Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Legendary Redskins GM Bobby Beathard on Campbell-Cutler trade

REDSKINS HISTORIAN

As a known JC supporter, I'm not sure why you felt we'd be "disappointed" at what Beathard had to say there...(???)...

I used the word "disappointed" because he obviously didn't sing Campbell's praises, and he would have tried to acquire Cutler in a trade. Personally, I was against the trade. Cutler has a reputation of being immature, and his statistics aren't out of this world. I also think we would have given up too much for him. You've got to give JC one more season as a Redskin to prove himself. The collapse in the second half of 2008 wasn't entirely his fault. The O-line and Portis were banged up down the stretch, while the No. 4 defense nevertheless produced a dearth of sacks and turnovers.

I used the word "disappointed" because he obviously didn't sing Campbell's praises, and he would have tried to acquire Cutler in a trade. Personally, I was against the trade. Cutler has a reputation of being immature, and his statistics aren't out of this world. I also think we would have given up too much for him. You've got to give JC one more season as a Redskin to prove himself. The collapse in the second half of 2008 wasn't entirely his fault. The O-line and Portis were banged up down the stretch, while the No. 4 defense nevertheless produced a dearth of sacks and turnovers.

Eh, I didn't hear anything Beathard said that would be disappointing in my eyes...he basically said he loved Cutler as a QB and understood why the Skins would at least put feelers out about what it would take to acquire him...that you can do that and still feel comfortable with Campbell if all the talk never makes it anywhere...and that Campbell will need to find a way to get past any negative feelings he may have felt stemming from the whole thing.

I didn't really hear any questions asking Beathard "What do you think of Jason Campbell as a starting QB in this league?"...so I wasn't surprised he didn't give any real assessment of any kind about Campbell.

After two years in the NFL, he played in the World League for the Orlando Thunder (NFL Europe) . He was replaced as a starter during the 1990 season for the Skins.

Lets get back to the subject of this thread, please.

Gladly, I wasn't the one who posted about past players and got it off track to begin with.

Bobby Beathard was a great GM of the Redskins, and I respect him tremendously.

He did a good job with the Chargers: Junior Seau, Nate Lewis, Terrell Fletcher

Bobby Beathard's success with the Chargers was his choice in coaches, not his choice in players. Although Junior Seau, Stan Humphries, and Natrone Means were awesome choices, as well, hiring Bobby Ross and Bill Arnsparger were Beathard's most important moves.

Ryan Leaf, now that was his all time low~

EVERYBODY and his mother thinks that Jay Cutler is an upgrade of Campbell. At least until Jason comes out and flings about 20 TD's and leads the Skins to a playoff spot. Last years 13 TD passes was extremely inadequate and does not deserve much respect.

Campbell missed a bunch of throws that could have been TD's. He can eliminate all the negatives by just completing passes for more than 4 yards and stop underthrowing and overthrowing wide-open receivers who get behind the secondary.

Snyderrato did the right thing here...

They thought cutler was an upgrade, but they kept their offer fair. I'm sure they could have given up the farm and found a way to outbid Chicago... But they didn't, once the price got too high they backed out...

All i'm saying is If this was 1999, Snyder would have given up anything to get Cutler... But, in this instance they clearly showed prudence, and i believe that is how most of the leagues' front offices see it too...

Thanks for posting that clip, RH. Stuff like that adds to the value of this board.

From the some man who brought you Tracy Rocker, Wally klein and Max Zendejas!

Do you really want to take the position that Bobby Beathard sucked as an evaluator of NFL talent, which is what your post implies? So come out and make your argument then, with something else besides listing three players out of the hundreds he acquired over the years.

The thing is Bobby Beathard would've found out how to get talent without over compensating like the current Skins brass. Beathard was a GM that got the Chiefs, Skins and Chargers to the Superbowl. If Snyder was gonna over compensate for anything, it should've been Beathard. The man was a master talent evaluator. He was a real GM. I miss the days when the Skins would make sure the trenches on both sides were always up to parr. Thats why the Skins always stayed competitive. It almost never mattered who the Skilled position players were. Skill Players came and went but the trenches were always the main reason the SKins stayed competitive

After two years in the NFL, he played in the World League for the Orlando Thunder (NFL Europe) . He was replaced as a starter during the 1990 season for the Skins.

Lets get back to the subject of this thread, please.

Sorry. Just can't let this go. You make it sound like he was replaced because of poor play. He was replaced because he had a torn bicep and a leg injury. And this was 20 years ago. There wasn't the micro surgery available then for these type of injuries that is available today. :chair:

The thing is Bobby Beathard would've found out how to get talent without over compensating like the current Skins brass. Beathard was a GM that got the Chiefs, Skins and Chargers to the Superbowl. If Snyder was gonna over compensate for anything, it should've been Beathard. The man was a master talent evaluator. He was a real GM. I miss the days when the Skins would make sure the trenches on both sides were always up to parr. Thats why the Skins always stayed competitive. It almost never mattered who the Skilled position players were. Skill Players came and went but the trenches were always the main reason the SKins stayed competitive

I would add to this excellent post by saying that Bethard was a master of the "value" pick...even more so than his 1st round picks (although he did great with May, Monk and D. Green).

That being said, evaluation of talent may not translate to being a good NFL player...people already brought up Leaf, so I won't belabor the point.

I do respect Bethard's opinion in the matter...but he has been retired for a few years, so I don't know how "in-depth" he stays with player evaluation --he's obviously seen Cutler enough in the NFC west to form an opinion, but I don't know how thorough it is, in comparison to when he was in the game.

I remember that he said on the Riggins Show that he liked us bring in T.J. Duckett a couple of years ago. And we remember how that turned out.

The only time I actually agreed with trying to sell the farm on a player was with the cutler trade. I still wonder what exactly happened in those 5 mins for the broncos to change their mind

Its not just giving away Campbell and some draft picks. It was Campbell, Kevin Barnes, Brian Orakpo, and another player to be determined. Next year's draft class is going to be sexy. We've got a very good shot at landing another impact player like Orakpo even if we pick at the end of the first. Cutler is not a good return for all of that.

From the some man who brought you Tracy Rocker, Wally klein and Max Zendejas!

:hysterical: Yea, he had his share of duds as well as heroes. To be fair, almost all GMs (or those who last more then 2-3 years) have their ups and downs. BB had a lot more ups then downs, particularly in the later rounds, but his big deal was landing Gibbs really.

A few points of clarification (hopefully) - if I'm wrong, someone can correct me.

The thing is Bobby Beathard would've found out how to get talent without over compensating like the current Skins brass. Beathard was a GM that got the Chiefs, Skins and Chargers to the Superbowl. ...

I think you mean the Dolphins (not the Chiefs), Skins and Chargers

Rocker was selected to the 1990 NFL All Rookie team. ...

Was Beathard still with the 'skins in '90? I don't think he was.

A few points of clarification (hopefully) - if I'm wrong, someone can correct me.

I think you mean the Dolphins (not the Chiefs), Skins and Chargers

Was Beathard still with the 'skins in '90? I don't think he was.

Bobby Beathard is a former general manager in the National Football League. Over the course of his 38 years, his teams competed in seven Super Bowls (winning four times), beginning with the Kansas City Chiefs in 1966, Miami Dolphins in 1972 and 1973, Washington Redskins in 1982, 1983, and 1987, and the San Diego Chargers in 1994.

Beathard first joined pro football in 1963 as a part-time scout for the Kansas City Chiefs. He left the Chiefs briefly to scout for the American Football League and returned to Kansas City full-time after the AFL-NFL merger in 1966. He earned his first championship ring as a member of the 1966 Chiefs organization.

Beathard served as a scout for the Atlanta Falcons from 1968 through 1971. In 1972, Beathard was named director of player personnel for the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins won the following two Super Bowls. In 1978, the Washington Redskins named Beathard general manager. During his tenure in Washington, Beathard and head coach Joe Gibbs led the Redskins to three Super Bowls and two championships. In addition, the 1991/1992 championship team for the Redskins was primarily composed of players that Beathard had brought to the Redskins. Prominent Beathard draft picks for the Redskins include Art Monk, Mark May, Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley, Charlie Brown, Darrell Green, Charles Mann, and Gary Clark.

Beathard retired as general manager of the San Diego Chargers in 2002 after 10 seasons with the club. In just his third season in San Diego, the organization won its first AFC Western Division championship in more than a decade and, after five years, appeared in its first Super Bowl.

First, anyone here who even hints at BB being a less that HOF GM is full of something. He knows more about football, especially talent evaluation, than ANYONE who posts here on ES, BY FAR!

Second, I agree with his assertion that Cutler would be an upgrade, but I also believe that the Broncos were asking far too much - noone will ever confuse Cutler with Peyton Manning in his prime.

Lastly, to the poster who said they would not trade Orakpo for "anyone in the league", I hope you didn't mean it. Just off the top of my head, here are the players I'd trade for him, straight up, right now: Adrian Peterson, Jared Allen, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers. I"m sure there are plenty more.

Bobby Beathard was a great GM of the Redskins, and I respect him tremendously.

That being said, why would you give up so much in terms of draft picks for one player. Just so people are clear, They wanted Brian Orakpo, Jeremy Jarmon, Jason Campbell, and our 1st round pick next year.

Right now I am not sure if I would trade Brian Orakpo for any player in the league right now, let alone the rest of the deal. It was just plain too costly, and I am very glad that they didnt do it.

I'm assuming that you added the part that I bolded for effect and that you really do not mean it (I hope). I love having Orakpo on our team but I can think of at least a half a dozen players that I would trade him for. Most of them are quarterbacks.

Sorry. Just can't let this go. You make it sound like he was replaced because of poor play. He was replaced because he had a torn bicep and a leg injury. And this was 20 years ago. There wasn't the micro surgery available then for these type of injuries that is available today. :chair:

So, are you all going steady or what? Let it go Bro.

Archived