Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Jacobs spell the end for Gardner?

WE can't become a team of soft finesse receivers like the Rams where an agressive defense will hit you in the mouth and you fold.

Which is why that TD reception by D Mac last year when he was hit in the chops but held on impressed me.

Originally posted by gatorconman

Most of the hype surrounding Jacobs comes from his performance versus Maryland in the January 2002 Orange Bowl. Yes, he's back in Spurrier's system, but there is a distinct possibility he could be another Jacquez Green or even Reidell Anthony.

Thanks for your insight gatorconman. I think anybody who thinks that Jacobs is gonna step in and actually challenge Rod for the #2 spot is on crack. Hopefully, in a few years, he'll be able to improve upon his weaknesses, and show us why he was graded as 1st round talent.

That being said, I think he'll do a tremendous job as the #3 guy this year.

Jacobs, will play very well when he gets his playing time... If you look at Florida Games from about the early 90's.... they had some damm good receivers @ the collage level!!!

The reason Florida did so well is that they always seemed to have multiple threats on the field at WR like Willie Jackson, Jack Jackson, Harison Huston, Chris Doering, Ike Hilliard, Jaquez Green, Riedel Anthony, Jabar Gafdney, Richie Caldwell, Darell Jackson, & Taylor Jacobs.... I know I am missing some but you get the picture...Also keep in mind all these WR are from the past 10 Years or less..

This team was just sooooo deep at WR, and too think most of the above made it into the NFL!!!....Some may have not played a significant role in some cases, but they beat out the existing players in their respective positions... so may they be rated good or bad in our opinions.... WHOS BETTER... if they keep winning the starting job or just making the team???

This will be the first time that I can think of, that a Florida WR was drafted to a team where there was massive tallent already in place...This will be the true test in how well Florida players adapt to the NFL in my opinion... I feel he has big years ahead of him!!!

GOOOOOO SKINS!!!!!:cheers: :cheers:

Skinster!!!!

Skin 4 Life

Whoever wins the 3rd receiver job has a chance to produce for us and here is why. Teams learned from the Rams that a speedy slot receiver is deadly against the nickle corner, safety, or LB. As teams have begun to move their #1 receiver into the slot, defensive coordinators have moved their top corner into the slot. We did this with Champ last year. Having 3 good WR's is a staple of SS offense. We did not have the tools to run the O last year. Some DB's are going to be doing some serious backpeddling when the ball is snapped this year. Last year DB's could make a mistake in coverage here and there and still recover eiher due to poor line, slow receivers, weak throws, or the famous Matthews check down dump offs. I don't want to sound to much like a homer, but I have a feeling that we are going to get to see the verticality of the FNG this year.

I just had to throw the word verticality in my discourse!!!

fortunately for Spurrier, he can have this great selection at WR. Jacobs is NOT in the same position used in the NFL. He won't be in a position ever to unseat Lavernius Coles or Gardner. He's either slot or 3 WR set. However, unlike most offenses that will use 3 set sometimes, the Skins more than likely will burst out on the scene with it often. This keeps Jacobs active, contributing and happy in an offense that could easily let him catch it enough to match Gardner's numbers, even as a number 3.

You have to go back to the time when Art Monk, Gary Clark, and either Seay or Sanders was with them in the constant use of 3 WR's overall. The 3rd receiver, however, wasn't always in the slot with Gibbs offense, but would come in spot replacements sometimes. When the smoke cleared, all receivers had at least 65 to 70 catches, two close to 1,000 yards or at least one well over it, and all three with at least 5 or 6 TD catches, with the most by one sometimes being double digits and Pro Bowl honors.

The potential is now in place for the same thing.

Russell is someone I will watch when I get to camp to see closer.

I dont' expect a lot, but may have a chance to see the speed and what other tid bits are there that impresses so many people.

Gardner dropped passes his rookie year but unless I missed something, he didn't drop many last year. So lets get off this thing about drops. I love the way our WRs our set up. Jacobs this year looks like a perfect #3.

the demands of the cap are that you can't stockpile talent at a given position over time.

if Jacobs turns out to be better than expected and is able by the end of the year to look like a surefire starting receiver in the NFL, I think Gardner is gone.

The Skins with Bailey up and other spots to fill simply can't afford to bid for Gardner. The signing of Coles means that we have staked ourselves on him as the #1 receiver.

The other starting job opposite will be one of transition over the next several years.

It may very well be that as with Darrell Green, the Skins end up with a NUMBER of starting WR's opposite Coles over time.

It is unlikely that if Jacobs develops and becomes a hot commodity that we will be able to keep him past his rookie contract either.

That's why teams need to continue to draft well and add players each year.

Gatorconman,

I disagree with some of your stuff.

Before anyone annoints Jacobs as a replacement for anyone, they had better keep the following in mind:

1. He was never able to beat out Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell when competing for the top 2 receiver positions at Florida.

Big deal, he took a little longer to learn. He was the fastest receiver out of all of them.

2. Jacobs struggles mightly versus physical corners, like he'll see every week in the NFL. The best athletes Jacobs played against were from FSU. Check his stats versus them, he produced little or nothing.

Disagree. FSU's corners were pretty bad last year. He had great games against some of the best college competition.

REC YDS YDS/P TD

Tennessee 9 141 15.7 2

Auburn 11 110 10.0 1

FSU 7 95 13.6 0

I'll take 95 yards from him any time.

Most of the hype surrounding Jacobs comes from his performance versus Maryland in the January 2002 Orange Bowl. Yes, he's back in Spurrier's system, but there is a distinct possibility he could be another Jacquez Green or even Reidell Anthony.

Disagree about the hype statemnt. A lot of the hype comes from his excellent senior year:

Entire year:

REC YDS YDS/P TD

71 1088 15.3 8

This despite missing 3 games.

How well will he do in the NFL? Who knows. He very well could be a Jackass Green.

Archived