Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Jacobs spell the end for Gardner?

I am not saying this year, but I'm just thinking about how he has almost automatically assumed the role of number three receiver jumping ahead of guys who have NFL experience and were in this system last year. But I'm wondering if Gardner goes down or has a bad game, how quickly do you think that SS would want to put in Jacobs? Does anyone think that Jacobs will be a better receiver than Gardner? I was starting to like Gardner because he is much different from our last #1 pick receiver. GIven Gardner dropped a lot of balls his rookie year, and probably last year too, he was able to perform and did something that last guy didnt do in getting a 1000 yard season in his second year. I mean, even with Gardener's drops the past two years, I think he is the only player in our recievers that has proven to this team that he can be a starting reciever in this system in the NFL. I think that should count for a lot.

I wonder if SS would be willing to drop Gardner to #3 before the season starts if Jacobs had a better camp than him. I just think this is an important question because just like people were talking about Dawson coming in and bumping Moore out of the starting lineup, I think it may be a possibility that Jacobs could shuffle our starting recieving corps around some too.

i think when gardner's contract is up we will get a first and third for him... as time goes on more FO's will use the Redskins model fir building a team, but giving up draft choices for them....

anyways, in a few years TJ should prove to be a great compliment to coles in this offense and we should have another WR developed by then also... so we'll let Rod go and get at least a first rounder for him... he has already proven to be worth that much...

I honestly don't think SS would move Jacobs ahead of Gardner before the season started unless injury were a factor or unless Jacobs was light years ahead of Gardner, which is not probable at this point.

In my opinion, let the best man win. If Jacobs deserves to be the starter at some point and is producing, than so be it. I have no attachment to any single player above the team. I believe performance alone is what give a player the right to start.

What's in the water today? All these "How could we let the amazing Darrius Thompson go" threads and now "Let's get rid of Gardner." I don't get it.

Gardner is a possession guy. He's real good at it. The last time we had a WR grab more than 70 passes was Henry Ellard in 1994. And this was only Gardner's second season.

I suspect that if Ramsey and Coles work out, Gardner will too, and Spurrier will realize that having both a speedy guy and a physical guy who can top 1000 yards is a good thing, and we might just keep him around.

The one problem with Spurrier is that he doesn't always have an idea who should be starting. Case in point is his rotating QB's. He simply won't know for some time who the best player is. FWIW, I think Jacobs has as much potential as the other two.

a_spurrier_hi.jpg

Originally posted by codeorama

I have no attachment to any single player above the team. I believe performance alone is what gives a player the right to start.

Amen brother.

We all like to pick our favorite players and form attachments to them (Stephen Davis was my boy) but all in all whoever helps the team win deserves to be here. If Jacobs comes in & puts up silly numbers, Coles is still here, and we get a chance to resign future HOF Derrius Thompson;), maybe we don't need Gardner. But I really don't care as long as the W column far exceeds the L column.

Why in the world would Spurrier let Gardner go? He needs WRs to make his offense hum, and with Coles, Gardner, and Jacobs he might have three guys who can scare defenses. That's powerful stuff.

Spurrier doesn't run a typical two WR offense. He wants to flood the zone, push downfield, let Ramsey drop bombs.

Besides, Gardner is good. Very good. In his second year he's already in the top 20 receivers in yards, and the top 10 in TDs. Guess what? That was with lousy quarterbacking. Imagine what he can do if Ramsey develops.

And anyway, Jacobs hasn't proven jack **** on the field yet. I would love to see him turn into a great WR and push both Coles and Gardner to get better. That would be the best thing for the Skins.

It would be foolish of Spurrier to put TJ, a rookie, ahead of Gardner, a 1000+ yard NFL receiver, on the depth chart. I just do not see this happening at ALL.

I just don't see why people are so down on Gardner. Already in his second year he's had more catches then Westbroken EVER had in a single season, and we were willing to give Westie a chance for more then a few years. And he wasn't on the list of the top ball-droppers in the league; he actually got better as the season progressed, as I recall. Personally, I think Gardner is going to flourish in the Fun-n-Gun, especially with Coles as his opposite.

Shouldn't we be hoping that Gardner is going to do well instead of thinking what we'll get for him as trade-bait? Sheesh! :-)

I think the original post clearly said "not this year..." so certainly Gardner's job is not in jeopardy now, nor is that the discussion.

Frankly, i think Henry hit it right on the head, and nothing more needs to be said of it.

Gardner's a fine WR. If the time comes we must part, then part we will. what's nice is there is a guy like Jacobs who may turn out to be a more than adequate replacement.

That said, I expect Gardner to absolutely shine this year.

~Bang

Gardener's probably not going anywhere for a while. In the NFL, especially in an offense like Spurrier's, you need 3 Good recievers. Not just 2 good starters. Gardener may get to the point to where he'll command big bucks on his next salary, and with all the $$$ the Skins are likely to have tied up in Lavar, Champ, and possibly Smoot, having a #3 reciever like TJ to move up to #2 is a nice bonus. Basically, the Skins are hedging their bets when they drafted TJ. And I doubt the Skins are going to get a 1st and third for Gardener, unless it was a mid-late first, for the following reasons. 1) Top 10 picks, you had better forget about getting unless that team is reciever hungry and has 2) loads of money that Gardener is likely to command to sign him to a nice long contract.

"Personally, I think Gardner is going to flourish in the Fun-n-Gun, especially with Coles as his opposite.

Shouldn't we be hoping that Gardner is going to do well instead of thinking what we'll get for him as trade-bait? Sheesh! :-)"

No dought. Right now Gardner is the best reciever we have and these two guys will only make him better. Until Coles or TJ does something special in one of our uniforms Rod is my man and we are selling him short with talks of premature trades.

GO GARDNER YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i want gardner to play as well as any skin fan, and i want him to be a part of our team for a long time, but i don't see that happening because of the way the cap goes... just because i don't think we will be able to sign him when his contract is up (because i expect him to play very well!!) doesn't mean i am looking forward to getting compensation for him, that i am somehow saying his is no good, or that i hope TJ outplays him-- none of the above are even close to accurate!

HTTR!!

A few predictions:

1. Gardner will be the #1 and have a huge year this year. He will make tons of "possesion catchs", but he'll also make plenty of big plays.

2. The Skins will play mostly 3 wr sets so all 3 wr's will pretty much be starters. Trung, Betts, Morton, and Rock will all see time as single setback.

3. The Skins won't be able to afford to keep Gardner after they win the SB in '04 (does his contract end after '04?). McCants will take over as the big WR, but won't be as good.

:pint:

I like Gardner, I like his big frame and his ability to exploit the middle of the field. What I don't like is his inconsistent hands, which I think have improved, and his regular mental lapses. If there is one thing that Spurrier won't stand for it's his receivers who don't block downfield, don't run the correct routes, and gives up on plays that aren't designed to come his way. Gardner is guilty of all of those. If he improves even more, he's commanding big money come free agency.... and the team will have to cross that bridge when it gets to it.

i don't get it? Talyor Jacobs Could be good, But first year WR's almost always have bad years.

Gardner has been the only Decent WR we've had, and I personaly don't want to see him go. And futhermore he is the only WR on the team that has been with the system for at least a year.Plus I always go for the go who has proven he is good, then the guy who gets all hyped up. I wouldn't be supriesd if Jacobs get 4 or 5 WR this year. He's great and all but Mccants, Johnson have already proved that they can be NFL WR's. Plus Taylor Jacobs is the least knowlegable WR we have on the team.

Originally posted by blakman211

I mean, even with Gardener's drops the past two years, I think he is the only player in our recievers that has proven to this team that he can be a starting reciever in this system in the NFL. /B]

Well of course he is. look at the other holdovers:

McCants: showed flashes but is still very raw.

...oh yeah, that's it.

i agree with you and all, it's just that sentence struck me as kind of,...:dunce:

at some point, people need to get over the impression that gardner has suspect hands. It was true his freshman year, but last year, the man was clutch.

More than anything, gardner showed an excellent leaping ability which has allowed him to get "open" above defenders, to compensaste for his lack of truly top end speed. Despite that, he showed an ability to get open deep as well, sometimes making spectacular catches like the ball he caught in the home opener against arizona, Or the leaping catch in giants stadium surrounded by six giants defenders without another redskin in sight. All of this from a sophmore year player? Granted, he had some bad games towards the end of the season, but some of that came from the fact that people began to realize that gardner wasn't just another reciever on the field, he was something special.

I don't think that there is really any rational reason to believe that coles will do better than gardner next year. Coles benefitted from an excellent QB in a system that he had been in for two years. (I think only two, right, maybe three, but i'm pretty sure two) Also, remember that coles was a third year reciever last year, the typical year when recievers make thier largest strides in thier progressions.

The only real knock on gardner at this point is that he and the QB are often not on the same page. I'm not saying that this is all of gardners fault, but spurrier runs a system where the routes aren't fixed at the snap of the ball. In several cases rod has turned one way only to see the ball sail over his opposite shoulder. Sometimes he curls under bombs as well. However, this only seemed to happen with mathews.....

regardless, gardner was the best player on our offense last year. Or at the very least the most productive. I expect him to be a key part of our success next year. Whether or not he's number one in stats by the end of the year, he'll be proving his worth.

-DB

Aside from Coles taking some thunder away, I think Gardner is going to spank some booty this year. Considering Jacobs hasn't played a down in the NFL, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to start talking bout taking away RGs's position.

Before anyone annoints Jacobs as a replacement for anyone, they had better keep the following in mind:

1. He was never able to beat out Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell when competing for the top 2 receiver positions at Florida.

2. Jacbos struggles mightly versus physical corners, like he'll see every week in the NFL. The best athletes Jacobs played against were from FSU. Check his stats versus them, he produced little or nothing.

Most of the hype surrounding Jacobs comes from his performance versus Maryland in the January 2002 Orange Bowl. Yes, he's back in Spurrier's system, but there is a distinct possibility he could be another Jacquez Green or even Reidell Anthony.

Archived