coaches job to teach execution of his plays. I mean that's what OTA, training camp and pre-season is for, right?

Archived