Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP (Wilbon): The Front Office and the Redskins in 2009

Califan007 The Constipated

http://views.washingtonpost.com/world-wide-wilbon/wilbon/2009/09/the_front_office_and_the_redskins_in_2009.html

Can anyone else spot the numerous logic flaws in this piece? lol...I always do a lengthy dissection of articles written like this, but I want to see how many others come up with the same things I noticed.

I'd convinced myself two weeks ago, after sifting through roster and training camp information for several days, that the Washington Redskins had the stuff to be a 10-6 team, maybe even 11-5, perhaps beating out the New York Giants or Philadelphia Eagles for the NFC East title.

After trying but failing to do a really stupid thing and replace Jason Campbell, the Redskins ultimately made what appeared to be moves that should help the team substantively. Of course, the Redskins overpaid Albert Haynesworth, but that's what the Redskins do;...But Haynesworth ought to be a player of impact.

I love when teams reinforce already existing strengths, which is why the drafting of Brian Orakpo seems to be a perfect pick. The Redskins defense has the personnel to be suffocating. And there are certainly enough weapons on offense -- Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, Campbell, Ladell Betts -- to improve dramatically over last season. Okay, it's crazy to throw too much praise a team's way when it is remaking the offensive line. Even so, the Redskins, on paper, look pretty capable.

And then James Grimaldi's series in The Post on the club's ticket madness led me to have more conversations with more pro football people about the Redskins.

Many of them reminded me how what happens in the executive suites can so thoroughly undermine what happens on the field, of how no team can survive year after year after year of bad, dumb and even mean-spirited decision-making in various areas. It's a trickle-down theory, really. Bad management almost always shows up on the field at some point during the season.

I started thinking about the last time the Redskins acquired a player like Haynesworth. They got Dana Stubblefield in the prime of his career, too, and that was an unmitigated disaster. Nobody's suggesting the Redskins, presuming relative health, will be 5-11 bad. But so many people see the franchise as unable to rise above 9-7, which probably won't be good enough for a playoff spot, and probably stuck at 8-8. If the Redskins, again presuming relative health, can't do any better, they deserve to be taken to task because they ought to.

The franchise could certainly use the lift because Grimaldi's reporting embarrassed ownership to no end, though you would never hear that from Redskins Park. Nothing is management's fault, which of course is what all the worst franchises say, from the NBA Clippers and the MLB Pirates and NHL Blackhawks. This latest episode, suing people who can no longer afford the tickets, is downright indecent. It speaks to a basic lack of civility that's shocking, even now when shock value is difficult to achieve.

I suppose the people on the field could dramatically outperform the executives in charge, but it's not something you see all that often. Until there's evidence to the contrary, I'm downgrading my own expectations of the Redskins to 8-8. Anything more suggests a level of confidence the franchise surely hasn't yet earned.

basically all i'm seeing is that he says we should be good and that we should be 10-6 or 11-5 but based on what he's talked with other people about we might only be 8-8 because our front office sucks lol...the guys basically saying were good but were bad at the same time IMO lol.

Doubt thats what your asking if we see but thats what im seeing. Just finished a 12 hour shift im tired lol

basically all i'm seeing is that he says we should be good and that we should be 10-6 or 11-5 but based on what he's talked with other people about we might only be 8-8 because our front office sucks lol...the guys basically saying were good but were bad at the same time IMO lol.

Doubt thats what your asking if we see but thats what im seeing. Just finished a 12 hour shift im tired lol

It's like he's trying to come up with a reason to go back on his predicition.

I really dont see how the two equate? Non football front office business decisions have nothing to do with player's performance or coaching ability on the field.. PERIOD!

His article/blog entry/whatever can definitely be summed up with the following statement: "As long as Snyder is owner the Redskins will never win anything!!" lol :yes:...

If that's how he feels, fine...but he uses some convoluted logic to back up that conclusion in this piece.

yea he does lol, now i wonder what he says later when we go 11-5 lol (knocks on wood)

What's worse is that he goes even further by saying the Skins won't even improve from one season to the next while Snyder's owner lol :)...His projection before was only for a 10-6 record (maybe 11-5 if we're lucky)...now, he's downgraded it back to 8-8.

I rarely bother to read Wilbon's articles anymore. His logic is typically weak and his bias apparent. In this one, his "trickle down theory" on which he bases his conclusion is a weak premise with no evidence to support it.

I would have written a 6-paragraph post basically saying what you just said in a few sentences lol :rotflmao:..

It might make some sense if he had stated that the FO's treatment of the fans will cause even more opposing fans to be in FEDEX and take away even more of the home field advantage but he wasn't saying that.

Just that the lawyers chasing down and grabbing old ladies wallets will somehow effect Portis on 3rd and 1 and Hall when attempting to defend a WR, it makes no sense.

What's worse is that he goes even further by saying the Skins won't even improve from one season to the next while Snyder's owner lol :)...His projection before was only for a 10-6 record (maybe 11-5 if we're lucky)...now, he's downgraded it back to 8-8.
And talks about how we improved our strengths on defense but yet fails to mention how much kelly has improved and Mitchell impressed, and Campbell looked better in decision making so the offense has improved a tad but yet we go from his original prediction from 10-6 to 8-8 lol

It might make some sense if he had stated that the FO's treatment of the fans will cause even more opposing fans to be in FEDEX and take away even more of the home field advantage but he wasn't saying that.

Just that the lawyers chasing down and grabbing old ladies wallets will somehow effect Portis on 3rd and 1 and Hall when attempting to defend a WR, it makes no sense.

It appears that Wilbon found himself getting optimistic about the season, but then remembered that he hates Snyder lol...

I do not believe in a trickle down theory and for that Wilbon is dead wrong. But I do see failures on the field due to lack of correct management decisions by the default GM of this team. Some say it is Cerrato and others think it is Snyder but the 2 headed monster to me are the ones making the boneheaded decisions.

As far as the ticket fiasco and the overall management of the outside of on-field football I would throw the blame clearly on Synder. His PR guy, Swanson also did not reconize the value of the Redskins in this area and has done to Danny Boy one thing that Danny BOy can not afford to have, REDUCED the VALUE of the Skins dramatically. So after this season while we will never see the main culprit cleared out of the house, we should see a sweeping change at Redskin Park. Danny can still do the right thing if his ego allows it, otherwise expect some TV blackouts around DC and the funny thing about that will be that no one cares.

I rarely bother to read Wilbon's articles anymore. His logic is typically weak and his bias apparent. In this one, his "trickle down theory" on which he bases his conclusion is a weak premise with no evidence to support it.

Which makes it a perfect post for Extremeskins. ;)

:helmet: The Rook

I wonder who he talked to? The Ravens FO guys? It seemed like they were the only ones who would speak to JLC. They just love to trash our FO.

Oh, and gotta love the logic behind Haynesworth equaling Stubblefield because, well, our FO made that move. They must be the same!

I do not believe in a trickle down theory and for that Wilbon is dead wrong. But I do see failures on the field due to lack of correct management decisions by the default GM of this team. Some say it is Cerrato and others think it is Snyder but the 2 headed monster to me are the ones making the boneheaded decisions.

As far as the ticket fiasco and the overall management of the outside of on-field football I would throw the blame clearly on Synder. His PR guy, Swanson also did not reconize the value of the Redskins in this area and has done to Danny Boy one thing that Danny BOy can not afford to have, REDUCED the VALUE of the Skins dramatically. So after this season while we will never see the main culprit cleared out of the house, we should see a sweeping change at Redskin Park. Danny can still do the right thing if his ego allows it, otherwise expect some TV blackouts around DC and the funny thing about that will be that no one cares.

"REDUCED the VALUE" of the Skins "dramatically"? lol...Hardly. TV blackouts around DC? lol...Not very likely at all. And "nobody will care"? Are you kidding me?

The Skins were recently reported as being the most profitable franchise in the NFL...and a winning season/playoff birth will wipe away any alledged lingering "ill will" caused by some grandmother temporarily getting sued due to backing out of her contract.

Let's not start thinking that the Skins' business practices are Draconian and somehow different from the norm around the league...that's one mistake Wilbon makes in his write up.

Wilbon generally annoys me. His columns are almost always written out of an emotional response, generally lack objectivity and his ability to reason logically is in question,.....which I guess "columnists" are suppose to do. Anyway, his "logic" in this blog seems suspect as well,....but I agree with his revised prediction. No better than 8-8. That's my personal prediction anyway.

I wonder who he talked to? The Ravens FO guys? It seemed like they were the only ones who would speak to JLC. They just love to trash our FO.

Oh, and gotta love the logic behind Haynesworth equaling Stubblefield because, well, our FO made that move. They must be the same!

If the Bucs had signed Haynesworth to the same contract it still would have been too much money, but the move would have worked because, hey, they used to have Warren Sapp on their team years ago. The Skins only had Dana Stubblefield on their team back then, so obviously Haynesworth won't work out here lol...Makes sense if you think about it. :silly:

I do not believe in a trickle down theory and for that Wilbon is dead wrong. But I do see failures on the field due to lack of correct management decisions by the default GM of this team.

I suggest you take another look. Since Gibbs left, Vinny has done very well. We now have the most talent we've had in many years.

It appears that Wilbon found himself getting optimistic about the season, but then remembered that he hates Snyder lol...

That's exactly how I read it. And his referring to the ticket issue is absurd. Since the articles were published, it's been revealed that other teams have also sued fans for the same reason, including the Eagles. But I guess that won't impact the Eagles' chances this year at all, because it wasn't brought to light in a scandalous cover story.

Yeah, that was a really strange observation. Stubblefield was signed by Casserly under the Cooke ownership. But because both players wore/will wear burgundy and gold, the two scenarios are the same. Huh?

I'm not a fan of Wilbon.

Interesting how he uses the ticket policy issue as a reason why Redskin mis-management will result in the Redskins team (who he admits looks good on paper) being mired at around 8-8.

So I guess success in the NFL isn't won or lost "in the trenches" -- it's how it was fought in the ticket booth? :D

I agree with Oldfan -- Wilbon's logic is very weak for supporting his conclusion that Snyder's management is why this team stays mediocre. True, good management is a very helpful ingredient for teams -- but I can recall teams with reputedly 'bad' owners (Bidwell, Spanos, Irsays, Jones, Glazer) that did fairly well. Maybe their ticket policy was better than ours? ;)

Archived