Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The deciding factor for 3rd string QB which is out of their hands

ZRagone

dont tell me it was against weak wac teams.....70+% is impressive in 7 on 7 drills..... at any level

And you see how well that is translating to the NFL.

I don't know where people get the idea Brennan is such an accurate passer. He's 13 of 29 this preseason with three bad interceptions. Against backup defenses.

His "accuracy" at Hawaii was a product of having 3, 4, or 5 wide receivers running through poor secondaries. Someone was bound to get open--so open that he wouldn't have to make a good throw for a completion. Has he made good throws? Sure. Does he consistently put the ball in the right spot, making it easy for his receiver to catch the ball? No. He also lacks the zip to put the ball into tight coverage, which is something an NFL quarterback absolutely needs to be able to do. His low release point gets passes batted down at the line with surprising frequency. With a noodle arm like his, he can't afford to make slow decisions in the pocket, but he has publicly admitted that his reads leave something to be desired.

If that doesn't constitute a "poor passer," then what does???

And you see how well that is translating to the NFL.

I don't know where people get the idea Brennan is such an accurate passer. He's 13 of 29 this preseason with three bad interceptions. Against backup defenses.

His "accuracy" at Hawaii was a product of having 3, 4, or 5 wide receivers running through poor secondaries. Someone was bound to get open--so open that he wouldn't have to make a good throw for a completion. Has he made good throws? Sure. Does he consistently put the ball in the right spot, making it easy for his receiver to catch the ball? No. He also lacks the zip to put the ball into tight coverage, which is something an NFL quarterback absolutely needs to be able to do. His low release point gets passes batted down at the line with surprising frequency. With a noodle arm like his, he can't afford to make slow decisions in the pocket, but he has publicly admitted that his reads leave something to be desired.

If that doesn't constitute a "poor passer," then what does???

Come on, even I'm willing to admit Colt's accuracy is the one strength one Brennan has shined in, and I'm firmly a Campbell supporter and Matt Flynn "backup plan" shipper. Also, Timmy Chang had substantially lower completion percentage despite being in the same system.

Colt's arm isn't elite, but I'm not sure if he's breathing down Pennington's neck either. Maybe he could go duel Eli or Peyton.

After seeing Colt lead a TD drive after throwing a pick for a TD proved to me that he should be the guy at the #3 spot. I liked what I saw out of Chase, I just think Colt is better. I hope there is a way we can keep Colt and Chase both with the team if at all possible.

No, this makes sense. Let's keep a guy who effed up and then scored a touchdown in lieu of the guy who didn't eff up at all. While we're at it, let's re-sign Clark because maybe he'll do a better job the next time that he blocks, right? :doh:

:hysterical:Yes, he is awful at passing.

That td pass he made.....JC has such great touch on the long ball, and has completed so many of those in his career for touchdowns.:doh:

Or maybe it was his terrible passing in college that leads you to believe that?

Seriously, is there a farm somewhere that produces this?

Or maybe living too close to power lines?

You're attacking people, yet supporting the QB who was getting annhilated by second-team defenses.

Get real. Colt Brennan sucks. I will bet you a hundred dollars right now that no NFL team ever starts Colt Brennan for a non-exhibition game at any point in his career.

You won't take the bet because you know the truth.

ever see the guy play?

he had of 70+% comp % in college.....

dont tell me it was against weak wac teams.....70+% is impressive in 7 on 7 drills..... at any level

Georgia's secondary confused and annhilated him. The Ravens backup secondary confused and annhilated him. The Patriots backup secondary confused and annhilated him. He finally got a touchdown once the Pats had gotten to their third-string defense (none of whom will make the team).

Colt Brennan is an impressive college quarterback, nothing more, possibly less.

You're attacking people, yet supporting the QB who was getting annhilated by second-team defenses.

Get real. Colt Brennan sucks. I will bet you a hundred dollars right now that no NFL team ever starts Colt Brennan for a non-exhibition game at any point in his career.

Done. Anytime.

Make it $1,000.

I thought Brennan made the right decision on the pick he threw against the Patriot starters. What I thought was in error was the type of pass he threw.

Wrong. It was an abhorrent decision, one that should have cost him his roster spot.

It was no different than a jumped slant route. An error like that at Hawaii would have raised flags. Randle El wouldn't have made that throw, let alone Campbell, Collins, or Daniel.

I wish these QB debates could stop. It used to be fun to talk about until the posts got out of control and everybody got bent out of shape.

The last time i posted a week ago I was called racist names and then subsequently banned. I couldn't beleive it. Growing up i never had to deal with racism, and this was the first time....go figure. And that was for defending John Riggins.

Why are so many people making such a huge deal out of Colt Brennan throwing picks? The two guys above him on the depth chart have also thrown picks before, believe it or not. They have even done it in games that counted. They have even thrown interceptions that ended games. Brennan's throws in the past few games were terrible, but it's hardly fair to say they're indicative of his play as a whole.

Brennan had a great preseason last year, and now he made 3 bad throws this year so his play from 2008 never happened? His 33 yard TD on Friday never happened?

We have seen Daniel play for what, one quarter? That one quarter of good play should not supercede Brennan's 5 good games from last year, and his good plays from this year. If Daniel continues to play well this Thursday and in the next preseason, and Brennan plays poorly, then Daniel should get the job.

If everyone saying Brennan should be cut for his poor preseason this year applied the same standards to all our QBs, then Brennan should have been given the starting job last year since he outplayed our #1. And he even did it for more than one quarter. I certainly didn't think Brennan should have immediately supplanted Campbell after outplaying him in preseason.

I try not to have different standards for each of our players. When you apply double standards it's because you have an agenda.

Georgia's secondary confused and annhilated him. The Ravens backup secondary confused and annhilated him. The Patriots backup secondary confused and annhilated him. He finally got a touchdown once the Pats had gotten to their third-string defense (none of whom will make the team).

Colt Brennan is an impressive college quarterback, nothing more, possibly less.

Wrong on a number of levels. But keep the rant up, it's entertaining.

Here's the issue though. It's not just that Chase has had a more productive pre season than Colt, it's the fact that Chase is better prepared to play at this level than Colt. Let's face it, Chase had a much more expansive playbook playing in the Big 12 at Mizzou than Colt has ever seen in his life. They said 2 weeks ago that Colt is just now getting the full playbook while last year he got a watered down version. Chase came into camp with more experience and stronger Football IQ than Colt due to where the two played college ball. I believe that plays a big factor into all this. Chase was playing against Orakpo types while Colt was playing San Jose State. Nuff said..

Hail

Let's stick with a hundred.

How long do I have to wait until I can collect? Is five years reasonable?

I was going to suggest that you pick the MOD, we both wire up or paypal $1k to him within 24 hours, and we give it three seasons as the final cutoff if you are feeling so generous.

That bet is likely to be paid by the end of next season in your case.

Done. Anytime.

Make it $1,000.

Let's stick with a hundred.

How long do I have to wait until I can collect? Is five years reasonable?

I was going to suggest that you pick the MOD, we both wire up or paypal $1k to him within 24 hours, and we give it three seasons as the final cutoff if you are feeling so generous.

That bet is likely to be paid by the end of next season in your case.

:munchout:

Why are so many people making such a huge deal out of Colt Brennan throwing picks? The two guys above him on the depth chart have also thrown picks before, believe it or not. They have even done it in games that counted. They have even thrown interceptions that ended games. Brennan's throws in the past few games were terrible, but it's hardly fair to say they're indicative of his play as a whole.

The picks are a big deal because they are indicative of his shortcomings. They are a result of slow reads, poor decisions, and weak throws. He also makes other poor throws that do not result in interceptions, but the last two picks he has thrown demonstrate clearly the problems in his game.

Quarterbacks get second chances after throwing picks because they have other positive qualities that make coaches comfortable that bad throws will not be the norm over a full season of play. Their judgment has been rewarded by Jason Campbell, for example, who threw over 500 passes last year with only 6 interceptions, and has improved steadily each year in the league.

Brennan, on the other hand, lacks the physical attributes of a good NFL quarterback, and has not shown the mental attributes to make up for them in the way a guy like Drew Brees or Jeff Garcia has. On top of that, he appears to have regressed this preseason.

Meanwhile, Chase Daniel has come in as a rookie and responded favorably to Jim Zorn's QB coaching techniques, earning high praise from the coach and performing very well in his limited action. He has shown that he doesn't need a lot of reps in practice to translate his limited playing time into a success. He gets fewer reps, but Zorn has stressed that he makes them all count, and that showed against the Steelers. I'm sure at some point he will have some bumps in the road, but what we've seen so far is that he has the tools to overcome them.

Daniel is also only 22 years old. He has not yet reached the peak of his athletic years. Brennan is 26. He is as physically gifted now as he will ever be, and should be peaking as a quarterback. Instead, he is still struggling to hold onto a roster spot.

Finally, from a financial standpoint, it is always cheaper to keep a younger, undrafted guy than an older guy who was drafted.

Daniel seems preferable to Brennan in almost every way. I fail to understand why so many of you continue to support Brennan. Is it because it would be a feel-good story if he became a great player? I'd argue Daniel's got him beat there, too. Undersized, undrafted guy fights to make a roster and works his way up from the bottom? That story has already made multiple blockbuster movies. Advantage: Daniel.

I fully believe Colt Brennan has the connection with his teammates, has that respect and trust that a QB needs. ...

So what do you all think? Am I wrong in regards to the connection with his teammates?...

While it may or may not influence the FO, Colt is a true team player. He wins respect from his fellow players very naturally and sincerely. Even in a limited time team like his Senior Bowl outing- Colt was elected captain.

In show business, we call a quality performer who is considerate of his fellow actors "generous". Colt is generous and gracious to his teammates. Most of all, he is personally humble and driven to excel on the playing field. When a mistake occurs, he absorbs blame as leader of his unit. When there is success, he deflects praise away from himself and credits the unit, usually understating his role as "I did a few good things out there".

Again, I don't know if this will endear him to the FO but he has good qualities that I would like to see continue with the Redskins.

:point2sky

Wrong. It was an abhorrent decision, one that should have cost him his roster spot.

It was no different than a jumped slant route. An error like that at Hawaii would have raised flags. Randle El wouldn't have made that throw, let alone Campbell, Collins, or Daniel.

Please explain why a poor throw to an open receiver is a horrible decision.

Archived