Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Minn. Vikings Locker Room facing 'schism' over Favre's arrival

StillUnknown

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4424660

What two knowledgeable NFL people described earlier this week as an "issue" in the Minnesota Vikings locker room was described Wednesday by a third informed person as a "schism."

The issue is quarterback Brett Favre, and the schism is the preference that certain Vikings players have for specific quarterbacks.

Sources with knowledge of the Vikings locker-room dynamics say some players believe Tarvaris Jackson gives the Vikings the best chance to win, while other players believe Sage Rosenfels gives the team the best chance to win -- which is one of the new twists to this storyline. In the words of one NFL source, Favre has "little support" in the locker room as Minnesota prepares for its Monday night preseason game against the Houston Texans.

Favre, who signed only last week, struggled in his one preseason appearance but could easily win backers with improved performance and victories. But as it now stands, one NFL source said these locker-room issues stem back to long before the team signed Favre, and it's possible they will not be going away any time soon unless Favre can completely silence them with his play.

I think it's only natural for now. If he plays well, nobody will care he showed up half way through the preseason.

if he comes out the first game and throws a couple of his patented "what the hell was he thinking?" INT's, things could get very interesting in Minny. lol

if he comes out the first game and throws a couple of his patented "what the hell was he thinking?" INT's, things could get very interesting in Minny. lol

....or on the sidelines...I can just envision the defensive players slamming thier helmets down in disgust...AHHHHH!, one can only hope.

I've watched both Rosenfels and Jackson both play on a few occasions.

How anyone can suggest either one of those guys gives the team a better chance to win besides Brett Favre is not thinking rationally.

Listen, I don't think #4 will allow the team to play in February, but I also believe he is the best option.

Nobody should be surprised by this.

I don't remember what reporter commented on it, but when Favre was signed, the reporter basically said it now comes down to nobody in the Vikings' locker room being able to take Brad Childress seriously when he says anything.

We pretty much know Jared Allen isn't happy with Favre being there. All summer he was on TV saying if Favre hadn't signed by OTAs, he didn't want him there at all. He didn't have a personal problem with Favre, but his view was that it's better to start the season with the guys you've been working with all off-season, not an added piece at the last minute. I know he's said nicer things about Brett lately, but that's certainly more PR nonsense than anything else.

And considering Allen's one of the defensive leaders of that team, I'm sure he'll be ecstatic if Favre has a game with no TDs and 2 or 3 INTs.

Nobody should be surprised by this.

I don't remember what reporter commented on it, but when Favre was signed, the reporter basically said it now comes down to nobody in the Vikings' locker room being able to take Brad Childress seriously when he says anything.

We pretty much know Jared Allen isn't happy with Favre being there. All summer he was on TV saying if Favre hadn't signed by OTAs, he didn't want him there at all. He didn't have a personal problem with Favre, but his view was that it's better to start the season with the guys you've been working with all off-season, not an added piece at the last minute. I know he's said nicer things about Brett lately, but that's certainly more PR nonsense than anything else.

And considering Allen's one of the defensive leaders of that team, I'm sure he'll be ecstatic if Favre has a game with no TDs and 2 or 3 INTs.

You know why Brad Childress is hard to take serious? As Colin Cowherd would say he looks like your local dentist!

Joking aside...I hate to bring race into this, but part of me honestly believes that the majority of the African american players, particulary on offense want Jackson to be the starter. Some of them feel that the organization "bush leagued" by basically waiting around for Favre.

I'm sure Childress and company constantly preached competition throughout OTA's, and Brett's decision several weeks ago NOT to come back. Suddenly, Brett makes a phone call, and he's the starter the next day.

I'm sure a lot of guys in that lockeroom don't like how it all unfolded. I still think ultimatley Brett Farve gives you the best chance to win.

I'd want Sage. He's still young enough and mobile enough to survive in their pocket, yet can pass better than TJ. They did well with Gus Frerotte last season and Sage is close to that type of QB with less age and more mobility. Bringing in Favre was a mistake and I look forward to him getting blasted by the Packers D on MNF. And as a personal favor I hope my old college neighbor, Mario Williams (GO WOLFPACK), gives him a good whoopin.

Childress showed how desperate he was by doing the Favre signing. There's no way he couldn't know that it was going to create tension in the locker room. Even if Jackson isn't very good, he was there from March to present, busting his butt and working hard...and then low and behold, in comes Favre after OTAs, training camp, hasn't had to really do any work yet and brings the media circus with him. I can definitely see why TJ's team mates would be angry.

However, as it's been echoed before, if Favre wins games, things will be peachy. If he starts blowing games with bonehead interceptions, things could get ugly...and fast.

I don't think I'll root harder for anyone else to fail this season than Favre.

I can't wait to see the mutiny that occurs when he does.

Agreed.

I don't care about the Vikings one way or another.

But yeah, I'd love to see him fail miserably and have the Minnesota fans turn on him by week 8. And then have him wind up on the bench.

The only thing sweeter then Favre failing would be Romo sits to pee failing.

But honestly, it's gotten to the point where the difference isn't much.

I genuinely hope Favre throws 30 INTs ths year. And then goes into hiding for the next 5 years when he gets into the HOF because of an above average career.

No surprise here.

If Childress doesn't start off red hot and make a significant run in the playoffs, then he should be fired after this season. I hate advocating an action like that but he screwed this thing up from the beginning. It doesn't bother me either way how they do this year but right is right and wrong is wrong. :helmet:

Agreed.

I don't care about the Vikings one way or another.

But yeah, I'd love to see him fail miserably and have the Minnesota fans turn on him by week 8. And then have him wind up on the bench.

brett's ego would never allow him to accept being benched

i guarantee he would say he had another injury then retire before childress (if he had the intestinal fortitude, which i doubt) benches him

Archived