Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Aldridge really have a shot

l!ghtbringr

im thinking we'll get a chance to see more of him because I know Portis wont play or play a series, with Mason's bruised ribs he doesnt need to play, Rock and Betts need to get healthy so we should see little of him so that should leave loads of playing time for Dorsey and Alridge

I think this is the hardest decision to make this year. I think Alridge needs to be on the practice squad. He just hasn't proved anything yet but it a shame he hasn't had the chance to.

I think its time to let Rock go and possibly Betts. That will be tough because both of these guys are blue collar Redskins.

Here would be my 4 RB's. I wanted 6 WR's but only Mitchell proved himself so I will go 4 RB's and and 5 WR.

1. Portis

2. Betts

3. Mason

4. Dorsey (used on PR and KR, and 3rd and longs)

Alridge to practice squad...

Despite all the man-crushes, Mason is on his way out. He probably is the best RB of the scrubs, but what we REALLY need is an ugrade at punt returns. I am SOOOO sick of watching the Randle El dance. He's a versatile threat on offense, but he's been a huge disappointment for me at PR. I think it ought to come down to who is better as a returner, Aldridge or Dorsey. Aldridge seems like more of a threat.

Just to clear Morph, are you suggesting that turning 30 and being a vet is a reason to keep him?

I'm pretty sure that cutting Betts would also save us cap room next year.

I think Mason, Alridge and Dorsey all get extensive playing time in the next game, and if Alridge lights it up he may make the team, if not he goes to the PS. Mason has enough tape at this point. Either he's going to make it or not, and that outcome probably has as much to do with the coach's assessment of other players as it does Mason's performance.

In Zorn's shoes, I look at Betts with a 4.1 average as a Redskin, a top-notch receiver who has proven he can do in it the NFL and I'm looking for more ways to get him involved in the offense. I'm not looking to cut him.

Alridge and Dorsey have done nothing so far to replace anyone. They get another chance in the next game.

Mason's eight carries for 30 yards (3.75 YPC) and two catches for 20 in a preseason game is not enough to replace Betts. It might be enough to replace Rock if Devin can handle kick returns -- if I'm Jim Zorn.

Aldridge has some serious speed...I felt if given a chance he can take it to the house on any play and I am sure the coaches saw that too....

I hope we keep him and mason to back up portis and keep dorsey for ST. To me rock and betts got to go....they are old and slow.

He's got a shot, but a long shot to making the team. Shanahan told Vinny that he was the fastest running back that he had ever seen. Although I'd like to see him make the squad, I seriously doubt that we will cut Cartright. My reasoning is that we already lost Thrash and K. Campbell from special teams and we need some leadership in that area.

I'd love to see Dorsey/Aldridge or Thomas returning kicks so we could atleast be a threat to return a K/P once in a while. Thomas and Dorsey both provide this threat.

Another reason I feel it is along shot is because of Mason. Mason has outperformed Dorsey in their little time on the field and has scored the only touchdown of the three. It really depends on if we carry a 4th rb, but only one of the three new backs (Aldridge, Dorsey or Mason) will make the team.

I don't. But let them show some football instincts and then get back to me. We aren't training for a track meet.

how about the fact that they are in contention to play on an nfl team? that has to count for something, right?

i think we should go with cp, betts, and mason.... i really think rock's in trouble... that's why we saw so much of him and mason the other night... coaches were trying to size them up against each other

Considering all the problems Betts seems to have scoring in short yardage, I think there are some questions there for Betts.

I think Ladell's "problem" is a myth, but it doesn't really matter. We don't have a back who does everything well, so Zorn will have to use them according to the situation. We don't have a RB on our roster who is better than Ladell if Z wants to throw the ball a lot.

how about the fact that they are in contention to play on an nfl team? that has to count for something, right?

Not really. It might just mean that they are only being considered for an NFL roster because of their speed. They need to show that they have the NFL caliber instincts and toughness as runners.

i think we should go with cp, betts, and mason.... i really think rock's in trouble... that's why we saw so much of him and mason the other night... coaches were trying to size them up against each other

If D. Thomas impresses as a better kick returner than Rock, Mason has a better chance to make the squad.

Ladell's fumbling problem might be a myth. His softness in short yardage situations, in mu opinion, isn't. It was really nice to see mason pick a spot, and hammer in low and hard for the TD the other night.

In the receiving game, you have to think that Alridge or Dorsey could give us what Betts gives us, but also serve as a change of pace back, which we don't currently have.

If we were definitely going to release Betts or Rock, we would have done it in the first wave of cuts so they had time to catch on elsewhere. Since we didn't, we are either still evaluating all of our options, or they are already safely on the roster.

Just to clear Morph, are you suggesting that turning 30 and being a vet is a reason to keep him?

No.

I was just stating the fact that Betts is entering his 8th season and is already 30.

If anything it should indicate that his skills may soon begin to deteriorate. That's not to say that a RB can not be effective after 30. But time is not on his side.

At this point a younger, cheaper Mason/Dorsey/Alridge has to be strongly considered to replace Betts. Or Rock.

Archived