Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Devin Thomas sliding down depth chart?

fdarugar

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/26/devin-thomas-sliding-down-depth-chart/

Good thing Kelly and Mitchell are showing some promise. Or else we would have to throw El in there again. Its so hard to say why DT has been struggling especially because him and JC worked out together in the offseason.

Something in that article worried about DT worried me yesterday. Something along the lines of Smoot saying DT talks alot for a guy that doesn't make any catches during practice.

Im rooting for Mitchell and I have never really liked "The Invisible Man" aka Devin Thomas. he is largeely invisible on game day, and as far as Im concerned... the second coming of Taylor Jacobs.

My big knock on Kelly has always been the brittle knees. I think they will be a problem at some point this season as well, but from what I have seen he looks sharp and willing to come across the middle to make catches. That is exactly what we need. The job was Thomas's to lose, and it looks like he is succeeding in that.

Under the circumstances, I don't think it's bad news. He's being pushed down the depth chart, he's not exactly being demoted because he's bad. Big difference.

There can only be one WR at each level of the depth chart. If Kelly and Mitchell play well, someone has to be "demoted" right?

If Kelly was still hurt and Mitchell was playing like a 7th rounder and there was talk that El was holding onto the #2 spot, then it would be bad news. Personally, I don't care which of those 3 young guys takes the reins...they've all played well at various times since training camp began and I think they are going to make up our WR corps for a while.

Under the circumstances, I don't think it's bad news. He's being pushed down the depth chart, he's not exactly being demoted because he's bad. Big difference.

I agree. We have to remember that Thomas has drawn strong praise early this year. He has come to a bit of a plateau at this juncture while the other two are continually doing better.

Its not that Thomas is doing bad, he is just not doing enough to hold that top spot opposite Moss. He will come around.

I honestly don't care as long as just ONE of these guys becomes a full time contributor. I can't even remember the last time we had a dual threat on the outside running down field.

Come on Malcolm, Devin and Marko!!!

Agreed. This is why we went after both Malcolm and Devin. If Marko pans out, then that's just gravy IMO. :)

I'm still counting on Devin contributing. This guy has some real talent and according to reports he put in a lot of time this offseason. I'm not going to really judge him until we see a few games of the regular season. I think that if that deep ball that Campbell threw to Kelly had been to Thomas he'd have gotten it because they worked together so much this offseason. Thats one of the problems I've had with Moss since he's been here - he doesn't stay here in the offseason so it makes it harder for him to develop chemistry with a QB.

i think this is great news...

DT has future potential, but really has a small amount of actual expeirience.

Kelly and Mitchell look to obviously be more polished recievers...

so awesome.. get Kelly and Mitchell in there.. (Mitchell being a bonus we didn't know we'd get)... and let DT keep developing.

btw...

dont read into Fred Smoot taking trash on DT... they are always going at each other (in good fun)... DT brought a wheel chair in and tried to get Smoot to sit in it. (calling him old)

There can only be one WR at each level of the depth chart. If Kelly and Mitchell play well, someone has to be "demoted" right?

If Kelly was still hurt and Mitchell was playing like a 7th rounder and there was talk that El was holding onto the #2 spot, then it would be bad news. Personally, I don't care which of those 3 young guys takes the reins...they've all played well at various times since training camp began and I think they are going to make up our WR corps for a while.

just hope that these 3 push each other for the next half decade

Exactly. Art Monk > Gary Clark > Ricky Sanders, right? But are Sanders/Clark bad because Monk is a god? No.

Yes, it's a big analogy, but you see where I'm going with this.

He had one good season in college.

Against very questionable talent. He was a longshot from the start.

A wild gamble.

DeSean Jackson was on board when we picked Thomas and Boozie. Too bad our draft board was based on taking the tallest athlete available.

We did the same thing when we picked 50/50 over Santana.

Archived