Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The deciding factor for 3rd string QB which is out of their hands

ZRagone

Watching the game on Friday pretty much assured me who I think needs to get the 3rd string QB spot. Now you could think that it was the interception thrown by Colt making me go "Definitely, Chase must be the guy", but that'd be wrong. So you could say it must then be his bounce back and TD pass to the Rookie, concluding that made it apparent for me its Colt, but that's not exactly right either.

What made the decision for me was the way the guys on the side reacted to both, and what they said after the game about it.

I fully believe Colt Brennan has the connection with his teammates, has that respect and trust that a QB needs. He's been a 3rd string QB his entire tenure here yet you will see starters being the first to always go up to him and are the ones continually talking the guy up. Fred Smoot I believe, after being asked a question about the interception, stated "That's my guy". It was evident last year too, all of them were fired up about him and how he goes out and makes plays. He's become in with the guys on the team quickly, being the only "scrub" playing in Cooley's fantasy league last year with all the big names.

Chase has had a great preseason, there's absolutely zero denying it. Its debatable though if its better than the preseason Colt had last year, so we're not here looking at Chase vs Colt this year alone, as if Colt's not capable of doing it as well...or like Chase isn't able to have the same thing happen in his sophmore year next time.

I think in a lot of ways the two QB's are similar. Accurate, quick releases. Somewhat questionable arm and size (though I definitely don't buy the size thing with Colt, and am not as annoyed by it with Chase as some), with a bit of mobility to them. However, in the end, I think Colt truly has the respect of his teammates in such a way that if for some reason he had to go in during a game there would not be a question in the minds of the other 10 players around him that they could go out and win that game with him.

In a 3rd string QB I don't think you can ask for a better quality.

So what do you all think? Am I wrong in regards to the connection with his teammates? Either in total or to the extent that its there more than chase? Or am I simply over valuing this trait compared to other things? Does a bad preseason, regardless of his last one, overcome whatever other potential there is?

They already have the roster set. It will be same as last year. They are not going to cut Brennan because they drafted him. They did not even give Chase a chance to play against the Pats because they knew he would blow Colt out of the water. If Chase has another surprising outstanding showing, then it MIGHT force them to cut collins.

They already have the roster set. It will be same as last year. They are not going to cut Brennan because they drafted him. They did not even give Chase a chance to play against the Pats because they knew he would blow Colt out of the water. If Chase has another surprising outstanding showing, then it MIGHT force them to cut collins.

They WILL NOT cut Collins. I doubt they will cut Brennan even if Chase puts on a stellar performance on Thursday, but I'm sure the FO will have their reservations about making that decision.

Colt Brennan should win because he is the best fit we have for the west coast. That pick he threw was against New Englands first team defense and he was trying to make something happen. No one wants to drive to redzone and settle for a fieldgoal. Chase Daniels has only played against guys that wont even be on a team come next monday.

I'll go as far as saying that there is no chance Colt is going to be cut. I think the coaches and players both realize that he has special qualities other quarterbacks dont have.

I ask you one question. If JC was playing behind our 2nd or 3rd string line and throwing to 3rd string WRs would he look better then colt?

Colt Brennan should win the spot because he's friends with the team already? I call BS. He's a poor passer. That counts more than being a nice guy.

/thread

If Brennan, according to a lot of people on this board, should've been the starter due entirely to his preseason last year (regardless of Campbell's support throughout the team), then he should be cut for the same reason of perforamnce this year.

Anyone hear anyone knocking on Daniel? No. And most incumbent quarterbacks are going to have greater rapport with their teams anyway, so does that mean that they should start until they retire? No.

Colt Brennan should win the spot because he's friends with the team already? I call BS. He's a poor passer. That counts more than being a nice guy.

:hysterical:Yes, he is awful at passing.

That td pass he made.....JC has such great touch on the long ball, and has completed so many of those in his career for touchdowns.:doh:

Or maybe it was his terrible passing in college that leads you to believe that?

Seriously, is there a farm somewhere that produces this?

Or maybe living too close to power lines?

That td pass he made.....JC has such great touch on the long ball, and has completed so many of those in his career for touchdowns.:doh:

He should have said poor decision making, because there is no denying that it has been questionable this pre-season.

JC has such great touch on the long ball, and has completed so many of those in his career for touchdowns.:doh:

Couldn't resist, eh?

I think the thread is about 3rd string qb.

Please, abide by the rules and stay on topic.

/thread

If Brennan, according to a lot of people on this board, should've been the starter due entirely to his preseason last year (regardless of Campbell's support throughout the team), then he should be cut for the same reason of perforamnce this year.

That's good and all, but I wasn't one of those guys saying he should be the starter. He absolutely shouldn't be. Campbell was the correct person to start last year, he's the correct one to start this year. Without question. I didn't agree with the notion of Colt as #2 last year, though was fine with him competing this year.

However, I think the amount of support for, and seemingly trust in, the kid from many on the team expressed this year and last year is greater than what you normally would hear for a 6th round draft pick, 3rd stringer on a team and I think is an intangable that shouldn't be ignored. We hear "intangable" talked about so often with QB's...Rothlisburger (I know I spelt that wrong), Brady, Montana. I'm not trying to compare Colt to those guys, he's not...what I am trying to say however is that intangables do factor into football, and I think this is one that's a big positive for Colt. I don't think many teams could say their starters would HONESTLY feel confident that they could go out there and still have a great chance to win, I do think many of our guys feel that way with Colt.

He didn't mention Campbell and this thread has nothing to do with Campbell. Try and stay on topic, don't hijack this thread with a bunch of nonsense, it's beyond old.

No, it's from watching him throw the ball. In the Patriot game he made one good throw to a wide-open receiver. He also made a bad throw which ended up as a pick-six, had at least one pass batted down at the line due to his ugly low release, and has looked pretty terrible the whole preseason.

As for Campbell, who wasn't the focus here, he missed one downfield throw, had Malcolm Kelly drop a couple in the end zone, and was very accurate on his short and intermediate routes, including a spectacular throw and catch along the sideline to Moss.

As for Campbell, who wasn't the focus here, he missed one downfield throw, had Malcolm Kelly drop a couple in the end zone, and was very accurate on his short and intermediate routes, including a spectacular throw and catch along the sideline to Moss.

Don't be lured by the hijacker...;)

HTTR!

:cheers:

The fact that Daniel has barely been allowed to see the field yet says more than anything else. IMO, if he had a legitimate shot to take Brennan's spot I think he'd have played more.

I agree...the Skins know what they have in CB...Daniels? Not so much...but it doesn't mean he misses out on the PS.

Daniel to the practice squad with the chance to move up the depth chart as the season plays out? It's similar to a freshman trying to beat out a sophomore (Daniel vs. Brennan). I loved what I saw out of Daniel and I'll bet the coaches did too. It wouldn't surprise me if the coaches have already made up their minds about Daniel and are playing Brennan more because they are giving him every chance to save his roster spot by performing well in games.

Colt Brennan reminds me a lot of Ty Detmer. Both came out of college as all-time passing leaders but lack pro credentials. Remember, Brennan would have gone undrafted if the Skins didn't take him which means no other teams thought much of him as far as his pro prospects are concerned. Personally, I hope we find a way to keep them both and that one of them progresses into a very good pro QB.

Colt Brennan reminds me a lot of Ty Detmer. Both came out of college as all-time passing leaders but lack pro credentials. Remember, Brennan would have gone undrafted if the Skins didn't take him which means no other teams thought much of him as far as his pro prospects are concerned. Personally, I hope we find a way to keep them both and that one of them progresses into a very good pro QB.

Excellent analogy. I don't know that you can say with certainty someone wouldn't have taken a flier on him, but it definitely wouldn't have surprised anyone but Hawaii fans if he'd gone undrafted.

Archived