Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Mike Williams is mental

themurf

williams082609.jpg

photo by Brian Murphy

Unquestionably, the feel-good story of 2009 for the Washington Redskins is offensive tackle “Big” Mike Williams. After being out of the league for more than three years, Williams was given one last chance to prove he’s still NFL worthy.

When he came into our lives, the man affectionately known as BMW weighed in at more than 450 lbs. Since then, he’s dropped more than 100 lbs. (basically the equivalent of a supermodel holding a fat baby) and shown he’ll do whatever is necessary to reward the ‘Skins for giving him this opportunity.

Although he didn’t play against Pittsburgh last week due to an ankle injury, we caught up with Williams to check in on the big guy. As always, he was a pleasure to chat with.

Hey Mike, we know you’re anxious to get back out there on the field. How’s everything coming along?

“We’re pushing for this week and it’s looking very good for the New England game,” Williams said.

Preseason or not, we know you want to be out there. What do you do on the sidelines for three hours when you know you’re not going to play?

“Golly,” he said. “I just try to encourage guys on the field. I also make sure I know what the calls are while I’m watching the guys on the field and go through mental reps throughout the game. We’re going to play New England, and they run a 3-4 too, so their base defense is a lot like Pittsburgh’s. So it would be wise and veteran-like to get out there and pay attention … and also get some rehab in too.”

When you’re talking about taking mental reps, what does that entail?

“Going through the plays and blocking schemes,” Williams said. “You know, we can see what formations the defense is in – are they in base, in nickel? – and just kind of going through your steps and your assignments. It’s just like you’re picturing yourself in the game. If you see a linebacker shift or walk up to the line late, what do you do within the time before the ball snaps? That’s the kind of stuff you go through in your mind.”

So did you have a good mental game against the Steelers?

(Laughs). “Yeah, I had a good mental game,” he said. “Of course, it’s a little different when you’ve got the bullets flying at you, but you’re just doing it to make sure that you’re not losing a step because you’re not playing. You’ve got to get your mental reps.”

Click here for the full article.

Good stuff Murph. I still think BMW will be able to contribute if Samuels or Heyer has to miss time.

But, did he really say "Golly"? Or was that June Cleaver-in-"Airplane"-style jive translation of some other word?

Yes sir. He said it. Honestly, I couldn't make that up if I tried.

He may be mental, but he needs to get physical; his coaches are tired of waiting:

"I'm about to the point where I'm tired of talking about this every week," Williams said, discussing his latest injury as he walked off the field this week.

And Bugel will get tired of waiting.

"I think the nagging injury, at one time you have to say, 'I'm playing.' Take an aspirin. Take an Alka-Seltzer. Let it dissolve. Play," Bugel said. "I wake up every morning hurting from head to toe. This is a violent game, you're going to be hurting."

Source

The thing about Mike Williams is that he is injury prone. This is just a fact folks.

I know this is a feel good story, we are all rooting for him, I hope he plays Friday night and even more, I hope he does well. BUT...he is injury prone. Just go over his history. Ankle, back, problems contributed to his first QUIT FOOTBALL go around. Now more ankle problems. The guy is HUGE and all that weight during his life has put stress on various parts of his body which are obviously susceptible to breaking down.

Put him at guard where he can just fall on somebody.

He may be mental, but he needs to get physical; his coaches are tired of waiting:

Source

Not a good sign for Williams that Bugel is getting exasperated with him.

Wrap that ankle up and pancake some Patriots on Friday, big guy, or you'll wind up back in Texas or sleeping unemployed on Dockery's couch again. Don't let us down.

I do like MW, and although I was hopeful, I gues I never really thought he would make an impact this year. Maybe we can sign him to the practice squad and keep working with him....?

As a veteran with several years on an active NFL roster, he's not eligible for the practice squad.

Not a good sign for Williams that Bugel is getting exasperated with him.

Wrap that ankle up and pancake some Patriots on Friday, big guy, or you'll wind up back in Texas or sleeping unemployed on Dockery's couch again. Don't let us down.

After losing all that weight that quickly, I know a lot of his strength is sapped. I hope he can keep that weight in check while increasing strength, stamina, and flexibilty. That is the hard part.

Anyone want to lend him their P90X DVDs?

The whole Mike Williams situation is "Much Ado About Nothing" IMO.

Stephon Heyer is a rock solid RG and he's our starter. Period. I think we all should have a firm grasp on the idea that you need a whole slue of OL in this league and this division in particular. Mike will have plenty of time to get healthy and get strong.

The idea is to have a bunch of guys that can step in not get there name called by commentators all game long. We are closer to that goal than many people think...

HAIL

Good stuff Murph. I still think BMW will be able to contribute if Samuels or Heyer has to miss time.

But, did he really say "Golly"? Or was that June Cleaver-in-"Airplane"-style jive translation of some other word?

That was a red flag to me too. :hysterical:

j/k (sort of)

I think we all should have a firm grasp on the idea that you need a whole slue of OL in this league and this division in particular. Mike will have plenty of time to get healthy and get strong.

The idea is to have a bunch of guys that can step in not get there name called by commentators all game long. We are closer to that goal than many people think...

HAIL

I agree, and hope we are both right especially with your last sentence!

I really couldn't be pulling for this guy anymore. I admire what he's done to prove himself. But, like everyone is saying, this is still very much a work in progress. However, I really hope that Mike makes the team b/c I think he's going to be able to contibute.

Losing 100 pounds....:whew:

Even if Heyer works out, we still need depth. Right now if Samuels or Heyer goes down we are screwed.

Heyer is turning himself into, with Bugels help, a tremendous pass blocking right tackle. Heyer will get a little better as he gains even more experience, now if only he can stay healthy. Problem solved for next 10 years.

Next project, next year. Find Samuels eventual replacement. Probably through the draft.

Archived