Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cerrato: Redskins Keeping 25 on Offense (4 RBs?)

Farbod21

Cerrato: 25 on Offense

Dan Steinberg ... well, let Dan Steinberg report it:

On his radio show, Vinny Cerrato just said the Skins will definitely keep 25 on offense, likely including nine linemen and three tight ends. He's previously said they're keeping only five WRs, so if you do the math, this means they're almost definitely keeping a fourth running back. Either Anthony Alridge or Marcus Mason just got some very good news. Wow, this is nerdy.

Forget the nerdy part. He was only joking. This is information and we'll see whether it's set in stone or if there's a chance it changes or Steinberg is out of his mind (nah....). This is the day before cuts are final; stuff can happen. All the info is at DC Sports Bog; Jim Zorn will be available around 12:30.

(BTW, here's Dan's breakdown: nine OLs, three TEs, three QBs, five WRs, four RBs and Mike Sellers, a category unto himself.)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/cerrato-25-on-offense.html

What about Sellers, everyone is considering him a RB. I personally hope they keep Mason

Sellers is a FB yes but in terms of roster groups I think they just consider them "backs" and that is why he is included. Basically for 25 it comes down to an extra rb a la Mason or Aldridge or an extra offensive lineman for depth purposes.

1. Campbell

2. Collins

3. Brennan/Daniel

4. Portis

5. Betts

6. Cartwright/Mason/Dorsey

7. Cartwright/Mason/Dorsey

8. Sellers

9. Moss

10. Randle El

11. Kelly

12. Thomas

13. Mitchell

14. Cooley

15. Davis

16. Yoder

17. Samuels

18. Dockery

19. Rabach

20. Thomas

21. Heyer

22. Rinehart

23. Bridges

24/25. Backup OLine

Makes sense to me.

1. Campbell

2. Collins

3. Brennan/Daniel

4. Portis

5. Betts

6. Cartwright/Mason/Dorsey

7. Cartwright/Mason/Dorsey

8. Sellers

9. Moss

10. Randle El

11. Kelly

12. Thomas

13. Mitchell

14. Cooley

15. Davis

16. Yoder

17. Samuels

18. Dockery

19. Rabach

20. Thomas

21. Heyer

22. Rinehart

23. Bridges

24/25. Backup OLine

Makes sense to me.

I could part with Cartwright... Sure a lot of people will not like that but a change is needed

I think I would rather Aldridge to be honest. Just teach this guy that fumbling the ball loses football games.

Mason is very solid, but he is way to much like Portis, and Betts.

While I really like Marcus and wish we had a spot for him, I really think the 4th running back position is going to come down to either Dorsey or Alridge. With what we saw during the Jaguars game last night, I think it's a given that Rock is going to remain our KR. With what he lacks in speed and game breaking ability at RB, he makes up for in consistency, dependability, and overall refined skill on special teams and kick returns. And considering that we're going to be opening our season in a critical game against the Giants in the Meadowlands, I think Coach Zorn will be more comfortable in having a more proven player at KR. With a guy like Dorsey or Alridge on the field, you add a brand new dimension to your offense that could allow either of those guys to make a big play if you give the ball to them in space.

Personally, I think the only way Mason makes this squad is if Rock is let go.

Is there an echo in here?

Every year it's the same thing.

Cut Rock.

He isn't cut and contributes in a serious way not just on returns but on coverage. Dude is always around the ball. If he goes special teams could be ugly.

He contributes on coverage...I wouldn't say he does much on returns. He basically gets exactly what is there. How many times has he been caught from behind despite getting perfect blocking? You can't have that especially if your offense isn't great at converting good field position into TDs.

It's either Betts OR Mason. Can't see it being both. There is only room for one backup RB that doesn't play teams. That's one decision. The other decision is picking 2 of 3 from Cartwright/Alridge/Dorsey. :2cents:

I think we will keep both of them.

I like Mason but he's isn't much different then Rock and imo both are better pure runners then Betts (who imo is sticking around because of his receiveing and his contract)

Alridge would actually be a change of pace from all our other backs because of his speed

Just don't let the guy near a KR until he improves his ball security

Tiki had issues with fumbling in the beginning of his career too, didn't he?

And, Ladell is no saint either. And for that matter, neither is Clinton. All backs do cough up the ball occasionally. Some more frequently than others.

It's something that can be corrected. On the flip-side, speed is not something that you can correct -- either you have it, or you don't!:helmet:

Archived