Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Aldridge really have a shot

l!ghtbringr

I think there may be some surprise cuts this year. honestly, if we kept Mason instead of Betts, Alridge instead of Rock, and had DT run back KO's, would anybody be that stunned? RB and LB have become the positions to follow since Marko Mitchell seems to have locked up the #5 receiver spot.

I'm in the boat with the guy who said there is no way we cut both Betts and Rock.

You gotta remember, some years ago Betts had a good season, and Rock is a "True Redskin".

All kidding aside, if we DO happen to let both of them go, that really shows the improvement from the front office we've all been looking for. If we cut one, it doesn't necessarily mean same-old-same-old. If we keep both, it's going for old reliable. Personally, I'd keep Rock and cut Betts. Rock can get the job done on returns and he's really not that much of a dropoff from Betts nowadays, who just always looks unimpressive.

He probably doesn't. There is a possible (one) spot left for the 3 competing RB's. One spot for Mason, Aldridge and Dorsey. Right now, I'd say that Mason has the best chances. No way does Snyder cut both Betts and Cartwright, I'd bet money on that.

Agreed. The RB's will be Portis, Betts, and Cartwright. Mason will be on the practice squad. And Alridge will get cut. He just didn't show enough in the preseason to justify him being on the roster.

Id like to see Alridge make the team, but wouldnt mind Mason making it either. Win/Win for me. I think either of these guys would be an upgrade over Rock... and I am a supporter of Rock in most cases.

There is just too much potential in Alridge and or Mason, and I feel that we have seen what Rock can do and its not much different then betts... minus the fumbles for the most part.

Id rather get rid of Betts but that wont happen, but we need to get rid of someone to make room for one of these guys... I think that makes Rock the odd man out.

Id like to see Alridge make the team, but wouldnt mind Mason making it either. Win/Win for me. I think either of these guys would be an upgrade over Rock... and I am a supporter of Rock in most cases.

There is just too much potential in Alridge and or Mason, and I feel that we have seen what Rock can do and its not much different then betts... minus the fumbles for the most part.

Id rather get rid of Betts but that wont happen, but we need to get rid of someone to make room for one of these guys... I think that makes Rock the odd man out.

Not a chance. We can't cut Betts because we've reworked his contract enough so that he is basically a lifetime Skin like Samuels, Portis, and Moss. Alridge hasn't shown enough because of the injuries and Mason doesn't have any special teams value. So because Rock is the known quantity he will stay.

I say cut betts and cartwright, and make room for dorsey, aldridge, and mason

Not only is that what they should do but it also makes the team younger at a position where we are kind of old for as far as NFL standards go. Im with you on that one.

Mason and Dorsey have seen significant playing time this preseason and to be honest Dorsey has done nothing special. He is average or below average at KR, PR, and at RB. We don't see any nifty moves or burst of speed or anything. As for Mason its almost the same thing, nothing special enough to cut Rock for the spot. The coaches are giving these two guys opportunities to show something but it looks like time is running out for both of them. As for AA he will have one last shot next week when the starters will hardly play. To tell you the truth at this point I would keep Rock and have AA second rather than Mason or Dorsey who are below average players.

I would trade Portis, cut Rock, and Keep Betts, Mason, Dorsey and Aldridge.

Of course you would, but that is why you don't work for an NFL team.

PORTIS IS the cog that will make this offense go, get over you love for Betts. BTW, why do you think they were looking so hard at Mason last night. Notice he scored from close in? HE hit the hole so much faster than Betts it is not even comparable.

Aldridge is the odd man out this year, and he has "practice squad" written all over him. I don't want to see Betts leave, but it may be time, especially considering his age. Cartwright doesn't offer much on offense but is a solid special teamer. I love the guy's spirit, but ideally, you don't want to use a roster spot on a pure special teamer other than the kicker, punter, and long snapper.

Aldridge's injury trouble this preseason keeps him from making the final 53, I think, unless he absolutely goes off next week. I don't think we'll keep four backs, but that would be the only way he gets a shot.

I would trade Portis, cut Rock, and Keep Betts, Mason, Dorsey and Aldridge.

There you go.

If last night showed anything.....it is that we have wasted a ridiculous amount of money on Portis over the years, for a spot that is neither extremely important, or difficult to replace.

Anthony Alridge Looks Fast In A Game

I've mentioned before just how fast Anthony Alridge is. (Brief summary: very.) And I think I've mentioned how fidgety he is, how he looks fast even when he's standing still.

That fidgetiness didn't serve him very well when he was in a walking boot for the last two weeks. Every time I saw him, he seemed frustrated, convinced that he'd get out of the boot at any second and be just as fast as he was beforehand.

I was dubious, to say the least. But he carried the ball nine times last night for 49 yards, an impressive 5.4 yard average, and looked on the football field an awful lot like he did against those fourteen-year-olds a few months back. And he couldn't have been happier just to get out on the field.

Alridge's emergence, along with solid preseason performances from Dominique Dorsey and Marcus Mason, leaves Coach Zorn in a bit of a quandary.

http://blog.redskins.com/2009/08/29/anthony-alridge-looks-fast-in-game-as-well/ - link for rest

Hello, Anthony Alridge!: I've been waiting to see this guy all preseason. The former University of Houston star -- as proud U of H alum Nantz noted several times -- has elite speed. He's only about 5-foot-9, but as you saw Friday night, no one can seem to get a clean shot on him. I know he was going against the Patriots' backups, but Alridge still popped off the screen. I hope the guy gets a shot. Last year, the Redskins didn't have enough depth at running back. But with Mason, Dominique Dorsey, Betts and Alridge, they look a lot better this season.

Of course you would, but that is why you don't work for an NFL team.

Actually, I'm planning to purchase the team from Mr. Snyder ... and implement all the changes I've announced on this Board and then some.

Portis is a worthless POS. I know ... you worship him ... but did you catch his sideline demeanor during the game? Its killing him inside that JC has become the face of the franchise.

The FO would be insane to let young guys like Mason, Alridge and Dorsey slip thru their fingers. BTW, if Alridge sticks ... Shanny can't be too far behind.

Archived