Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Aldridge really have a shot

l!ghtbringr

In Zorn's shoes, I look at Betts with a 4.1 average as a Redskin, a top-notch receiver who has proven he can do in it the NFL and I'm looking for more ways to get him involved in the offense. I'm not looking to cut him.

Alridge and Dorsey have done nothing so far to replace anyone. They get another chance in the next game.

Mason's eight carries for 30 yards (3.75 YPC) and two catches for 20 in a preseason game is not enough to replace Betts. It might be enough to replace Rock if Devin can handle kick returns -- if I'm Jim Zorn.

Betts may have a 4.1 career average, but he only averaged 3.4 yards last season. And 3.6 the season before that. That's not very good. He's entering his 8th season and has already turned 30. If his best days are not already behind him, they soon will be.

I do agree that Betts is an excellent receiver coming out of the backfield.

Mason's average may not have been stellar against the Pats, but he demonstrated again that he is a hard nosed runner. And he was able to score from the 1. Betts is often stuffed around the goal line, like in the Steelers preseason game.

I guess the point is. Do Betts and Rock contributing anything that the combo of Mason/Dorsey/Alridge can't deliver? Out with the old, in with the new.

Mason has shown us a little , but what makes you think Dorsey and Alridge are NFL players? Before you throw out the old, don't you want to see something from their replacements?

The Jags game is their last chance.

Betts may have a 4.1 career average, but he only averaged 3.4 yards last season. And 3.6 the season before that. That's not very good. He's entering his 8th season and has already turned 30. If his best days are not already behind him, they soon will be.

When it seems apparent that we have someone better, he should be replaced. Meanwhile, he's Zorn's best RB option on passing downs.

Mason's average may not have been stellar against the Pats, but he demonstrated again that he is a hard nosed runner. And he was able to score from the 1. Betts is often stuffed around the goal line, like in the Steelers preseason game.

Betts isn't "often stuffed" because his opportunities have been rare. As for Mason, we know what he did on ONE CARRY for a TD. I'm sure the coaches didn't make up their minds on one carry.

Betts isn't "often stuffed" because his opportunities have been rare. As for Mason, we know what he did on ONE CARRY for a TD. I'm sure the coaches didn't make up their minds on one carry.

Maybe it would be more fair to say, "more often than not". Betts DOES appear soft or indecisive in short yardage situations. I'm not saying we need to put in Mason in those situations, but we would be way better off using Portis than Betts.

Betts success rate in goal line situations has not been good, limited opportunities or not.

Granted, one carry shouldn't make up the coaches minds, but at least Mason was able to get low and punch it in.

By the way, Betts is only averaging 1.8 yards/attempt this preseason, on 8 carries.

I do think Betts is an asset catching the ball out of the backfield. He is a liability as a pass blocker, though.

Archived