Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Nation: Pats come calling for Collins Question?

bishtw

I would trade him for a #3 pick in a second and just hope JC stays healthy. We are not a SB team anyway...so if JC goes down playing the young QB's to see what you have is the right move anyway. I doubt NE is offering a 3 though...they are probably trying to steal him for a late round pick and in that case they can pound sand.

if the pats offered a 3rd or 4th im fine with it. collins wont be here next year and IMO were not gonna be a contender thsi season, and we definitely wouldnt be a contender with collins playing anyways, so we might as well get what we can. if campbell goes down, lets colt get his shot, and we can start fresh next year on a QB search with an extra draft pick. it would replace the pick vinny spent on jarmon.

Well said and agreed. I don't see how people think were gonna go 10-6. At the very best, if no one gets hurt and almost every ball breaks our way does this happen. We are gonna most likely end up 8-8 again or 9-7. This is realistic and not negative imho. Do it, trade for a 3rd. . .heck even a 4.

I think there would be a sizeable cap hit if we traded Collins. Not sure though.

And I'm sure not they're not offering much. A late round pick probably.

Plus -- and not that he controls anything -- Zorn knows he needs to win this year to keep his job. If JC ain't getting it done, he'll go to Collins quickly. This isn't last year, where the FO gave him a clear mandate to start JC no matter what because they wanted to see what they had in him.

Playing Colt or Chase this year is pointless for Zorn. It just means the season is over and he's grooming them for Shanahan.

If we could swing Sage in a three way I would be all for it. He would be our starter with a future by mid season

Funny. If you talk to Steve Spurrier right now, he will tell you Sage was the best QB on the Skins roster when he was around and that he never wanted to get rid of him.

I think it's very unrealistic to assume the Patriots are going to offer a 3rd or 4th round pick for a soon to be 38 year old QB. I don't understand why people in this thread are overvaluing Collins. Realistically the Patriots probably offered something like a 6th round pick and we declined seeing as how we have no other veteran QBs on the roster.

Ask yourselves what the Pats would do if the tables were turned. That's what we ought to do...:)

Risks associated with trading Collins:

• JC is injured while we are doing well, and we don't have a seasoned back-up - could be a problem, but 1) is it very not likely to happen and 2) can Colt or Chase handle it?
  • JC is injured while we are doing poorly - not a big deal, we're not in contention
  • JC stinks up the joint and needs a replacement - again, not in contention
  • We make a bad trade and don't get good value for TC
  • CB and CD develop more rapidly since there is no need to expend resources (time, coaching, etc.) on TC - this is a positive risk
  • CB and CD develop more rapidly and to a higher quality since they will compete for the 2nd spot - this is a positive risk

Risks associated with keeping Collins:

• We lose either CB or CD to another team - missed opportunity
  • TC comes in as a back-up and performs poorly, resulting in the 3rd stringer winning the job anyway - missed opportunity

If our risk profile is to accept moderate risk, I'd say we ought to trade TC as long as the terms are reasonable.

If the Skins could get a 4th round pick or better I say let him go. As many have said, he probably won't be on the roster next year and if he is called into action he wouldn't make this team a contender anyhow, so might as well get some value for him. The roster is aging and already has several holes so getting a reasonable pick or picks for a player who is only in your plans for this season would be good business IMO.

If the Skins could get a 4th round pick or better I say let him go. As many have said, he probably won't be on the roster next year and if he is called into action he wouldn't make this team a contender anyhow, so might as well get some value for him. The roster is aging and already has several holes so getting a reasonable pick or picks for a player who is only in your plans for this season would be good business IMO.

Are you talking about Campbell? Because your arguments are just as if not more applicable there.

If we could get decent value for him, I would definitely let him go. He is a great backup but he is old and probably not going to be on this team much longer so why not get some youth for him and stick with the young backups we have now? Spend time developing them and use that pick on a linemen next year.

Are you talking about Campbell? Because your arguments are just as if not more applicable there.

Frankly I don't think there is much of a chance at a deep run into the playoffs with Collins or Campbell. For the Skins to have a deep run I think they will have to be very fortunate with injuries, or lack of, especially on the OL. I have a hard time seeing that given the age and injury history of the unit. Therefore I think it would be smart to get some value out of a backup player while there still is some, instead of keeping him on the roster for one season in which at best he provides a marginal upgrade to the starter. I think a 4th or higher pick (which I doubt the Pats offered anyhow) would be of greater value in the long run than what Collins could offer for just this season.

Edit to add: Also we all know JC is heading into the season as starter. So unless JC gets hurt things would have to go really bad for him in order to see Collins. IMO The front half of the schedule looks much more favorable than the 2nd half, so if the Skins get off on the wrong foot I don't see Collins being the answer to turn it around against what looks to be tougher competition. I know he rallied us to the playoffs a few years ago, but our rushing attack and D carried us during that stretch.

Hahaha! Wow I didn't see that coming! Man I love a good knee-slapper like that. Who would have thought that this guy could have turned the situation into an opportunity to criticize Jason Campbell. I woke up this morning and thought to myself, hmm... I wonder how SoCalSkins feels about Jason Campbell today.

Boy am I glad you took the time to answer that question for me.

I don't post this lightly. I really like Collins and how he fits in with this WCO. That said, if the Pats offered a 3rd (or 4th and future compensations) I'd think long and hard about their offer and possibly counter-offer:

Here are the reasons for considering a trade:

• It likely Collins will not be with the Skins for the 2010 season; this is probably his last season with us.
  • This would give us $3.5 million more to pick up a high-priced waiver-wire release or cap-casualty player.
  • Campbell is fairy durable and is slated as the first string. It's likely Collins will hold a clipboard for most of the season as the Skins FO will want as many games as possible to decide on whether to extend Campbell's contract.
  • This would allow the Skins to keep both Brennan and Daniels.

The downside of trading would be: (1) losing Collins as a tutor for the backups, and (2) not having Collins available if Campbell is injured or deemed ineffective.

IMO, the backups might be able step up adequately if needed should Campbell get injured. It wouldn't be a good replacement, but both look like they could 'dink & dunk' well enough to let Clinton run effectively. And if the change at QB due to performance reasons -- the Skins were probably already out of the playoff picture because most of the games they needed to win to be in the playoff hunt were in the first half of the season. At that juncture they'd prabably be looking to rebuild for the 2010 season.

I likey:D But if we keep Collins(which I'm fairly sure we will), we should take the best of the rookies as 3rd QB and have the other come up limping so he can be stashed on the IR.

Hail

Archived