Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cerrato: Redskins Keeping 25 on Offense (4 RBs?)

Farbod21

Rock does a good job of giving us field postion and protecting the ball.

rock wont be as effective this year since the changes in the wedge rules. i hope the coaches see that. i saw cut rock and sign dorsey. use thomas and dorsey on kick returns. dorsey on pun returns.

that is my wish! please please make it happen zorn.

I would too...or cut Rock and keep Mason and Alridge.

My problem with keeping Betts, Rock, and Mason is that they are all the same running back.

Sorry to disagree but they aren't the same.

Betts is the better Pass Receiver from that group but the worse runner from that bunch

Rock is the best Special Teamer from that group and second in terms of running the ball behind Mason but last as a pass catcher

Mason is the best short yardage RB and the fastest from the group as a runner but the worst Special Teams player and the worst blocker.

Each of these men bring something to the table which is why it's a very difficult decision. We could get rid of Rock and replace him with Devin Thomas as the Kick Returner but our coverage teams would suffer. We could get rid of Betts but there goes our 3rd down receiver. We could get rid of Mason but there goes our short yardage/complimentary RB. It's not an easy decision. I think we can get rid of Rock and be ok. I would love to get rid of Betts and use two TE sets on third down using Fred Davis more but his contract won't allow it. I don't think anyone brings what Mason will to the team and I want to keep him out of the group. But I think that's a long shot. What a mess

Sorry to disagree but they aren't the same.

Betts is the better Pass Receiver from that group but the worse runner from that bunch

Rock is the best Special Teamer from that group and second in terms of running the ball behind Mason but last as a pass catcher

Mason is the best short yardage RB and the fastest from the group as a runner but the worst Special Teams player and the worst blocker.

Each of these men bring something to the table which is why it's a very difficult decision. We could get rid of Rock and replace him with Devin Thomas as the Kick Returner but our coverage teams would suffer. We could get rid of Betts but there goes our 3rd down receiver. We could get rid of Mason but there goes our short yardage/complimentary RB. It's not an easy decision. I think we can get rid of Rock and be ok. I would love to get rid of Betts and use two TE sets on third down using Fred Davis more but his contract won't allow it. I don't think anyone brings what Mason will to the team and I want to keep him out of the group. But I think that's a long shot. What a mess

Well, I suppose I was too general. There are slight nuances that each bring to the table (even though I was speaking strictly at the RB position).

What I should say to be more accurate is that having those 4 RBs on the roster doesn't give you a change of pace back. Sure, Betts catches the ball a little better than CP, but I'd be much more excited getting Alridge out in open space as the 3rd down back.

Mason might bring a bit more power to the table than Rock or Betts, but it's splitting hairs and I doubt we'd see a short-yardage package trotting in with Mason replacing CP.

So, in terms of being efficient with your RBs...I would prefer to see:

Portis (obviously)

Mason (primary backup)

Alridge (third-down back and KO returner with Thomas)

Not only does this give you a wide range of RB skillsets, but you also have the potential to have CP's replacement being groomed on the roster since your two backups are younger. With Betts and Rock, they are both about CP's age and don't give you any long-term replacement value.

If I had to choose RB's, I would choose Anthony Alridge. He adds a dimension that we haven't had our of a RB in a very long time. If you were watching last night, you saw what he could add to the team with his YAC yesterday.

Yes, I understand that he fumbled on the kO, but Dorsey did also. He just didn't turn the ball over. Alridge has speed and speed can't be taught.

rock wont be as effective this year since the changes in the wedge rules. i hope the coaches see that. i saw cut rock and sign dorsey. use thomas and dorsey on kick returns. dorsey on pun returns.

that is my wish! please please make it happen zorn.

I completely agree with you!!!1

3-QB: JC, Collins, Colt

3-RB: CP, Betts, Rock

3-TE: Cooley, Davis, Yoder

1-FB: Sellers

5-WR: Moss, Kelly, ARE, Thomas, Marko

9-OL: Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, R. Thomas, Heyer, Bridges, Rinehart, Will Montgomery, Mike Williams

That's 24 right there. Mike Williams and Rock are the only 2 on the list, IMO, who might be in danger of being cut. Leaves 1 spot open, for another RB or OL. So it's looking very much like we will keep a 4th RB, and my guess would still be Alridge. He fumbled on a kickoff, but if they are keeping Rock then DT can also KR, Alridge doesn't need to, instead becoming the 3rd RB and relegating Rock to ST only. Or Rock gets cut and we keep Mason instead.

I'm willing to bet the above list is correct, and that it's only missing Alridge (though Rock could be substituted for Mason, tho not likely because of ST, and Mike Williams could be replaced with E. Williams or a FA tackle.

He contributes on coverage...I wouldn't say he does much on returns. He basically gets exactly what is there. How many times has he been caught from behind despite getting perfect blocking? You can't have that especially if your offense isn't great at converting good field position into TDs.

i agree, but i think that's more important than most people think. while there may be other guys who can create somethin outa nothin, they usually don't get some of the "yards that are there" by dancin around. the fact that you can COUNT ON rock gettin you close to the 30 is very valuable. and he still occasionally gets you to the 40 or midfield. i haven't checked the stats, but i think we were one of the top teams in starting field position.

as far as short yardage, people forget that rock had a high percentage of converting short yardage situations early in his career when he was the fullback. it should be noted that he was 240 at the time, but he was good at converting. he dropped the weight once mike sellers came back, and switched to RB. now the weight might've been the biggest factor, but i also remember reading that his height worked to his advantage.

i'm not sure if this will be enough to keep him though. the announcer made a good point last night about aldridge. he said aldridge may be more effective than the others in the 2 minute drill, because the defense is playing back, and he can take a short dump off a long way. getting the ball in the open field like that kinda turns in to a kick or punt return. and i like how he was smart enough to get out of bounds. they all bring different things to the table. i can honestly say that i won't be mad at any decision the coaches make, because there is no obvious answer for our 3rd or 4th RB spot.

I think I would rather Aldridge to be honest. Just teach this guy that fumbling the ball loses football games.

Mason is very solid, but he is way to much like Portis, and Betts.

There's ways of breaking a fumbling habbit, I pray they keep this kid for the speed in this backfield. This kid can be a very good RB with someone working with him.

i agree, but i think that's more important than most people think. while there may be other guys who can create somethin outa nothin, they usually don't get some of the "yards that are there" by dancin around. the fact that you can COUNT ON rock gettin you close to the 30 is very valuable. and he still occasionally gets you to the 40 or midfield. i haven't checked the stats, but i think we were one of the top teams in starting field position.

as far as short yardage, people forget that rock had a high percentage of converting short yardage situations early in his career when he was the fullback. it should be noted that he was 240 at the time, but he was good at converting. he dropped the weight once mike sellers came back, and switched to RB. now the weight might've been the biggest factor, but i also remember reading that his height worked to his advantage.

i'm not sure if this will be enough to keep him though. the announcer made a good point last night about aldridge. he said aldridge may be more effective than the others in the 2 minute drill, because the defense is playing back, and he can take a short dump off a long way. getting the ball in the open field like that kinda turns in to a kick or punt return. and i like how he was smart enough to get out of bounds. they all bring different things to the table. i can honestly say that i won't be mad at any decision the coaches make, because there is no obvious answer for our 3rd or 4th RB spot.

Good post!

I would too...or cut Rock and keep Mason and Alridge.

My problem with keeping Betts, Rock, and Mason is that they are all the same running back.

THANK YOU.

But again, our team will probably take a boring "old-school" approach to this and say .. "But our offense works around those kinds of power backs"

How many ****ING counters are you going to run with Ladell Betts and realize he's not ****ing good at running them?!?!?!?!?? Or running anywhere for that matter anymore.

That LAST time I EVER remember the kid, was when he took a delayed hand-off from Todd Collins against the Giants in the redzone and scored like a 14 play TD. This was 2007.

It just seems like the O-line slumps down to his own talent whenever he gets the ball, it's either that or Clinton Portis is a beast master and can get back to the LOS just making it look like a failed run, whereas Betts will get just a textbook open lane and he grabs about 3 yards when about 65 OTHER RB's could pickup 4-7

On my 53 man list, I have 25 on off, 24 on def, and 3 Spec teams. At running back I have:

1) Portis

2) Betts

3) Mason

4) Aldridge

Sorry but its time for an overhaul of our RB's, like others have said, CP, Betts, and Rock are all too much alike. We NEED a change of pace back. Haven't had that in forever. I realize by keeping both Mason and Aldridge it will create some special team problems, but don't forget about made Mike Sellers on spec teams...

I think they've spent a lot of time and effort to try and get rid of Rock. They brought other guys to try KR's, drafted extra LB's for ST coverage, Added Thomas to the KR unit. I think it would've taken a spectacularly bad effort on kick coverage or a spectacular pre-season by Rock for him not to be cut. I think he's gone no matter how good he is on special teams.

He threw the team under the bus on the Haynesworth tampering thing. We brought in Shaun Alexander instead of letting him start at RB. Clearly they're not thrilled with the guy. I'm not saying he's definitely gone, but I don't think its a shocking surprise if he is.

Antonio Brown was really fast too.

Problem holding on to the ball = getting cut

It was more then holding onto the ball, the man plain and simple couldn't catch. Therefor we couldn't use him as a returner or a WR. Alridge can catch and the kid can take it to the house at any time. He is worth keeping and working with, TD's are a great reward.

3-QB: JC, Collins, Colt

3-RB: CP, Betts, Rock

3-TE: Cooley, Davis, Yoder

1-FB: Sellers

5-WR: Moss, Kelly, ARE, Thomas, Marko

9-OL: Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, R. Thomas, Heyer, Bridges, Rinehart, Will Montgomery, Mike Williams

That's 24 right there. Mike Williams and Rock are the only 2 on the list, IMO, who might be in danger of being cut. Leaves 1 spot open, for another RB or OL. So it's looking very much like we will keep a 4th RB, and my guess would still be Alridge. He fumbled on a kickoff, but if they are keeping Rock then DT can also KR, Alridge doesn't need to, instead becoming the 3rd RB and relegating Rock to ST only. Or Rock gets cut and we keep Mason instead.

I'm willing to bet the above list is correct, and that it's only missing Alridge (though Rock could be substituted for Mason, tho not likely because of ST, and Mike Williams could be replaced with E. Williams or a FA tackle.

No way Mike Williams makes the team. Or at least he shouldn't. He put in a valiant effort, losing all that weight but the fact is he isn't and he won't be in football shape. I'm not quite sure what inspired Vinny to pick up a guy that hasn't played since 2005 in the first place. If Jason went down would we call on a guy like Quincy Carter (first name that popped up in my head)? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Is there an echo in here?

Every year it's the same thing.

Cut Rock.

He isn't cut and contributes in a serious way not just on returns but on coverage. Dude is always around the ball. If he goes special teams could be ugly.

"Never been cut" does not = "Will never be cut".

If Edge James, Tiki Barber and Shaun Alexander were replaceable, then Rock Cartright sure as heck is......

No way Mike Williams makes the team. Or at least he shouldn't. He put in a valiant effort, losing all that weight but the fact is he isn't and he won't be in football shape. I'm not quite sure what inspired Vinny to pick up a guy that hasn't played since 2005 in the first place. If Jason went down would we call on a guy like Quincy Carter (first name that popped up in my head)? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Well, we got him at vet min., so he's another body right now, so why not? Former 1st rounder who shows a tremendous amount of dedication if he drops the weight in time, which he did. He earned a look, and after what Zorn said in his presser today I'm not sure whether or not Big Mike makes the team.

If we aren't keeping Big Mike, which OL do you think we'll keep instead?

and i guess we all just dismiss the possibility of havin a back up fullback huh? i'd love for somebody to lead block for big mike jr.

This thought occurred to me too, why must it be a Running Back, it could be a Full back back up to Mike Sellars although that would kind of go against what they've done in the past (Nemo?)

I find I agree with Elkabong here, if not Mike Williams, what OL would you put in his place? Obviously its:

Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, Thomas, Heyer, with Rhino and Bridges making the cut that's 7 OL leaving 2 Spots, Even if you say they keep a Back up center not sure which guy is better, who is the 9th Guy, I think they keep Mike Williams because he's a big body and they think later in the year he may pay dividends.

Archived