Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Low-Wage Workers Are Often Cheated, Study Says

Larry

Link.

Low-wage workers are routinely denied proper overtime pay and are often paid less than the minimum wage, according to a new study based on a survey of workers in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.

The study, the most comprehensive examination of wage-law violations in a decade, also found that 68 percent of the workers interviewed had experienced at least one pay-related violation in the previous work week.

In surveying 4,387 workers in various low-wage industries, including apparel manufacturing, child care and discount retailing, the researchers found that the typical worker had lost $51 the previous week through wage violations, out of average weekly earnings of $339. That translates into a 15 percent loss in pay.

The researchers said one of the most surprising findings was how successful low-wage employers were in pressuring workers not to file for workers’ compensation. Only 8 percent of those who suffered serious injuries on the job filed for compensation to pay for medical care and missed days at work stemming from those injuries.

The study found that 26 percent of the workers had been paid less than the minimum wage the week before being surveyed and that one in seven had worked off the clock the previous week. In addition, 76 percent of those who had worked overtime the week before were not paid their proper overtime, the researchers found.

Wondering whether this study says "workers are often cheated", or does it say "workers claim they are often cheated"?

Still, thought it was worth talking about.

i'm going to be quite frank. we take care of our low wage workers in my business because we view them as the backbone (plus, in my business unhappy employees equal thieves). that said, the level of taxes a business has to pay is surreal and i can see many a business owners saving money maybe just to stay affloat pay their taxes off the back of a few illegals.

my thoughts are reduce taxes and it'll WILL get passed down to your employees

I know I feel cheated when I get my paycheck every 2 weeks and between 1/4-1/3 of the money I earned is instantly gone for FICA, SS, state and local taxes, unemployment, medicare/medicaid.....

:laugh:

I remember the first paycheck I ever got when I was like 14. I was so excited and then I saw a chunk of it missing and I was pissed for a good week or so :D

Simple fact of life...the illegals really get shafted a lot.
I'd suggest they try to become non-low wage workers. Any legal citizen in the US has the right to move on up ala Gearge jefferson. (Did you know he was born the sone of a sharecropper? LOL)

From the article. (Gee, it seems that now you have to give them your email address to read it.)

“The conventional wisdom has been that to the extent there were violations, it was confined to a few rogue employers or to especially disadvantaged workers, like undocumented immigrants,” said Nik Theodore, an author of the study and a professor of urban planning and policy at the University of Illinois, Chicago. “What our study shows is that this is a widespread phenomenon across the low-wage labor market in the United States.”

According to the study, 39 percent of those surveyed were illegal immigrants, 31 percent legal immigrants and 30 percent native-born Americans.

That was one of the things that I thought would generate some discussion. Does anybody here think that 39% of the low wage workers in the US, nationwide, are illegals?

That was one of the things that I thought would generate some discussion. Does anybody here think that 39% of the low wage workers in the US, nationwide, are illegals?

Probably higher here and across the border area.

Of course I also lean towards the 20 million illegals estimates vs the 10 or 12 ones.

Do the math;)...me I just take what I see everyday.

I know I feel cheated when I get my paycheck every 2 weeks and between 1/4-1/3 of the money I earned is instantly gone for FICA, SS, state and local taxes, unemployment, medicare/medicaid.....

Granted, I don't know about whatever your state and local income taxes are,

But I believe that FICA (SS and medicare) is 7.5% (of the first $100K. Zero after that.)

Checking my handy-dandy data from The Tax Foundation, in order for your income tax to be 18% of your paycheck (which is what it would take for your withholding to get to the minimum level you claim it is, of 25%), you'd have to be in the top 5% of income earners (but not in the top 1%). And in order to be in that group, you'd have to be earning at least $160K, after deductions and exclusions.

(Also observing that, if your income is that high, then FICA isn't taking 7% of your paycheck (because of the ceiling), so even then, you wouldn't be paying 25%.)

You must be one of the Evil Rich Capitalist Exploiters. :)

Edit:

+1

I guarantee you that you have never paid taxes that high.

The researchers said one of the most surprising findings was how successful low-wage employers were in pressuring workers not to file for workers’ compensation. Only 8 percent of those who suffered serious injuries on the job filed for compensation to pay for medical care and missed days at work stemming from those injuries.

I for one can attest to this. I was working at Burger King in about 1993-94ish, and as I was lifting two of the heavy stainless drawers for the chicken warmer might right arm collapsed and I could feel the ball joint sliding up my shoulder and around before slipping back into the socket, my arm went limp and I couldn't use it the rest of the day, it took weeks for me to get full strength and movement out of it, and when I asked about seeing a doctor for it the manager brushed me off and told me where I was working that day. I was 18 and needed the job for rent, so I didn't push it.

However, now whenever I throw a baseball or football with my son for more than about 10 minutes I end up eating Aleve for 2 or 3 days following. I am very reluctant about going to the doctor to get it looked at because I'm afraid what they will find. All of this could have been taken care of if I knew what might rights actually were, and if I didn't fear losing my job.

Simple fact of life...the illegals really get shafted a lot.

It's not just the illegals.

So bosses only steal from their employees when taxes are high? What exactly is the color of the sky in Utopia?

I didn't say that. I just said if taxes were lower on small businesses that bosses would trend towards cutting less corners.

Until you own a business you have no actual concept of the bull**** they tax you for... dude they tax you on your already purchased assets, real estate (yes on commercial property you pay the taxes not the landlord), sales, employees, profit, its unbelievable the crap they come up to tax you with.

its unbelievable the crap they come up to tax you with.

Heh, I just got hit with a penalty for them not receiving a form on estimating personal property tax....penalize ya for not helping tax yourself(even if ya did send it).:silly:

Now I get to pay it or waste time fighting it.

Heh, I just got hit with a penalty for them not receiving a form on estimating personal property tax....penalize ya for not helping tax yourself(even if ya did send it).:silly:

Now I get to pay it or waste time fighting it.

ahh i remember reading a funny note on the FR-800 I think it said basically if you have any questions pay the tax don't ask us.

ahh i remember reading a funny note on the FR-800 I think it said basically if you have any questions pay the tax don't ask us.

But this wasn't a tax bill, more like a required survey to base their bill on.

The tax bill will now have a penalty added:silly:(naturally small enough that fighting it is not worthwhile)

on topic

The insane tax structure and red tape and ins make hiring low wage workers not worth the bother to me.

They should take a look at exempt and non-exempt white collar employees. It's amazing how many people are forced to work long hours when labor laws clearly state they should be paid overtime.

forced isn't the word... replaced is the word. the moment they complain about overtime is the moment they are replaced. we have college students fighting for jobs with illegals these days.

if money isn't coming into a small business and they are being hit with a large tax burden there isn't money to spread around for health benefits and overtime. thats the reality.

This "large tax burden", which you claim is the reason "small business" are engaging in systematic theft from their employees, could you tell me which tax or group of taxes you're referring to? When, in your opinion, did criminal activity become both acceptable and necessary?

i listed them earlier. and i never said that it was acceptable. i said that is a reflection of the economic landscape. whats better no jobs or a job where someone is getting paid less than they should?

i listed them earlier. and i never said that it was acceptable. i said that is a reflection of the economic landscape. whats better no jobs or a job where someone is getting paid less than they should?

No, you provided a littany of "all taxes are evil". (This was in response to someone who challenged your claim that business owners base how much money they pay their employees by asking themselves "What's the maximum amount I can pay them?")

Again: At what point did this crushing tax burden make organized crime and theft a business practice that you defend?

Archived